Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Midnight Commander

[EDIT I 03/12/2008]
I attached a installation package.
You can start mc in mrxvt with "mc" or "/usr/local/bin/startmc".
Installation script has set a symbolic link via "ln -s /usr/local/bin/startmc /usr/bin/mc".
mrxvt is included in the zip file. I have used the modded version in this post. If you use the matchbox keyboard most of the time, you should read this and use 0.4v instead, which includes Macros to emulate non-existing keys on iLiad's software keyboard.
Contents of zip file:
# mc.iLiad.0.1.install [mc installation package]
# mrxvt_iliad_0.3.1 [shell terminal mrxvt]
# doc [mc FAQ, man pages]
# mc 4.6.1 iLiad 0.1.png [screenshot]
# Readme.txt [this file]

[EDIT II 03/12/2008]
#I have downloaded an unofficial mc src code mc-4.6.2.pre1-1.2.src.rpm with dozens of patch files, which UTF-8 patch file to choose?
Maybe compiling this will solve problem with non standard characters, as described below.
# I changed attached zip file [mpc*.zip != mc*.zip; added some lines in Readme.txt].
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Midnight Commander (mc) is an orthodox file manager for Unix-like systems (also works in Windows) and a clone of Norton Commander.
Midnight Commander is a text mode application. The main interface consists of two panels which display the file system. It is used in a similar way to many other programs run in the Unix shell. Arrow keys control file selection, the insert key is used to select files and the Function Keys perform operations such as renaming, editing and copying files. Later versions of the Midnight Commander additionally have mouse support for easier operation. Such versions are aware of running inside an X terminal, which allows them to react to the graphical pointer and update the name of the window in which Midnight Commander runs.
Yes, the compiled version 4.6.1 has got mouse/stylus support.

Who wants to use mc?

It is running on my iLiad. Nice for viewing/editing files on the go.
I will post a installation package tomorrow or so.

You will need a USB keyboard [matchbox keyboard hasn't got Fn or ESC keys] & shell app like mrxvt.

screenshots:
# mrxvt mc session
# mrxvt mc session [maximized mrxvt window]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Midnight_Commander.png
Views:	1578
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	11416   Click image for larger version

Name:	mc 4.6.1 iLiad 0.1.png
Views:	1329
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	11455  
Attached Files
File Type: zip mc.4.6.1.iLiad.0.1.zip (3.06 MB, 1218 views)

Last edited by yokos; 03-12-2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: EDIT II
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
The first application I install on any new Linux machine is MC... is there life without it
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I have used MC on PC for several years.
Waiting for the package for installation.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
You will need a USB keyboard [matchbox keyboard hasn't got Fn or ESC keys] & shell app like mrxvt.
We really need an alternative to the iLiad's matchbox keyboard, but you can get ESC in mrxvt see mrxvt ported to iLiad: post #42 and ESC 3 (say) is F3.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc FAQ
4.4 I have problems with entering/viewing national characters!

Upgrade to version 4.0.12 or newer.

From the Options - Display Bits dialog select Full 8 bits or ISO
8859-1. In addition, select 8 bit input from the same dialog.
I have done this, but I still can't see national characters.

screenshot: I have set
Code:
export LANG=de_DE
export LC_MESSAGES=de_DE
but öüäß are garbage letters in menu/mcedit etc.

@ wallcraft: uhh this is complicated. Did I understand this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	national_characters.png
Views:	841
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	11418  
Advert
Old 03-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.

Installation package is out now.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
I love mc, and as with Alexander it is one of the first things I install wherever I can. It is great to have it on the iliad. It looks great! I don't have an external keyboard (yet).
One thing I noticed is that when clicking on (for example) the F2 key or the menu at the top I sometimes have to activate the builtin keybaord to get that key press to register or the screen to refresh. I'm not sure if this is a typeahead issue, or something that could be tweaked. I must say I am impressed with this.

Ah, it seems I'm not allowe to give you more karma just yet. You'll have to ease up on the clever stuff for a while
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daudi View Post
[...]
One thing I noticed is that when clicking on (for example) the F2 key or the menu at the top I sometimes have to activate the builtin keybaord to get that key press to register or the screen to refresh. I'm not sure if this is a typeahead issue, or something that could be tweaked. I must say I am impressed with this.
Scotty's mrxvt port decides when the screen get's a refresh.*
Yepp, I need to press a key [=event for refresh] from time to time to see some entries.

*I have compiled aterm, but it doesn't start, because of a font problem.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
With some apps, a stylus tap anywhere in the window will refresh. I'm not sure if that is the case with mrxvt though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:12 AM   #10
Ovydake
Ovydake began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
I can't use mc with ssh, ehen I press the Function keys I get F1=P F2=Q F3=R F4=S F5=15~ and ehen I press the arrow keys I get A,B,C and D, what can I do to make mc run in ssh?

Last edited by Ovydake; 08-11-2008 at 05:32 AM.
Ovydake is offline   Reply With Quote