Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #16
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by richman View Post
You don't own a psp, I do. And the sony 505 is much ,much, much more fragile. No comparison. The 505 is super thin and the screen is spread out 3 or 4 times over much wider surface. The smaller itouch and other small devices are small and thicker, on the most part. Since itouch and 505 are about same price, I know he would like the itouch a lot more and he can do a lot of more type stuff on it. Maybe a 200 dollar netbook would be best, since he could use it for school too and is cheaper than ereader.
That's not a bad idea. Just make sure you get one with good specs.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #17
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
The older Palm OS devices are less fragile, and good starting ebook readers. Used ones are often available very cheap. (And they have a bonus: hundreds of free & shareware programs.)

I loved my Sony Cliés; I only looked for a dedicated ebook reader when I realized there was no way to get a new, better one (one dead screen; two dead from battery problems) because they don't make them anymore.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #18
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!
Siwickimom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505- Sangria :) and Black Aluratek Libre
Thanks to everyone for all the creative and helpful suggestions! I have been checking back on the thread to read the replies but we've had a crazy few days and I'm just now able to respond.

The Ebookwise Reader looks very durable and kid-friendly. I tried checking out the forums for it but it's confusing. Can I convert other formats to IMP, easily? Or is it going to be a big headache?

I am mulling the idea of an iTouch around in my head right now. The problem with that is that with wiFi and all the other features of it, I doubt he'd be doing much reading, lol. And I think I'd be jealous.

Are any of the new 5" readers on the horizon going to have a non-glass/substrate screen?

And then there's this:
http://www.teleread.org/2008/06/28/i...t-an-e-reader/

Which actually looks pretty awesome. And I wouldn't have known about it without all of you
Siwickimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #19
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
yeah.
I have ds lite ereader program and yeah for 11 year old , that is the way to go, it's a gaming machine and ereader.
And target has it on sale for 99 dollars this week.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #20
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
I know I'm late coming to the discussion, but my daughter got a PRS-500 when she was 11. As soon as the 505 was released, she got one of those. She's almost 14 now, and she's had that 505 for more than 1.5 years. She loves reading, so she's very careful of her reader. We did get her an eCaddy for the 505. Amazon has them http://www.amazon.com/eCaddy-Hardshe...194324&sr=8-10

I think young kids can handle electronics if they are taught to treat them properly. She's had hand-me-down pdas since she was five. The only person in this house who ever broke a screen was her dad.

Last edited by JanetCinNC; 08-13-2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: fixed a sentence
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #21
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
btw, a PSP makes an excellent ebook reader.

you can hack the psp with custom firmware, or, there are programs that can convert a text file to images tailored to the width of the psp screen, or you can just save a text file or html file onto the psp, and use the web browser to view it.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:57 AM   #22
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Having an 11 yo boy myself, my only other thought, besides breakage questions, is keep in mind many schools will not allow kids to bring electronic devices. So, if he wants to read at school, he'll need a regular paper book. My 14.5 yo has ereader envy too--but he only reads at school or on the bus. I decided it wasn't worth the money to get him a reader yet; his school is quite adamantly opposed to any electronic devices. If they see it or hear it they confiscate it.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:45 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I really would not buy an eBook reader for an 11 year old. Why does he need one? What's wrong with paper books?

When I was 11 I was busy "devouring" my local library...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #24
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really would not buy an eBook reader for an 11 year old. Why does he need one? What's wrong with paper books?

When I was 11 I was busy "devouring" my local library...
Well, one thing wrong with paper books is that I don't want to have to buy a ebook for me and a paper copy of a book if my daughter wants to read it, too. I don't loan out my Sony reader - I'd go crazy without it, so each person in my family has his/her own Sony reader so we can share books. We don't all read all the same things, but there is a lot of overlap.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote