Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #34846
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Villagers on the roads in Vietnam would sell sandwiches with a very sweet-tasting meat. Having heard that dog meat is sweet, I always assumed that's what it was.
That was probably rat or some other rodent. Most rodents in rural S.E. Asia feed on grain... well, rice or other natural grass seeds. And Rat-on-a-Stick is pretty common. BBQ'd, it's downright tasty! It's meat-eaters that get the strong, bad tastes. Grain-fed animals tend to taste rather nice.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 11-07-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #34847
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
That was probably rat or some other rodent. Most rodents in rural S.E. Asia feed on grain... well, rice or other natural grass seeds. And Rat-on-a-Stick is pretty common. BBQ'd, it's downright tasty! It's meat-eaters that get the strong, bad tastes. Grain-fed animals tend to taste rather nice.

Stitchawl
It was good eatin', whatever it was.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #34848
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Off to check my Retirement Fund.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #34849
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Huh! Once again some rascal got my money. I'm beginning to think investing in this company may not be the wisest retirement strategy.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #34850
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Off to check my Retirement Fund.
Do you have to live in Virginia to play? . I just checked the FAQs and couldn't see anything about out-of-state participation.

Last edited by orlok; 11-07-2012 at 10:12 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #34851
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I really don't know how that works. You can probably find something on the website, though.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #34852
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I really don't know how that works. You can probably find something on the website, though.
I'm kidding really. A reasonable proportion of my disposable income already goes on our own National Lottery. Otherwise known as my pension fund.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #34853
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm kidding really. A reasonable proportion of my disposable income already goes on our own National Lottery. Otherwise known as my pension fund.
So we both pay the tax on the mathematically illiterate!

Oh, well. False hope is better than none. That's what I buy with my weekly tickets.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #34854
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
So we both pay the tax on the mathematically illiterate!
Exactly. I can't remember who said the quote "the lottery is for people who don't understand maths". Count me in . As you say, it's about being the eternal optimist...
Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #34855
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Looking for an internal HDD for my media player. Up until now I've been using 2 USB thumbdrives to ferry backwards and forwards between PC and mediaplayer but it's now time to get a 2TB HDD build in. Using that I can connect the player via USB to my computer and copy files (doesn't work with the thumbdrives).

According to the website of the manufacturer it's best to get a 5400rpm because those are quieter than 7200rpm. However, my local computer store has a Western Digital with variable bitrate, so now I'm wondering if that'll work okay.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #34856
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For you guys playing the lottery... My offer of a guaranteed 50% return on investment still stands.

It's better than 0%, right, and no guarantee?

Stitchawl
Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #34857
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Looking for an internal HDD for my media player. Up until now I've been using 2 USB thumbdrives to ferry backwards and forwards between PC and mediaplayer but it's now time to get a 2TB HDD build in. Using that I can connect the player via USB to my computer and copy files (doesn't work with the thumbdrives).

According to the website of the manufacturer it's best to get a 5400rpm because those are quieter than 7200rpm. However, my local computer store has a Western Digital with variable bitrate, so now I'm wondering if that'll work okay.
I have 2TB drives and now a 3Tb drive. All 7200 rpm. They are just as quiet as my small, older drives. And as they are the new USB3 platform, much faster than the old ones. If your computer isn't set up for USB3, you can get a card for it for about $25 USD.

Stitchawl
Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #34858
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
For you guys playing the lottery... My offer of a guaranteed 50% return on investment still stands.

It's better than 0%, right, and no guarantee?

Stitchawl
That's such a tempting offer...as long as you'll invest your earnings in this excellent little pyramid multi-layered selling scheme I've developed...
Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #34859
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
That's such a tempting offer...as long as you'll invest your earnings in this excellent little pyramid multi-layered selling scheme I've developed...
Amway or Shacklee?

Stitchawl
Old 11-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #34860
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
I have 2TB drives and now a 3Tb drive. All 7200 rpm. They are just as quiet as my small, older drives. And as they are the new USB3 platform, much faster than the old ones. If your computer isn't set up for USB3, you can get a card for it for about $25 USD.

Stitchawl
It isn't for my PC, but my media player (one that you hook up to your tv). The manufacturer advices 5200rpm because it's quieter and cooler than a 7200rmp. They also say that you don't need that speed to play your files. The local stores only have 7200rpm or the WD variable one, since that's cheaper and, according to WD, cool and quiet I'm getting that one.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?