Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
AncientGardener
AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
How do you promote your book?

I've finished my first e-book and its on Amazon and i'm proud of it.

Of course unless I do something to attract attention to it, my early retirement recedes into the distance. I can imagine that doing nothing will result in a trickle of sales (there's 21,867 other books in the same category).

I'm going to contact lots of reviewers, magazines, newspapers, etc to get them to write about the book and tell the world. I've built a website too.

What have/would you do to get your precious book noticed?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-05-2012 at 07:25 AM.
AncientGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
We first proofread our titles!

Let me know if you want the title of this thread corrected.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Don
(Moderator)
My thoughts exactly on the title, though it is easy to accidentally mis-type something now and then.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Keep writing. I've found success at offering an introductory product at a reduced price or free. Sales of my initial book went up after I released a lead-in novella that told a brief but complete story involving some of the main characters.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:23 AM   #5
AncientGardener
AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Don
(Moderator)
Yes please.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Think about what makes you buy a book, and do that. Then think about what annoys you about people trying to sell something and don't do that.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Think about what makes you buy a book, and do that. Then think about what annoys you about people trying to sell something and don't do that.
Hmmm.....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
You could start a rumour that your doddering old grandmother used a lottery ticket for a book mark then returned the book to the store before learning that the ticket had won.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
AncientGardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
You could start a rumour that your doddering old grandmother used a lottery ticket for a book mark then returned the book to the store before learning that the ticket had won.
That's a bit tricky with an ebook

I was hoping to hear of people's secrets to success...
Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
bigjantailor
Defender of Consciousness
bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My plan is to send letter to Southern US church leader say that the book (my book) turned my children against God and the church so it need to be band. A book that has a banning attempt on it's dust jacket goes right to the best seller list.

Have fun, Jan
bigjantailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientGardener View Post
That's a bit tricky with an ebook

I was hoping to hear of people's secrets to success...
TBH there have been numerous threads on this, in this subsection in fact. Maybe a good place to start would be with reading them.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
TBH there have been numerous threads on this, in this subsection in fact. Maybe a good place to start would be with reading them.
But if anyone here does have the magic answer they're keeping it to themself. The key to marketing isn't bombarding random people with stuff they don't want, it's finding the people who do want it. There's thousands of forums out there for people with any minority interest you could think of. One of those would probably be the best place to start, but there's no point just throwing adverts at them, they'll just tune you out.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
But if anyone here does have the magic answer they're keeping it to themself. The key to marketing isn't bombarding random people with stuff they don't want, it's finding the people who do want it. There's thousands of forums out there for people with any minority interest you could think of. One of those would probably be the best place to start, but there's no point just throwing adverts at them, they'll just tune you out.
True, but that's not what all the discussions involve, there is lots of actual good information. But I agree the best way is to "Write better fiction" - the market will find you.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #14
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It is simple really...

1) Write a GOOD book
2) Have it professionally edited
3) Get a good cover
4) Get book edited again
5) Put book in ever store you have access to, mention it to everywhere you can (blogs, friends, FB, Twitter, etc, etc)
6) While doing step 5, go back and start over with step one.
7) Repeat unlit you are dead.
8) Profit!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
True, but that's not what all the discussions involve, there is lots of actual good information. But I agree the best way is to "Write better fiction" - the market will find you.
Is this a variation on what Sue Grafton said?

"If you have a good story to tell and if you write it well, the Universe will come to your aid."

To the OP: Make sure your book is listed on GR, Shelfari and Library Thing. Create an author page with them.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote