Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The 2019 Annual Reading Challenge Discussion Thread

2019 Reading Challenge Discussion Thread

Welcome to our 10th Annual Reading Challenge!

Maybe you would like to read a certain number of pages this year, finish a certain number of books, concentrate on a specific genre or deplete your ever-growing TBR list. Maybe you're looking for ideas or you just want to see how far you can go…

This is the thread where we can share our personal goals and strategies or ask for suggestions and support. New ideas are encouraged and always welcomed.

The Annual Reading Challenge is neither a race, contest, nor an “exclusive club”, anyone can join! This is just a fun activity that some of us have enjoyed doing in the past. Many of us have found reading challenges to be an entertaining way to set goals for ourselves, get ideas for books, and see what others are reading.

You are welcome to keep track of the books you have read (or another goal) in the List Thread, here:

Plus, if you would like to discuss a particular book, please participate in the Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading? thread and share your thoughts about the book with others.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:55 AM   #2
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Despite what the time stamp says, this was not posted when it says it was. Thanks pdurrant!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2018, 03:06 AM   #3
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

This challenge could be just the spur I need to break up my lazy reading of mysteries, thrilllers and SF with a serious assault on my non-English library, thanks!
Old 12-11-2018, 05:17 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Despite what the time stamp says, this was not posted when it says it was. Thanks pdurrant!
Actually, it was. Just not anywhere ordinary members could see it. You weren't the only one to remind me!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:39 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
So how many of us reached our goals for 2018? Personally if I finish out the year the way I am going I will barely miss the goal lines. That means 2019's goal lines will be just shy of where 2018s goal lines were.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
My goal was 32 books and I'm on my 45th. Not too bad. Doubt I'd ever hit 50 though.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My goals for 2019 are similar to 2018. The main difference is that I'm going to discontinue my Asimov subscription (painful) and halt my Audible subscription until next Black Friday week in an effort to work harder on moving the TBR total to a more reasonable number. When I saw the total $$ number of what I paid for yet unread books and magazines, I decided I needed to work much harder on that.

Goals are 100 books, 25 magazines, and lower TBR.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-13-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #8
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Length Goals:
  • Total Books: 50 (a stretch goal of 75)
  • Total Pages: 15,000 (a stretch goal of 25,000)
  • TBR Reduction: Reduce by at least 25 (a stretch goal of 50)
Substantive Goals:
  • Read at least 51% non-American authors
  • Read more female/gender-fluid authors than male
  • Read at least 52 short stories
  • Read at least 10 of the Mobile Read Book Club selections

Turns out my best years are when I put the least restrictions on myself. These were my goals last year, and I am going to try them again this year.

Opening Stats:

Total TBR as of 1.1.19 - 1342
  • 624 Ebooks
  • 566 DT books
  • 152 Audiobooks
Many of the paper books in our collection properly belong to my wife. They are comics anthologies or other things that interested her. She does not like reading on an e-reader, so we still have a large collection of physical books. But I want to read a good handful of them as well, so I do count the whole collection in my TBR.

Gender Breakdown
  • 838 unread books by men
  • 430 unread books by women
  • 1 unread book by a nonbinary gender
  • 52 books that are co-authored or have writings from both genders
Really need to diversify. I know that my collection is topheavy with male authors from my university days. When one took a degree in literature, one was going to read a lot of male (and mostly white) authors. Clearly, it took my buying habits a few years to change after that.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:34 PM   #9
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Goal 75 books (but will probably be more)
Pass first exam on way to chartership (April 19)
try to not buy everything at 99p a book
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:09 PM   #10
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
My goal is to complete my pop sugar challenge. I will be quite busy with my classes. So 100 books is not doable this time around.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #11
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo H2O and Motorola XOOM 2(for comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
For the first time, I'll be doing the PopSugar Challenge. List below.

1. A book becoming a movie in 2019

2. A book that makes you nostalgic

3. A book written by a musician (fiction or nonfiction)

4. A book you think should be turned into a movie

5. A book with at least one million ratings on Goodreads

6. A book with a plant in the title or on the cover

7. A reread of a favorite book

8. A book about a hobby

9. A book you meant to read in 2018

10. A book with POP, SUGAR, or CHALLENGE in the title

11. A book with an item of clothing or accessory on the cover

12. A book inspired by myth/legend/folklore

13. A book published posthumously

14. A book you see someone reading on TV or in a movie

15. A retelling of a classic

16. A book with a question in the title

17. A book set on college or university campus

18. A book about someone with a superpower

19. A book told from multiple POVs

20. A book set in space

21. A book by two female authors

22. A book with SALTY, SWEET, BITTER, or SPICY in the title

23. A book set in Scandinavia

24. A book that takes place in a single day

25. A debut novel

26. A book that's published in 2019

27. A book featuring an extinct or imaginary creature

28. A book recommended by a celebrity you admire

29. A book with LOVE in the title

30. A book featuring an amateur detective

31. A book about a family

32. A book author from Asia, Africa, or South America

33. A book with a zodiac sign or astrology term in title

34. A book that includes a wedding

35. A book by an author whose first and last names start with the same letter

36. A ghost story

37. A book with a two-word title

38. A novel based on a true story

39. A book revolving around a puzzle or game

40. Your favorite prompt from a past POPSUGAR Reading challenge

2015 #17 - A book by an author you've never read before.
For the number four Metro 2033 and Phoenix Island are books that I'm still waiting for a movie. At least for Metro we have the game.

I also recommend them for you to read.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Blas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:07 AM   #12
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Thanks man. I’ve chosen most of my prompts but nothing’s set in stone. Especially number four. Phoenix island...i’ll Look it up.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:46 AM   #13
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I've decided to do a Science fiction challenge for 2019. I also consider this to be more of a left brain challenge and last years fantasy challenge was more right brain.

I read 62 books for 2018 goal of 52, but decided to keep the 52 book goal for 2019.

Last edited by Wearever; 01-02-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:33 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm off to a rotten start on the year; I've read two books I didn't like and purchased four books I oughtn't to have bought. It's going to take a lot of effort to climb out of the hole to get my average rating up to a respectable figure and amortize my books read and their cost over time.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #15
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I chose my first book for my science fiction 2019 challenge. Friday by Robert Heinlein. So far I'm enjoying it.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote