Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
davewellington
davewellington began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Special Offers/Ad Kindle - any trouble registering this outside of the USA?

Our Kindle 3 recently died, and is outside of warranty. Amazon will replace it, but want $65 USD, plus postage both ways (from and to New Zealand), which is a little steep. I'm considering getting a new Kindle, and seeing that the ad-sponsored model is $79 USD, i'm considering ordering it through a friend.

Is there any issues registering a US ad-supported Kindle with a non-US account?

Thanks for the help
davewellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, none whatsoever.

However: I would very strongly recommend that you spend $20 more and get the Ad-supported Kindle Touch for $99. You get double the battery life, almost 3x the amount of user storage space, text-to-speech, audio, and more besides. It's well worth the additional $20.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:20 AM   #3
eastereve
eastereve began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Since touch is not sold outside US yet, can i register it with non-US address
and can i buy books with non us credit card? i knew there will be less choices and much more expensive by using non-US credit card for books.

thanks
eastereve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastereve View Post
and can i buy books with non us credit card? i knew there will be less choices and much more expensive by using non-US credit card for books.

thanks
As mentioned above, no problems. Just you don't get the option to remove ads, as you're not using an American account. But they're better screensavers than the dead authors.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #5
nerduban
nerduban began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch 5.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastereve View Post

thanks
I bought mine when I was in the US, and Amazon didn't accept a non-US address for registration. Then I entered the hotel address and it worked fine.

Buying something from Amazon with a non-US credit card is possible, I did that.
nerduban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
cph
cph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I use an ad supported Kindle Touch in Germany. No bigger problems with it. Registering it was also no problem.
cph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
I just (Monday) purchased an ad-supported Kindle Touch while on vacation in Puerto Rico. Fired it up in the hotel and linked it to my existing Canadian Amazon/Kindle account. Device functioned flawlessly both in P.R. and now that I'm back home. No problems whatsoever.

I will also add this: I don't find the ads disruptive or obtrusive at all and I'm a guy who uses ad blocking plugins on pretty much everything. I had plans to pay the extra money to remove the special offers once I got home (the store I bought the Kindle at was out of stock on the full price units) but, at least for now, I won't bother.

Let me also add my voice to those who are recommending spending the extra $20 to get the Touch rather than the K4. You won't be disappointed. It is a very nice device.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ad-supported, import, kindle, overseas