Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #16
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Kindles are popular enough that Libraries are starting to get more and more mobi filed books that can be read on the Kindle. EPub might be a nice format but when a large number of the ereaders out there use a different format it is not surprising to hear the more libraries are moving to accommodate that ereader.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #17
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Kindles are popular enough that Libraries are starting to get more and more mobi filed books that can be read on the Kindle. EPub might be a nice format but when a large number of the ereaders out there use a different format it is not surprising to hear the more libraries are moving to accommodate that ereader.
I don't know if that is really the case. You can read them on the kindle, but you have to alter them with a python script first. I doubt most readers care to do this.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #18
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
Quote:
To my knowledge the 3 libraries I plan on using when I buy an ereader don't use mobi. I can see why they wouldn't either. They're on a limited budget, and probably want to use a fomat that is available on several different ereaders as opposed to just one.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #19
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Um, no. Not really. There were some libraries that acquired mobi based files for a while but most libraries are now doing the bulk of the ebook collection in epub. And as has been pointed out, even library mobi titles can't be read on a kindle without running python scripts on them.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:27 AM   #20
rblover
Connoisseur
rblover began at the beginning.

Device: none as yet
boswd - Do you NEED to visit the library to get a copy of War Of The Worlds, or Moby Dick? Not really. Such classics are available for free, or nearly free, at The Kindle Store on Amazon. Since that is most of what I will be reading-classics-I can get by nicely with a Kindle 3. A pal of mine prefers reading recent best sellers-the latest Stephen King, etc. He prefers the library for such, so he would be better off with a Nook, which I understand can download from libraries, while-I'm told-the Kindle doesn't. So...if I am wrong in this, where, and how, have I erred, and what are the facts?
rblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #21
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblover View Post
boswd - Do you NEED to visit the library to get a copy of War Of The Worlds, or Moby Dick? Not really. Such classics are available for free, or nearly free, at The Kindle Store on Amazon. Since that is most of what I will be reading-classics-I can get by nicely with a Kindle 3. A pal of mine prefers reading recent best sellers-the latest Stephen King, etc. He prefers the library for such, so he would be better off with a Nook, which I understand can download from libraries, while-I'm told-the Kindle doesn't. So...if I am wrong in this, where, and how, have I erred, and what are the facts?

the reasson for my "say what" is BN has soo many great classics available for free or basically Free for .99. In fact this summer they have been running a Free Classics download special. Let alone the vast majority that are out there on Google and other sites. These are great classics that have been cleaned up, have editors notes and annotations, proof read etc.

BN is kind of know for their classics. You should check it out

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks...linkid=1591650

and there are alot more not listed in this particualr catagory. and what's great about BN classics is the fact they are cleaned up etc. They're really nice.

there was a thread on them in general discussion and Freebies

Last edited by boswd; 08-13-2010 at 12:41 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblover View Post
From the research I have done it seems that if you mainly want to read recent best sellers for little, to no, money you should get a Nook, and download from a local public library. If you don't care so much for recent best sellers, and prefer older classics for little to no money, get a Kindle, and download form the Kindle store.
Actually most classics are available in a variety of formats from txt to epub to mobi...from Project Guttenberg, Google Books, Feedbooks or here on MR. Epub appears to be the coalescing standard format so I'd go (and do) with that.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #23
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There are 1.8 million free classics available at Amazon or through Guttenberg, or Feedbooks.

Personally, I prefer to buy the mobilereference versions. I get all of an authors work, formatted properly, with a table of contents for $5. It is easier then downloading all of Mark Twain's work and that is good enough for me.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #24
lacymarie7575
reading about reading ;->
lacymarie7575 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, BB
Thumbs up OMG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
This is how it works for the Sony. It will probably be the same for the nook as long as you leave the WiFi off.

Use Adobe Digital Editions to drag and drop the library book onto your reader, or add it with calibre or whatever you want. It will expire at a certain date and time. Once the book is on your device, manually change the date under the settings menu. Sonys automatically sync the date and time when you connect them to a computer (at least the 300/600/900 Readers) so as long as you don't connect it, it will continue to keep the wrong date. You can set it back a month or two on the Sony and the book on your device will never expire, even though it returns to the library you got it from and you can't open the file on your computer any more.

You could also strip the DRM and copy the book but I have no idea how to do that.

Hope this helps.
Thank you soooooo much!!
lacymarie7575 is offline   Reply With Quote