Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
coeus
coeus can extract oil from cheesecoeus can extract oil from cheesecoeus can extract oil from cheesecoeus can extract oil from cheesecoeus can extract oil from cheesecoeus can extract oil from cheesecoeus can extract oil from cheesecoeus can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook; Motorola Milestone
PRS-505 still expensive :(

Doing a search on ebay I see that the PRS-505 is going for $200-250.

Anyone know why, when Borders is selling the newer Touch Edition for $169.99.

I'm looking to buy a new e-book reader, but I'm not impressed with the complaints about the Touch Edition overly reflective screen. I also looked at the Nook but the lower screen looks like it could be distracting. Kobo doesn't seem to support a lot of file formats. The Kindle2 is too bulky for my tastes, I don't want a keyboard on my ebook reader.

I really liked the PRS-505 (and regret selling mine a year ago), however I'm surprised they haven't gone down much in price. Can anyone here recommend a reader similar to the 505. Simple, support a lot of file formats, but has newer eInk technology?
coeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #2
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
They haven't gone down in price because they're no longer manufactured/sold by Sony. So, you can only get them second-hand and a lot of people still think they are one of the best readers around.

I love my Pocketbook 360 if you don't mind a 5" screen. I thought I would and I don't. I like it better than the 6 inch because of how easy it is to hold. You might also like the Sony PRS-300, which is very similar to the 505, but is 5". The big downfall for me was it has no slot for a memory card so you are limited to the onboard memory.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 01:44 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Simple: the Sony PRS-505 is the best ebook reader ever built. Okay, I might be biased, being a 505 owner myself, but I do honestly think they are. They're solid, reliable, ergonomically wonderful, sturdy, and flexible. They're very compact, unlike readers with keypads, weird LCD things, etc. They have incredible battery life. The screen is easy to read. They don't have a touch screen, so you can read while eating Cheetos. The can take SD cards or Sony Memory Sticks. If you put PRS+ on them (I've been too lazy so far) they're even cooler.

If you want a wireless connection, and the concomitant ability of your device manufacturer or book vendor to monitor your reading, delete books off your device, etc., the 505 isn't for you.

If you want a touch screen and don't care about reliability, making sure to thoroughly wash your hands before reading, and a blurry screen, the 505 isn't for you.

If you want a device that is more about surfing the Web, playing games, and answering your email than about reading ebooks, then the 505 isn't for you.

But if you want a device that you can load up with thousands of ebooks and read anywhere, no muss, no fuss, then there's nothing better than a 505. We're a two-505 family now, and thinking about picking up a spare in case one of ours meets with some sorry fate. There is absolutely no ebook reader that I would recommend as equal to, let alone better than, the 505.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:58 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Simple: the Sony PRS-505 is the best ebook reader ever built.
Unless you happen to want to store your books in folders, read them fully justified, search them, make notes on them, look up words in a dictionary, or any one of a dozen other things that more modern readers will do .

Yes, the 505 is a very nice reader, but "the best ebook reader ever built"? No, I don't think so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:46 AM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by coeus View Post
I also looked at the Nook but the lower screen looks like it could be distracting.
Coeus-just wanted to make sure you realize that the lower screen turns off when not in use. You can set the option for how long it'll stay on before turning itself off. So, when you're reading on the e-ink screen, the LCD screen will be off.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 05:28 AM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unless you happen to want to store your books in folders, read them fully justified, search them, make notes on them, look up words in a dictionary, or any one of a dozen other things that more modern readers will do .

Yes, the 505 is a very nice reader, but "the best ebook reader ever built"? No, I don't think so.
And the screen is too small, page turns are a lot slower than newer devices and the screen on my 800 is a lot better.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:25 AM   #7
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
I love my 505 but I haven't picked it up since I got my iPad. The 505 is a very well made device and unusually for Sony not crippled by some stupid proprietary innovation of theirs.

The main downside for me was PDF support. Sure it displays them but too small usually or hugely disjointed if you zoom in.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
aliettedb
aliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
I had a similar problem about six months ago, and I ended up plumping for the Bebook mini. Main drawback is that it's a 5'', but honestly I like that a lot--this means I can slip it up in my bag and always have something to read with me.
aliettedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
You can still get a 505 brend new from amazon.co.uk and amazon.de vendors. I bought two NIB 505s last month, just so I'll have spares if the one I'm using breaks...
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
There are also some for sale here at the Flea Market every once in awhile.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
You can still get a 505 brend new from amazon.co.uk and amazon.de vendors. I bought two NIB 505s last month, just so I'll have spares if the one I'm using breaks...
Bear in mind that, even though these devices may well be "new" in the sense that the box is sealed, Lithium Ion batteries degrade with time, and these will be at least a year old now, and will already have lost a noticeable proportion of their capacity, and will continue to do so as time passes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
The 505 is the best Sony reader ever made, but calling it the best overall is a huge stretch.

I personally think the Nook is the best for me, but I think the Kindle 2 is just as good for some.

1. The color touchscreen on the Nook is not "weird." It works well for navigation, shows color cover art, and auto turns off. You can also use it for page swipes.

2. Barnes and Noble has never remotely deleted books and is not monitoring me. If I am paranoid, I can turn on airplane mode forever! Someday, I could change my mind and resume wireless downloads.

3. The Sony needs a card slot because of the low internal memory. The Nook has a card slot, removable battery, and 2gb internal memory.

4. Most people don't surf the web on eink devices. It is only there if you really need it. Also, playing chess is a nice break every once in awhile, but it doesn't distract me from reading. That's like saying that the music playback on the Sony is a negative because you might listen to songs instead of reading.

Ergonomically, the Sony 505 is a nice unit. It is very solidly constructed, comes with a case, has multiple color options, etc. However, design is in the eye of the beholder. The Nook, Kobo, and Pocketbook 360 also have very nice designs.

Just my two cents

Last edited by Noah98; 07-24-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Why would I want to store my books in folders? I have collections. Though I could put PRS+ on it if I wanted folders.

Justification doesn't matter to me; I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't.

I read mostly fiction on my 505. Were I a student this might be different, but my pleasure reading does not involve either searching or notes.

I don't need to look up words while I read. I don't need to keep a paper dictionary within reach when I read pbooks. And my lips don't move, either. We've had this discussion.

Quote:
People are willing to pay more for a used 505 than a new Kindle, or a lot of other brand-new ebook readers. Seems to me that there are enough people who agree with me to keep the prices high.

*waves high the banner of the Silver Sony Brigade*
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by coeus View Post
Doing a search on ebay I see that the PRS-505 is going for $200-250. -snip- Kobo doesn't seem to support a lot of file formats. - snip - I really liked the PRS-505 (and regret selling mine a year ago), however I'm surprised they haven't gone down much in price. Can anyone here recommend a reader similar to the 505. Simple, support a lot of file formats, but has newer eInk technology?
You might want to reconsider the Kobo. Considerably less cost than the Sony which has been out of production since 2008 (early 2009?), and comes with a one year warranty. If you want something more than ePub -- which, after Kindle is the most important format -- maybe you should consider an Astak or Pocketbook as they support more formats and are currently in production.

PRS-505 is already abandoned by its manufacturer; nor has Sony release an updated unit in 2010. I'd be inclined to look elsewhere or, at least, refine my list of "must haves" and "nice to haves" relative to my budget.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #15
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Quote:
Bear in mind that, even though these devices may well be "new" in the sense that the box is sealed, Lithium Ion batteries degrade with time, and these will be at least a year old now, and will already have lost a noticeable proportion of their capacity, and will continue to do so as time passes.
Yep, LiIon batteries still store better than NiMH etc, and I am storing my spares in a cool place about 80% charged - and cycle the battery every 4-6 months

I also agree with the post above, about not needing dictionary and annotations. I use my ereaders as I use paper books - for reading Although English is my third language I rarely encounter a word I don't know. And using a dictionary disrupts the flow of reading.
June is offline   Reply With Quote