Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
mscott161
Enthusiast
mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ebookwise, sony
IMP eBook Reader for Android

I have started a project on CodePlex http://droidimpreader.codeplex.com/ to read IMP files from the SD Card. The source code is free and will be posted today. I would like to ask for help on the Decompression algorithm in Java because in this first version the opening of the IMP book is really slow.

Michael

Finished Version 1.5 is now available for download at codeplex the APK install file for the Android and source code are found there. The Web View is now in place for a better display of the book content.

I have added the compiled installer for the Android 1.5 also to the codeplex site. The IMP book files currently need to reside on the root of the SD Card. I plan in the future to change this to start looking recursively under a directory called IMP on the SD Card so you can organize your files the way you want. I will post with version 2.0 in the next week with this change.

Enjoy!

Last edited by mscott161; 07-28-2010 at 12:06 PM.
mscott161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Wow, that's an accomplishment!

I don't tend to get too excited about smartphones (still don't use one) but my daughter has an LG Eve that I play with sometimes. I'll be sure to try it out unless it needs Android 1.6 or later since the LG Eve is stuck at 1.5 until (hopefully) Fall 2010!

I don't know anything about programming for Android, but I am willing to explore it a bit...

Kudos!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscott161 View Post
I would like to ask for help on the Decompression algorithm in Java because in this first version the opening of the IMP book is really slow.
More information on LZSS encoding may be found at this link to the LZSS source code (it is the basis of my deimp.exe)!

It was written by Michael Dipperstein (mdipper@alumni.engr.ucsb.edu) and his LZSS source code (lzss-0.6.zip) has been successfully adapted to decompress the text within a .imp file using a highly efficient bitstream library. His earlier versions of the source code did not use bit manipulations at perhaps a speed hit so perhaps the same holds true with your implementation.

Where's a java guru when you need them... :rubs lamp:
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
shakey__
shakey__ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 - android/fbreader
Sounds like a good use of the NDK?

To recap, the NDK is a companion to the SDK that provides tools to generate and embed native ARM machine code within your application packages. This native code has the same restrictions as the VM code, but can execute certain operations much more rapidly. This is useful if you're doing heavy computations, digital processing, or even porting existing code bases written in C or C++.
shakey__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:54 AM   #5
mscott161
Enthusiast
mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you shakey,

I will look into it this week and post a new release on codeplex. I did speed up the open book process to only read the book properties onces and save it to a catalog file so when trying to open another book on the sdcard it will not re-parse the books it has already listed.

Michael
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
mscott161
Enthusiast

Faster IMP eBook Reader

With the suggestion of using the NDK for android on the file. I have produced a new version for download. Please check out the droidimpreader.codeplex.com for the new download.

I plan to add to the program with opening the last book and last page viewed on startup. I also plan to make small changes to the book text and gestures.

Michael