Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #31
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
Not sure how familiar you are with the Kindle, but if you go to the home screen then hit menu --> settings it will pop up with a screen that shows the following information (on mine at least)

Registration - Registered User (mine lists my first / last name)

Device Name - The name registered at Amazon (mine is named Alexandria)

Device Email - the email address people can use to send books to the kindle

Personal Info - this requires people to have input this info manually, but I have mine list my name email and phone number

If this info is still there could definitely help you find out who it belongs to.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:41 AM   #32
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
wow! could this turn into a whole where's Waldo sort of adventure? kind of like that traveling cactus from a few years ago! or the Garden Gnomes!
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 08:06 AM   #33
picarson
picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
Hi Ajax,

There are no registration details that inform me of the owner in anyway
Old 12-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by picarson View Post
Hi Ajax,

There are no registration details that inform me of the owner in anyway

That in itself seems kind of weird.

Unless of course Amazon erased it for some reason....perhaps the owner contacted them and canceled/deleted it?

Last edited by kennyc; 12-15-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #35
picarson
picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.picarson could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
To everyone on the forum,

I have contacted Amazon as suggested by some of you and have arranged to ship it back to them directly as they advised me that they will return it to the rightful owner.

I have copied the email from Amazon for your information:

Hello,

I'm happy you contacted us about returning the Kindle you found.

I'm sorry, but for security we are unable to provide the owner's information to you, or to relay your information to the owner.

Please safely package the Kindle and any accessories included. Then, ship the Kindle using the prepaid mailing label linked below. We will contact the owner and return the kindle to them.

https://www.campusship.ups.com/cship...&1260772509029

Thanks for returning this lost Kindle.

Did we answer your question?

If yes, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-y?c=fgtftedh3276941016

If not, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-n?c=fgtftedh3276941016

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our web site.

Best regards,

Kiran R
Amazon.com
We're Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company
http://www.amazon.com/your-account

---- Original message: ----

---------------
12/13/09 11:44:13
Your Name:Philip carson
Comments:I have found an Amazon Kindle at Kansas city airport on Thurday 10th Dec and wish to return it to its rightful owner. I have been advised that you might be able to assist with this since you would know to whom you sold the device. I beleive the device serial number to be 399380047 and it is a Kindle 2.3...?
If this is the case could you send an email to the person and provide my contact details so that I can return it

Thanks in advance

---------------
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #36
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picarson View Post
To everyone on the forum,

I have contacted Amazon as suggested by some of you and have arranged to ship it back to them directly as they advised me that they will return it to the rightful owner.

I have copied the email from Amazon for your information:

Hello,

I'm happy you contacted us about returning the Kindle you found.

I'm sorry, but for security we are unable to provide the owner's information to you, or to relay your information to the owner.

Please safely package the Kindle and any accessories included. Then, ship the Kindle using the prepaid mailing label linked below. We will contact the owner and return the kindle to them.

https://www.campusship.ups.com/cship...&1260772509029

Thanks for returning this lost Kindle.

Did we answer your question?

If yes, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-y?c=fgtftedh3276941016

If not, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-n?c=fgtftedh3276941016

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our web site.

Best regards,

Kiran R
Amazon.com
We're Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company
http://www.amazon.com/your-account

---- Original message: ----

---------------
12/13/09 11:44:13
Your Name:Philip carson
Comments:I have found an Amazon Kindle at Kansas city airport on Thurday 10th Dec and wish to return it to its rightful owner. I have been advised that you might be able to assist with this since you would know to whom you sold the device. I beleive the device serial number to be 399380047 and it is a Kindle 2.3...?
If this is the case could you send an email to the person and provide my contact details so that I can return it

Thanks in advance

---------------
hmm. I find it kind of odd that they would not be willing to forward contact information to the owner, but insist on being an intermediary. Is this once again Amazon's desire to control the world?
Old 12-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
hmm. I find it kind of odd that they would not be willing to forward contact information to the owner, but insist on being an intermediary. Is this once again Amazon's desire to control the world?
erm... ok, but I can understand them keeping their customers information confidential. Actually as a Kindle owner I almost prefer this. I woudn't want it known that Amazon will give out personal information to anyone that can give them a Kindle s/n.

You can read their privacy policy here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...?nodeId=468496

One man's evil is another man's privacy protection....

BOb
Old 12-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #38
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
erm... ok, but I can understand them keeping their customers information confidential. Actually as a Kindle owner I almost prefer this. I woudn't want it known that Amazon will give out personal information to anyone that can give them a Kindle s/n.

You can read their privacy policy here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...?nodeId=468496

One man's evil is another man's privacy protection....

BOb

I agree completely, but what's wrong with passing on the "finder's" contact information? Why should it go back to Amazon, when for all the finder knows there is no owner and Amazon might just resell it.

I found a wallet once and it had a student id in it, I called the school and they would not give me info on the student but passed my phone number on and the owner called me and stopped by to pick it up.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #39
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I agree completely, but what's wrong with passing on the "finder's" contact information? Why should it go back to Amazon, when for all the finder knows there is no owner and Amazon might just resell it.
Yes, I guess that would have been a good idea if both parties were amiable to it.

I still don't see this as Amazon trying to "control everything".

BOb
Old 12-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #40
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Our good Samaritan can add a note inside the box (or kindle cover) before he ships it off to Amazon. If I were the person who lost the kindle I would want to know whom to thank.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #41
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I imagine most people would like their info to stay private, so I believe that Amazon is acting fairly. I DO hope that they send you a little something for Christmas, however, Picarson! Happy Holidays to you.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #42
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Same thing my cousin had to do last year when she found a Kindle 1. As a owner of a Kindle 1 herself at that time, she knew were to look to find the owner's info but he or she did not even fill the contact information in. I have to say that she was very irritated. Anyway Amazon had her mail it back to them also.

The Thread is here started by daffy4u: Anyone lose a K2 in New York?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=Lilly

Last edited by Lilly; 12-15-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #43
kennyc

I still think it's weird. I mean the person that found it is clearly open to passing his contact information along or would not have posted here even. It just seems to me that Amazon wants to control things by being the middleman. Why would that want to spend money doing this otherwise? Why not just pass along an email or phone number and get out of the way (and not spend any corporate dollars)?

Ah well. Just one more thing for me to not like about the "kindle experience."
Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #44
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
I still think it's weird. I mean the person that found it is clearly open to passing his contact information along or would not have posted here even. It just seems to me that Amazon wants to control things by being the middleman. Why would that want to spend money doing this otherwise? Why not just pass along an email or phone number and get out of the way (and not spend any corporate dollars)?

Ah well. Just one more thing for me to not like about the "kindle experience."
Wow, Amazon provides excellent customer service and this is your reaction? I think perhaps you're a little overly suspicious here. If they gave out the owner's contact info there would be privacy advocates jumping all over them!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #45
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
Wow, Amazon provides excellent customer service and this is your reaction? I think perhaps you're a little overly suspicious here. If they gave out the owner's contact info there would be privacy advocates jumping all over them!

What is the problem that no understands what I'm saying. I not saying they should give out the kindle owner information. Jeeze. But that fact that they want the kindle returned to them without any proof of them even knowing who the owner is is just controlling. It's not EXCELLENT service at all. It's controlling behavior. They could do as I suggested and not be out a penny.
Closed Thread