Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
I got my nook today....

And I immediately put it on eBay. It sold for $550 *3 MINUTES* after I listed it.

The nook may be the best reader since sliced bread, but I can hold out with my Sony 600 until they become available. I mean, I just got it for free!

Let capitalism work for you: if you can wait until January, you can get a free nook, pre-orderers!
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Congratulations! And Bummer. I was looking forward to reading a first hands on review.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Mac Jones
Connoisseur
Mac Jones began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
My God how obscene!!!!! How could You do that to some poor fool.

(Do you think it's safe to list mine on Ebay now with an ETA for this week? )

Oh, and did that include shipping?

Last edited by Mac Jones; 12-08-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Mac Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Haha, I did the same thing.

My Kindle is great. Don't need a sluggish nook...
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Quote:
: if you can wait until January, you can get a free nook, pre-orderers!

Explain, please

Oh...and congrats on the woowoo sale!
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post

Explain, please

Oh...and congrats on the woowoo sale!
Basically he's saying to take your pre-order, sell it on eBay for a profit, then use that money to buy one in January when the nook will, presumably, be readily available in stores.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
It's free because people can sell them and make up the cost of the Nook; thus, it crates the illusion of the Nook being free.

I may do the same when mine comes today.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
shipped today

I got a "your nook has been shipped" message a few minutes ago. So I am guessing it will arrive tomorrow or the next day?

I am excited. :-)

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
i thought i was going to read some reviews ..

but well, congratulations on the sale. should have done the same.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:05 AM   #10
ckole
Enthusiast
ckole began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlobee View Post
i thought i was going to read some reviews ..

but well, congratulations on the sale. should have done the same.
Engadget and Gizmodo have great reviews. My 1 cent.
PDF support is ok but still not what I am looking for. On a PC you can zoom, search, use a TOC, etc. Still not the case on the Nook. At least with the files I tried. These are company manuals in a pretty generic format. The good news is most of it is very readable. If the GOTO feature could support going to a page number it would be very helpful. Since this could be solved with future software updates I am hoping for the best.

As for the general ereader functionality. It is very easy on the eyes. This is my first reader and I can see where I will get enjoyment out of it.

Content - I would like to see more magazine and newspapers available. Coming soon I guess. Size is comfortable but I would also like to try the Irex DR800 if it ever comes out.

Tomorrows task is to try to download something from my local library.
ckole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:44 AM   #11
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
I actually opened mine

OK, I love new gadgets MORE (much much more) than I love easy money. I opened my Nook as soon as it arrived. It got here around 445pm PST, played with it for 30 minutes then had to go to a concert. Got home and have been playing with it for the last hour. Will post detailed impressions later (in the appropriate thread), but generally:
-it is faster than my Sony PRS-500 (not saying much I know)
-ePub page flips are ~ 1 sec on a couple of test books
-PDF Reflow does work but page flips are 2-3 sec
-need to compare it side by side with a Kindle for a real speed comparison

From the About Screen (page 2)
Software Version 1.0.0
Modem firmware version L2_0_0_7AP
MAC address 00:01:36:xx:xx:xx

For some reason picture uploading isn't working right now, will try again later.

It's a nice bit of hardware, interface could be quicker (hopefully a firmware fix will be out soon) but no regrets about getting one and actually keeping it to use.

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote