Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #76
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
So, is it now worth going from 2.1.5 to 2.3.2 by sideloading it?
Somewhere (I don't think it was this thread), somebody suggested extracting the KoboRoot.tgz file from the 2.3.2 update and just sideloading that (which avoids actually modifying the uboot, so is practically risk free). I did that and it was well worth it.

Last edited by auspex; 02-13-2013 at 05:19 PM.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #77
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I'd be interested to know this, too. What are the supposed benefits of 2.3.2 over 2.1.5?

The only minor issue I have with 2.1.5 is the occasional tendency to reboot itself when changing font settings.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #78
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
The number one reason for 2.3.2 that I wanted it for was the changing of font sizes when I changed chapters - but I think that was introduced post-2.1.5 (I can't be certain, I skipped quite a few upgrades).
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #79
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
The number one reason for 2.3.2 that I wanted it for was the changing of font sizes when I changed chapters - but I think that was introduced post-2.1.5 (I can't be certain, I skipped quite a few upgrades).
Yes, I think it must be as I've never seen this problem on my Glo.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #80
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
The change of font size was 2.3.1 which is why I went back to 2.1.5

2.1.5 is working great for me at the moment, so if there are no real benefits I will stick with 2.1.5
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #81
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The two noticeable differences I can think of between 2.1.5 and 2.3.2 are the addition of series info support and displaying the chapter name in the pop-up when using the navigation bar.

There are two notable bugs added. The TOC doesn't keep track of the chapter as you read the book and if the margins on the device are not set to zero, reopening an epub will open a page or two earlier in the book.

If you are updating from 2.1.5, you should use the desktop app or WiFi to do the update to 2.3.1 and then sideload 2.3.2.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #82
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
David mentioned the main changes above, another one is that reading progress (% read) is displayed on the bottom menu bar, and with kepubs you can tap it to display more detailed reading progress charts. The corresponding bug is that the back button that used to be on the bottom menu bar is missing in some contexts.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #83
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
The Japanese dictionary engine has improved tremendously. Marking text has also improved, I think.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #84
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I believe the wrong cover bug was introduced with 2.3.1. Is that fixed in 2.3.2?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #85
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks to those who replied

I don't own any kepubs, hardly ever use annotations, can't read Japanese, am unwilling to set L/R margins to zero, and am OK using calibre metadata plugboards for Series display. It sounds as if I'm better sticking with 2.1.5 for now.

I hope this won't create future issues by having missed out some updates.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #86
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I believe the wrong cover bug was introduced with 2.3.1. Is that fixed in 2.3.2?
Nope, still here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It sounds as if I'm better sticking with 2.1.5 for now.

I hope this won't create future issues by having missed out some updates.
Surely not. If there's a necessary in-between update the auto-update would know and give you that first.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #87
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Surely not. If there's a necessary in-between update the auto-update would know and give you that first.
I hope you're right, Mrs O Being new to Kobo, I'm not very familiar with 'the Kobo way'. As far as I know, Sony and Pocketbook upgrades were always a complete system reinstallation.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #88
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I hope you're right, Mrs O Being new to Kobo, I'm not very familiar with 'the Kobo way'. As far as I know, Sony and Pocketbook upgrades were always a complete system reinstallation.
Up till now there's only been one absolutely vital firmware installation that was needed to be able to go to a higher up version of the firmware. However, this was only necessary for a certain small batch of devices that had problems in their factory firmware. This intermediate update fixed the factory firmware and allowed those devices to use whichever firmware their owners desired.

But, for most of us, there's never been any necessary firmware update and we've been able to choose to stick with certain versions or install newer versions as we please.*

Mrs O
(I like that, thanks )

*If we're on an older-than-current firmware, making sure either to not sync, or to delete the installation files after syncing and before restarting. Because if new firmware is available, it is automatically downloaded onto the device via Wifi during a sync [but the new firmware will not be installed until a restart is done... but now I'm talking in circles ].

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 02-14-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote