Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Hr.stein
Hr.stein began at the beginning.

Device: PB 611
Question [611]RSS cannot display RSS news/webpages in Chinese

PS: why no prefix for 611?
Having read a lot of positive reviews of 611, I bought this last week. Could still return it in another week.

Nice that main menu could display in Chinese(I have copied the font into system/font).

But the rss, the only connection to the real world, is too primitive.

All RSS subscriptions are listed in a page, would be nice to use button to switch between different subscriptions.

Chinese RSS text in unreadable character, why? How to edit my subscritons by edit certain file through USB mode?

The Internet browser almost not usable to me, instead I would prefer use the network to access my local PC share(e.g. NAS) to sysc my ePubs.

Could it be done anyhow?

Thanks and regards

Last edited by Hr.stein; 05-08-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Hr.stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
abijah
Enthusiast
abijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with others

Device: kobo aura h2o
I have the same problem. I feel that the only thing that the wifi can do properly is to download files from your own computer.
abijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Hr.stein

Hi, abijah

I found a very useful thread :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...?t=115657(pity in German)

In fact, the APPs are all shell scripts. If you familiar with it, you may enter a new world!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
In terms of syncing the device over WiFi, take a look at this thread for installing a SSH daemon on the ereader: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159636. It's a bit of work, but worth it if you end up doing a lot of file transfers. @abijah gave instructions there for setting up Filezilla for accessing the device from the PC via SFTP. Maybe he can comment here about whether he still uses that solution, or if it was too much bother.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
Hr.stein

Hi Thanks rkomar,

exactly I was seeking for... But still hesitate to give a try.

Does it work also for PB611? would it turn off if it switches off?
Do you think next firmware would close this door to SSH or give more open platform?

regards
Advert
Old 04-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hr.stein View Post
Hi Thanks rkomar,

exactly I was seeking for... But still hesitate to give a try.

Does it work also for PB611? would it turn off if it switches off?
Do you think next firmware would close this door to SSH or give more open platform?

regards
It comes with an "app" for each of turning on and turning off the daemon from the Application tab. You have to run the app to start it, and it stays off if you shut down the machine. It automatically turns on the WiFi if it needs to, and if so, turns it off when you close the daemon. It doesn't need root privileges to install and run, and it doesn't give you root privileges when you log in via the SSH daemon. It runs entirely as the 'reader' user. It isn't automatically run when the machine boots up, because you would need root privileges to set that up. So, there really isn't any door to close by future firmware updates.

It's currently set up for PC->reader logins. I haven't set it up for connecting from the reader to the PC (can't remember why, but probably had to do with the default user not having a home directory, so no place to put user-specific configuration files).
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:22 AM   #7
Hr.stein

About display Chinese(or other languages), I wrote a very simple script simply change the file extension from .hrss to .html, then use book reader. No problem.

But I still prefer a method, e.g.
- to change the style.css or pocketnews.css, to decode and display the text!
- also I would prefer to have the images embeded in the html news, is there a PB busybox(OS?) epub convertor? so that it could convert html=>epub within the PB611 e.g.?

Anyone has an idea?