Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #166
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suppose I could start a new thread and post a link to the new message.
That sounds like a plan!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #167
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Due to recent events in the Bargains forum, I've had to increase the number of books in my Kindle Freebies Decimation Challenge and add a Harlequin Decimation Challenge to this year's goals. I'm hopeless.
I think I'd phrase that "I'm adaptable."

I'm having a hard time finishing Black Rain because I'm reading four books at once. I had my first nightmare I could remember in a while last night and I hope it's not related. Only 50 pages left.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #168
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I think I'd phrase that "I'm adaptable."
I like the way you think.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #169
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I finished up The Trial by Franz Kafka.

I love this stuff. Just so many levels to read this on.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #170
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I finished the first Sherlock Holmes book "A Study in Scarlet". I will probably try to finish the series this year since I liked it enough, but it won't be all in one pass.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #171
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
Just finished Down Among The Dead Men An interesting read about Life as a Mortuary technician. A little gory in places so not for those with weak stomachs.

Shall now try & catch up with The Iliad, currently on Book IV
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #172
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
My goal is to read 26 books in 2012. That may not sound like much, but in the last few years I've read maybe half a dozen books per year. Since getting an ereader a year ago that number went up to probably 20 or so (I wasn't counting), but I've also discovered there are LOTS of books out there I really want to read, and my "to-read" list keeps growing. So a book every two weeks this year seems manageable.

First book: "The Nerdist Way," Chris Hardwick (finished Jan 11, 2012)

Next book I'll probably finish will be "1Q84" by Haruki Murakami, which I started in October.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #173
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I just finished "Transfer of Power", very good book. Now I'm reading "The Third Option", "Les Miserables" and "The World According To Clarkson". I find it easier to read when I have a few books on the go as you can see
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:34 AM   #174
Mobile_Reader
Mobile_Reader began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Are you using any special techniques/tactics to achieve goals like "reading 100 books in a single year" ? Is it about reading each time, when you have extra 10-20 minutes, which accumulates over time?

I'm working on a reading app for smartphones - http://getmobilereader.com/ - with the main goal of creating a useful tool for readers while overcoming small screen constraints, so that 'small letters' are not an issue anymore.

The first version has been out for a few weeks, I'm working on adding handling more file formats and various ways of importing the content so that it's quick and easy.

The app is using techniques borrowed from speed reading, so showing big letters is one factor, but it can also increase reading speed, as long as you are used (or get used) to this type of text presentation.

I'm curious if using this app might actually help in the "Annual Reading Challenge" for any of you; would love to learn your thoughts and get some feedback on it.

thanks
Mark
Mobile_Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #175
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Reader View Post
Are you using any special techniques/tactics to achieve goals like "reading 100 books in a single year" ? Is it about reading each time, when you have extra 10-20 minutes, which accumulates over time?

thanks
Mark
I read for around 2 hours before I go to sleep at night, but when I just have a few minutes to read I'll read "The World According To Clarkson" which is a bunch of short newspaper articles written by Jeremy Clarkson. And those few minute reading sessions are starting to add up because I'm about half done.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #176
cak3
cak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Just finished I am Legend by Richard Matheson. Amazing book. I was surprised to see that he wrote it in 1954!
cak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #177
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Well, so much for a racing head start. A week with the flu did me in, and my book had to be returned before I could finish it.

I will be reading 1Q84 next, though, when I get my mojo back! Hopefully I can catch up on my e-pages goal with that one (it is long!)
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #178
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I had a plan

Well, the plan was to read more classics, and spread out what I read, while not buying so many books. As one or another famous general is reputed to have said, "no plan survives contact with the enemy". Certainly mine hasn't. So far, I've managed to buy fewer books than I read, which is good. But I've also aquired additional books via library or freebies and I'm falling behind in those, making my TBR bigger than when I started. And the mix is still way too heavy on the fluff, and too light on the classics. OTOH, I'm enjoying what I read, so that's a good thing. Only one book so far that I haven't finished (and I'm not done with it yet, I think I'll be able to pick it up and finish it. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #179
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Have read:

1. Battle Cry by Nick Poletta
2. Wretched Earth by Victor Milan
3. Nuclear Storm by John Helfers

Working on:

1. Shadow Strike by Nick Poletta
2. Mission of Honor by David Weber.

To be read:

1. Mutineers Moon by David Weber
2. Beautiful Friendship by David Weber
3. Another book that suits my fancy

Last edited by jbcohen; 01-17-2012 at 12:07 PM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #180
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I've not found anything to hold my interest too well this year.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote