Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 05:22 AM   #1
Verres
Zealot
Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
How to update a non registered K3 (firmware 3.1)

Hello,

To make a long story short I need help. Amazon has been nice to me and replaced a slightly damaged K3 (3g/ wifi) with a new one. Also because i live overseas they told me i was allowed to keep my first K3. So now i got two of them *yay*.

So far the happy tale. The flipside is that that they derigistered my old K3, so it still works fine but i can't register it with Amazon anymore, can't use collections and can't do new updates.

Now i would like to experiment a bit with my leftover K3 and install e.g. Duokan on it. However that doesn't work because i can't use the update function because my K3 isn't registered anymore (it stays greyed out like the collections feature). Is there a possibility to reactivate these functions without registering my K3 with Amazon?

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Verres

Last edited by Verres; 05-06-2011 at 05:25 AM.
Verres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
So let me get this straight.

Amazon "gave" you your older Kindle and graciously sent you a new replacement Kindle. They told you it was not worth sending back but now you want to continue using it.

What is it about "deregistered" that you don't understand?

Last edited by detayls; 05-06-2011 at 08:00 PM.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
Verres
Zealot
Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Well apart from not really contributing to an answer to my problem here, you are the only one posting at least sth. so far...

Yes indeed, i plan on keep using it because there would be no sense in throwing away a fully intact device just because it developed a crack in it's bezel. I can read on my old k3 even now just fine, i just can't do any updates or register it again (which is entirely fine). I just want to able experiment with it, e.g. to install Duokan.

Last edited by Verres; 05-06-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
@Verres

I have not done it myself but,

This rather long thread at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87686 *seems* to have worked. Read till post #127 for the latest version or the reginfo hack which *seems* to have updates for Kindle 3.

But you have the update option greyed out... hopefully this option only applies to manual update and the hack does it automatigically.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Verres
Zealot

@PoP:

Thank you very much that really did it. A new Duokan K3 was born
Advert