Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-30-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
More Eric Flint on DRM

Eric Flint has publisher another episode on DRM

Quote:
Remember: electrons are not molecules. If you get nothing else from reading this essay, do yourself a favor and memorize those four words. They will serve you well as a shield against hogwash.
Very good read.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
URL for non-subscribers:
http://preview.baens-universe.com/articles/salvos5
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Eric managed to hit a whole lotta nails on the head with this one. I particularly liked his point about used and borrowed books essentially amounting to pir--uh, excuse me, theft, in the present system. But since, clearly, they are not considered theft by the industry, the system must be a bit more complicated at second glance, not as simple as publishers might suggest.

Electronic publishing is in exactly that conundrum. A lot of matters have to be considered to solve the commercial needs of e-publishing, many more than "He downloaded my book and didn't pay me first!" And I agree, the publishing industry could solve them, if they actually wanted to make a little effort... the kind of effort Steve Jobs made to create iTunes, and to show the music industry how e-music could be profitable.

The print industry didn't have all the details worked out in a week, or a month, or a year. It will take time for the e-book industry to work things out. We just have to keep them from doing too many stupid things until then.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Salvos 1-6 are all public with the link above posted by igorsk (with the appropriate number instead of 5), 7 I quoted and soon should be available for everyone, and I can quote 8 if people are interested; that one is quite funny too, the title is
"Spillage: or, The Way Fair Use Works in Favor of Authors and Publishers"

Incidentally Mr. Flint is taking the Grantville Gazette to a bimonthly (alternate with JBU) pro SF magazine starting May 1st, so he will be editor of 2 of the 15 pro (recognized by SFWA as such) SF&F magazines, both mostly online published with no drm and paying the highest rates of all SF&F magazines in the JBU case, and good pro rates for GG.

As he put it, a good stick to hit the drm preachers with.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
"He downloaded my book and didn't pay me first!"
Their attitude, IMHO, is more like, "He paid for my book before he downloaded the DRM thing and now he can't open it on his device. Ha, Ha, Ha. He'll have to buy another version in order to read it."
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert