Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Kindle Edition books appear on Amazon

See Engadget...
http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/03/k...unch-imminent/
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #2
cjschmidt
Thyme Lord
cjschmidt doesn't littercjschmidt doesn't litter

"Kindle Editions" showing up on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521844193/

Look at the "Also Available in:" box. Link currently doesn't work, but it's there and it's real.

Interesting that the book is a textbook... sad to see the price is only a few dollars cheaper - especially since you can't sell it back at the end of the semester.
cjschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
cjschmidt
Thyme Lord

Disregard this...

Last edited by cjschmidt; 10-03-2007 at 07:20 PM. Reason: merged.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Great find. Thanks for sharing.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
cjschmidt
Thyme Lord

Check this out
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/...dition&x=0&y=0

Results for "Kindle Edition".
Lots of titles priced at $4.79

"Auto-delivered wirelessly to Kindle" in the shipping info.

Maybe we won't have to wait until the 15th after all?

Maybe I shouldn't have bought the new Sony Reader yesterday...
Old 10-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Wow, nice find there, cjschmidt! The links don't seem to go anywhere yet, but I note there are 613 of them. Looks like Amazon is going for an integrated selling approach, rather than just leaning on Mobipocket's site.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Among other things, it pretty well confirms that they're sticking with the name "Kindle."
Old 10-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
cjschmidt
Thyme Lord

And that EVDO won't be optional...
Old 10-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Yes...and now what do I do...I just can't afford to buy a gadget right now, but I know I'll be going mad from envy every time somebody mentions their "Kindle" and what wonderful things it does...

On the other hand...it might be a bad product and it will probably not be available outside the US anyway...and 600 titles sounds pretty meagre as well...
It's all on the mind...meditation thread anyone? Oh forget about that...i'll do some real meditating...see you in a while...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjschmidt View Post
And that EVDO won't be optional...
Possibly -- one of the French articles mentioned WiFi, so it may be that, rather than EVDO, which would be somewhat less burdensome than an EVDO service requirement.

And what about storage? I assume they'll give you a "book-shelf" function of some sort, but that could get cumbersome very quickly. And they don't have a good record on long term availability -- Mobi does, but Amazon ... not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
...and 600 titles sounds pretty meagre as well...
Presumably they'll pull in all of Mobipocket's titles before too long -- they can't be planning to turn their noses up at 40k titles ... can they?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #11
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I'm just praying that the pre production units were kind of a mock up and that on October 15, I'll wake up to the news that Amazon has delivered this completely amazing, gorgeous, to die for reading device that I absolutely must have.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
I'm just praying that the pre production units were kind of a mock up and that on October 15, I'll wake up to the news that Amazon has delivered this completely amazing, gorgeous, to die for reading device that I absolutely must have.
Well, it cannot be worse then an iPhone.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #13
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'm back from meditating...is the Kindle with us yet?

Sorry...must meditate some more...or maybe just go to bed and sleep...

Back on Topic:

I think we will soon all be a bit wiser where the Kindle is concerned. One of these days Amazon will actually announce the darn thing and then one (or several) of our members can buy one and give us all the juicy details. Also, a little bird told me that alexander, our great Forum-Admin himself will be at the Frankfurt book-fair and IF the Kindle makes an appearance there he'll surely have his hands all over it...and tell us all about it after he's had a nice cold shower and a lie-down...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Jon! Are you dissing my iPhone that I am completely having a love affair with, having tossed the Sony Reader to the side like a used tissue?

I should also have added a front light. A front light. Sigh. That's the stuff dreams are made of.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #15
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Told you, what a great month.

Let's hope they don't introduce yet another DRM format.

It wouldn't make much sense. I think their use of '"Kindle Edition" comes more from marketing and not from a technical difference. They probably want to offer a unified platform which makes things easier for the consumer.

So they release a reader "Kindle" and name compatible content "Kindle Edition", even if they still are mobi books. This also would explain why they would want to unify content at amazon's site rather than link to mobipocket.com

If they want to go mainstream with the Kindle, they don't want to complicate things by introducing a reader and then just a link for the mobi format.

Regarding storage and content delivery. I think we don't have to worry about on-board memory, I expect they will offer some kind of online personal library where all your content will be available. (w/o a pc?).

I also expect a very different design. Seriously, it would be "brave" to release a reader with that design we all know and hate.

On a more positive note we can see that amazon has signed new content and that is gonna go ahead with textbooks, and targeting the academic market. s That in turn, would confirm the presence of some form of keyboard.

- - - -

Worst case scenario?

Amazon will launch a reader with that crappy design and a new and exclusive DRM format. In that case they better have the entire amazon catalog available in "Kindle Edition"....

Last edited by BKeeper; 10-03-2007 at 06:53 PM.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote