Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #16
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I'm using 11GB of the 29 GB usable on my 32 model. I originally only wanted a 16GB but they were sold out and I got the 32. I could live with a 16, but I'm purposely trying to fill it up. Mostly books, comics, pdf archives and then apps taking the majority of the space.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
With my 64GB I have around 10GB free. I switch-out my movies, except for Avatar which has always been there because I just can't get enough of it. After I read a book I delete it but they don't take much space. I have a full 10GB of music that stays on my machine, my favorites and 5 stars plus movie soundtracks. I have a lot of music videos and sometimes I load a entire TV season. My apps take up around 10GB also. I have about 5GB in pictures that are also always on my machine. Right now I have Avatar (3.4GB-love a good picture), Michael Buble Caught in the Act (2GB), Wolfman (2GB), Varmints (iTunes short). A few video Podcasts at about 5GB total, and a boat-load of music videos under 100MB each but there are over 50 of them. I also have some audio books, have a Sherlock Holmes radio collection that I load about 5 at a time and delete as I go. I would love to have more space. Say 250GB.

Last edited by pagansoul; 08-03-2010 at 12:48 PM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
22GBs is still free on my 32GB model (29GBs available). I don't have any movies in ipod format so I really just use it for comics and PDFs. I just got OPlayer HD which does a good job of playing videos in all formats so maybe I'll start using a bit more but I'm a pretty big stickler on getting rid of apps I don't use and files I've already read.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #19
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I have less than 6GB left of my 64GB. Didn't realize how quickly I'd be using it up. What's your usage?
I have almost 13 gb of my 16 gb available.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #20
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
I'm using about 2 gig of my 16. But I use my ipad as intented. Reading, surfing the web and such. As soon as I finish a book, I delete it as I also keep it on my pc.
That sounds exactly like me too. At first I put a couple thousand photos onto it, which filled it up. Now I am choosier about them. Deleted most music when it became obvious it was redundant with my iPod. So it varies between 2 and 4 GB used, but is mostly stable.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #21
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I have 18.6 GB available out of 29 GB (32Gb). I do have a couple of movies I need to watch and delete though. OMG, I have 126 books downloaded!!!! LOL I am a addict!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #22
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
I have 18.6 GB available out of 29 GB (32Gb). I do have a couple of movies I need to watch and delete though. OMG, I have 126 books downloaded!!!! LOL I am a addict!
As long as you read all those books and not just store them....
(Well, but I bet you will)
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #23
Johannes
Enthusiast
Johannes began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad
I've 9.5 GB available out of the 14 GB (16 GB model). That is mostly PDFs (tons of them) and apps with associated data.
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #24
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I have less than 6GB left of my 64GB. Didn't realize how quickly I'd be using it up. What's your usage?
OK, I am definitely minor league. I have 3 e-readers - iBooks, Kindle, and B&N, a couple of news compilers, a chess app, and quite a few books (haven't deleted any) and a French learning app. I still have over 13 G left. I don't download video but I do have access to my Netflix account so I can, but haven't, watch movies. I think I have plenty of room left for my favorite use of the device - e-reading and occassional net surfing.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:49 PM   #25
jdh
Enthusiast
jdh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle3, Voyage
I've pretty much decided to buy an ipad 3G and just need to decide how much memory. I plan to use the ipad for newspapers, movies & web browsing, but don't plan to store content on it. My sense from this thread is that 16GB will be sufficient for that usage model. Is that correct? An extra $100-200 isn't a show stopper, but if it's not needed I may as well save the money for the next device.
jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:44 AM   #26
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
I have just over 7GB free on my 32GB iPad, mostly video and pictures. I have a fair amount of audiobooks on there, but I don't really use it for those, so they can come off anytime I need space. I do have all of my books, approaching 700 stored on there. They take up next to no space, under 700MB.

I have 9.8GB available on my 32GB iPhone. That is about half audiobooks, and I do use my phone for that a lot! I have all my books here too.

jdh - for the purpose you describe, you would probably be OK with a 16GB. I got the 32GB, just to play it safe. I have 5 movies, probably 2000 pictures, 39 audiobooks, 15 music CDs and almost 700 ebooks and still have room!
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #27
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
I've pretty much decided to buy an ipad 3G and just need to decide how much memory. I plan to use the ipad for newspapers, movies & web browsing, but don't plan to store content on it. My sense from this thread is that 16GB will be sufficient for that usage model. Is that correct? An extra $100-200 isn't a show stopper, but if it's not needed I may as well save the money for the next device.
If you aren't storing pictures, music, and video I think you will be fine. I've got quite a few books I've downloaded (and stored) but have used very little of the memory. But, there are a lot of tempting apps for the iPad. If reading is your main use you can compare it to the Kindle with 2 GB of memory that can store thousands of books.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #28
kissyfish
Connoisseur
kissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Irex Iliad
I have about 2GB free on my 16GB. I mainly rotate in an album or two to listen during the day, but I store about 100 books/pdfs on it, and many gigs of podcasts (I am a podcast addict), and some photos.

I am happy with 16, I just need to manage it more effectively.
kissyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #29
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Okay, stupid question here. I looked all through the settings app and can't find anywhere how to tell how much memory is left. What am I missing?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The easiest way to find out is to plug it in to your PC/Mac and click on the device in iTunes. It'll show you the amount of memory used for music, video, photographs, apps, etc, as a bar chart, plus the amount free.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote