Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Hotlinks?

Do hotlinks work in the iPad? I'm thinking of directing readers to my website where more information can be found. It works on the Kindle (and also in a Kindle ebook downloaded to the iPhone); will it work on the iPad, for a book published on the iBookstore? Thanks in advance!
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you asking if you can have an external hyperlink in an ePub file in iBooks? Yes, you can. It will open in Safari when you tap it.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-13-2010 at 02:46 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

I understand Stanza as an ebook reading application. (I have it on my iPhone.) Are you saying it also functions as a web browser?

If I open a book on my iPhone, using the app Kindle for iPhone, all hotlinks work. Chapter titles, footnotes, and even links to a website. In the last case, the iPhone just fires up Safari and goes there. I wondered if the same were true of iBookstore titles viewed on the iPad.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Apple iBooks supports both links inside a document and outside. If the link is external a message pops up asking to leave ibooks and launch the web browser.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
I understand Stanza as an ebook reading application. (I have it on my iPhone.) Are you saying it also functions as a web browser?
Sorry, a "senior moment" there. I meant that it will open in Safari. I've now edited my post.

Apologies for the confusion.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Oldpilot
Groupie

Got it! Thanks.

I will leave the hotlinks in my epub edition, at least those pointing to a third-party website. (I suppose it would not be polite to point to Amazon.com!)
Old 08-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The way it works, at least in iBooks, is that when you tap an external hyperlink in a book, a message pops up and asks you if you want to open it in Safari. Tap "OK" and it takes you to Safari and opens the URL.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:08 AM   #8
djpyle
Writer
djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Oasis, Paperwhite 1, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
Got it! Thanks.

I will leave the hotlinks in my epub edition, at least those pointing to a third-party website. (I suppose it would not be polite to point to Amazon.com!)
I left one Amazon link in my ePub. It links to an anthology with one of my short stories. If that's the only place you know of that sells the book, I don't think it's impolite to include it.
djpyle is offline   Reply With Quote