Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
SueBear
SueBear began at the beginning.

Device: IPAQ 4750, Sony PRS-T1
From IPAQ to SONY

Hi there. Total noob here, spoiled rotten by my IPAQ which creates and views folders same as Windows. I have a new PRS-T1 arriving tomorrow and though I have been reading up on creating collections, I am more confused than ever. Let me just say what I want to do and maybe someone can tell me how or even if I can do it.

I have my books on my IPAQ divided between fiction and nonfiction, The nonfiction books are divided by subject (Art, Mathematics, Cooking, Manuals, etc.) while the Fiction books are divided by author and then series in order, using 01, 02 etc. in front of the titles. Then there are those that are grouped not by author but in categories like Anthologies, Recommended or Classics.

I have several hundred nonfiction books by as many different authors, so sorting everything by author isn't going to work.

Is there any way to accomplish this organization with Calibre, PRS+, the Sony software or other on the PRS-T1?
SueBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi! I'm pretty new myself, and just setup my PRST1 also [switched from KoboTouch].

I use Calibre for the reasons you mentioned, to orgarnize my library the way I like it. I would suggest you setup Calibre as suggested in the thread I've linked below and then use 'tags' column to organize your collections the way you want. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your T1 as much as I am!

PS. the full instructions are in post #15 of this thread, very detailed and helpful!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169043

Last edited by Blue2u; 06-24-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: clarification
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
SueBear

I have read that thread maybe a dozen times and I still can't see how I wouldn't end up with hundreds of different collections. Maybe when I get my reader and can see how it sorts then something will fall into place. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I use Calibre without identifying the collections in the tags...There is a series column in Calibre where if your book is say book 3 of an author's series it identifies the book as such if the metadata is complete in Calibre (if not, edit metadata, modify epub and it will be). The T1 picks up that info and puts it in the "collections" so you don't have to manually create it. Example: if you put in books from Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, it will show a Stephanie Plum collection. I guess it all depends on what you want in your collection, if you want it to be more elaborate then you can use the tags.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
A "collection" is a virtual thing it has no physical analogue on the device, the treats all books as being in one big folder regardless of the physical organization, you can create as many collections as you want (subject to memory) , the only restriction I know of is you can't have a collection spanning both internal and sd card, I currently have 2000 plus books organized into 92 collections, remember that you can also internally" sort" a collection by date or author or title,if you intend using calibre remember that each "tag" will generate a collection, plus the books app has a decent search function, I frankly haven't had a problem with organizing, I have my main books view sorted by "latest read" so I can always find what I am currently reading, try to avoid using pc reader for anything other than firmware updates and avoid syncing and you will be fine, I use drag-drop to put books on the reade and I load the sd card on the pc via usb,r(or dropbox/wi fi) and do my organizing on the device that way I have 100% control... it's not fancy but it works, it's the old KISS principle and I haven't had the problems reported here.. apart from a few "nits" I am very happy with the the T1... good luck
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
SueBear

Thank you everyone for helping me get my head around all this info. Having the reader in my hands helped make sense out of most of it.

Remember the days when curling up with a good book was considered enjoying the simple things in life?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
SueBear

Posting this for anyone else who is struggling to grasp the Sony sorting system. I hope this makes sense - at least it's how things finally started making sense to me. After sitting up all night I had an "ah-ha" moment. I *can* manage my files the way I wanted. I just had to adjust my thinking a little.

Firstly, follow the directions in the above linked thread TO THE LETTER. Be sure to read carefully and to restart Calibre when prompted to do so. Any files not part of a series can be grouped by genre or other category by adding the appropriate value as a tag such as Fiction, Novels, Anthologies, etc. You can get genre specific of you want - Romance Novels or SF Anthologies, and so on, but use only ONE tag per file so that you don't end up with too many collections ("Romance Novels" is 2 words but it's 1 tag). When you are done you should have a collection for each series and for each of your chosen categories.

Now, here's the good part. Once you have all your code and tags in place and your collections categories are appearing the way you want them, you can view the contents of each according to it's own attributes - series ordered by number and Novels, for instance, by title or author. No more code needed - you're done.

Think about it this way: In Windows, if you open a folder of images, you right click and select to view as thumbnails so you can browse to the image you want. If you want to find a document, you right click and select to view as list, and then order by name or modified, etc., whatever will help you locate the document you want.

Your series collections are like images and your other collections are like documents. When you open a series folder, select to view as "added value" (series numbers) and your books will be in numerical order. When you open a genre folder or other category, select to sort by title or author or date. You are now browsing you files on the T1 as easily as you do your files in Windows.

Ta-da.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBear View Post
Thank you everyone for helping me get my head around all this info. Having the reader in my hands helped make sense out of most of it.

Remember the days when curling up with a good book was considered enjoying the simple things in life?
Ha, I DO! I've joked many times since I joined that I think I've spent more time reading how to use my reader than I have actually reading on it!

I'm glad you got it worked out and are so pleased with the results.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote