Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color. Kobo Touch (died 2014). Kobo Glo.
Won't advance to next chapter

I have had several books now that when opened only show the cover. No other pages. Got around it by going to the Table of Contents through the menu at the bottom. Then the problem is that each time I reach the end of a chapter, it doesn't turn the page to the next chapter, but to the cover page. although this last book is just returning to a previously read chapter. It is very annoying.

Lady in a chapters store said she removed the book from the device then reloaded it. This led me to open the kobo on my desktop, which I had never done - the only books it shows as being on the kobo are the ones I have loaded from calibre that were not from the kobo store.

Which also reminds me - calibre doesn't show all the books on my kobo (from the kobo store) as being "on the device". any reason why?
deborahjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
AndyBarlow
AndyBarlow began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Touch
I wander, did you ever sort this one out? my new Touch, with the only bought book on it, does the same thing. I e-mailed kobo before Christmas, but as yet, have had no reply
AndyBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

No, not really. I did remove the book yesterday and reinstall it from calibre and it is working fine now.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
AndyBarlow
AndyBarlow began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Touch
Thanks, I'll give it a try
AndyBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
Is Book Marked as "Read"

I have had this happen from time to time. At least the book just showing the cover and refusing to open. In my case, the book somehow got marked as "Read". When I checked the current page at the bottom, I was on the last page. Resetting the book to chapter 1 solved the problem each time.
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
ladybug56
ladybug56 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Eglide ereader 2
book pages won't turn and other issues

I have the same problem with the not being able to get the pages to turn when I touch it, each time I try it just freezes up, that little circle goes around and around. If I want to look at something that freezes up I'll just use my old 9 yr old desk top computer. A couple of other problems that have popped up is I accidentally touched "something" and it turned my ereader from the English written language to chinese. Talk about being tough to get that problem fixed! Too bad there isn't an un-do process like Ctrl Z like my computer has where you can un-do your last mistake But now for some unknown reason the keys on my keyboard are all messed up, I needed to type in my wireless password but when I for instance touch an S the L comes up instead. It almost seems as if the whole keyboard is opposite. And when I touch the back space icon to erase the letter nothing happens. Not only that but all of the icons seem to be messed up, I touch one and the opposite one opens up. This is just too much anxiety for me to deal with. This device is being returned to the store, way too many problems with it. This doesn't even belong to me, I've been trying to fix the page turning problem for a friend of mine for the past few days, she is 77. I think she would do just fine with what I have, a Kindle. It's just for simply reading a book, none of those other bells and whistles. I haven't had a single problem with it and it holds a charge for a month instead of a few hours.
ladybug56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug56 View Post
I have the same problem with the not being able to get the pages to turn when I touch it, each time I try it just freezes up, that little circle goes around and around.
From your profile it looks like you have a cheap tablet running some Kobo software (and promoted that way) rather than an actual Kobo. It's really looking like a poor business decision on Kobo's part to get into a bunch of these deals. I've seen other posts where people were slagging Kobo since they bought a tablet with Kobo advertised heavily in relation to it. Not sure the issues in these cases are actually Kobo's fault.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
ladybug56
ladybug56 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Eglide ereader 2
You're right,even though it has the Kobo emblem on the front of the box it isn't an actual Kobo tablet. It comes preloaded with the Kobo eReading application. This one is an ematic eglider reader 2 with 7" touch screen eBook Reader & Internet tablet with android. It isn't mine, it's belongs to a friend who doesn't have a clue how to use it, she's 77 and not computer savvy. Her son has decided to return this and get her something much more user friendly like a simple Kindle that you just read like a book. Nothing against the actual Kobo software, just this particular ebook itself.
ladybug56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
trublu
trublu began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
The same thing happened with my mom's kobo touch. We work off the same account. Advances chapters fine on mine, but not on hers. And only on certain books. I deleted the book from her device, downloaded the EPUB file to ADE and transferred the book to her kobo from there. It advances chapters fine now. Now that I see this is a glitch in some kobos I may just exchange hers since it is less than 30 days old.
trublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
deborahjeanne
Zealot

It took me three exchanges to get a touch that didn't have other issues. Thanks for the workaround, I'll try your method. So far it only seems to be books by one particular author.