Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-07-2021, 11:23 AM   #5461
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I have begun reading the 20 volume Richard Sharpe series. That should help somewhat with my ebook purchasing addiction.
The quality of the books is uneven IMO, but it’s a great ride. Are you reading them in historical chronological order or publishing order? Both have advantages and drawbacks.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #5462
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The quality of the books is uneven IMO, but it’s a great ride. Are you reading them in historical chronological order or publishing order? Both have advantages and drawbacks.
I listened to the whole series a good 15-20 years ago. I didn't realize there was a chronological order different from the publishing order.

I'm on book 2 now....I'll go look up the chronologic order and give that a try this time.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #5463
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And so it begins.

I’d hoped to get through January unscathed and in fact was skating through without effort. I’d looked at my master wishlist on Amazon at the beginning of the year and nothing was screaming out to me, so mostly I just let everything go. Stopped checking my list, deals, etc. and ignored offers of 25% off or less from Kobo and Amazon’s blandishments. However, I got a 50% off coupon from Kobo which is more than I like to leave on the table and taking a reconnaissance look at my wishlist there, I saw that one book was down to a buck. So I bought that while I consider the best use of my 50% coupon.

A girl’s not made of stone.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:08 PM   #5464
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
At least you didn't buy the most expensive book on your wishlist to "make the best use of the discount".
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:19 PM   #5465
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
At least you didn't buy the most expensive book on your wishlist to "make the best use of the discount".
Well, that still remains to be seen! (Although I probably won’t. )
Old 01-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #5466
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Well, that still remains to be seen! (Although I probably won’t. )
Oh! I though you meant you had already used it!

Clearly, use it on the book that you want to read most on your wish list.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:28 PM   #5467
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Oh! I though you meant you had already used it!

Clearly, use it on the book that you want to read most on your wish list.
Yes; that’s my plan with the caveat that even at 50% off, some books are more than I’m willing to spend.

Using a 50% coupon on a book that costs a dollar would be a criminal. However, this does mean two books added to the TBR this month and so far I’ve only read library books, so no offset.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:28 PM   #5468
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

My TBR looks great at the moment, but only because I've moved 53 books from "to be read" to "only read if there's nothing else available". That was a waste of £20 or so.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:34 PM   #5469
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
My TBR looks great at the moment, but only because I've moved 53 books from "to be read" to "only read if there's nothing else available". That was a waste of £20 or so.
Done that. You’ve still saved (a lot) of money by buying ahead, but there are deductions just the same. However, once you’ve got plenty to read anyway, it’s a powerful argument against buying on future projected wants, unless you’re very sure.

The only thing worse than marking mistakes a loss would be forcing yourself to read them.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:40 PM   #5470
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 4, Aura One, Glowlight Plus
It's very hard to pass on 50% off. And definitely not something to use on a one dollar book. I've just finished Friday The Rabbi Slept Late. I want to read more but not for $7-9 each. I'd definitely buy the second book if it was offered for one dollar though.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:43 PM   #5471
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
It's very hard to pass on 50% off. And definitely not something to use on a one dollar book. I've just finished Friday The Rabbi Slept Late. I want to read more but not for $7-9 each. I'd definitely buy the second book if it was offered for one dollar though.
If your library has Freading, they’ve got all the Rabbi books. Great books, but really no backlist mystery is worth $7 to $9, IMO.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:42 AM   #5472
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I was already trapped into buying this month by the "Spend £10 get £3" offer I took up at the end of last month. I mean, it was free money, but you never spend exactly £3. As it is, I've bought two daily deals and one book from my wishlist. (One of the Daily Deals should have been on my wishlist, too, as the next book in a series I like, but I hadn't noticed it get released.) I'm relatively happy with that, but I haven't started any of them yet, and I'm not likely to for several weeks, so I guess they could still be considered unnecessary.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote