Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #46
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibob View Post
My pw3 does have light cones at the bottom but they've never bothered me.
So does mine. I wondered about it at first, but I saw that the cones could also be noticed in some youtube review videos. People were discussing the problem on reddit. Long story short, mileage varied, some luckier than others. (I also have an original Kobo H2O and its lighting is perfect, so I'm spoiled.)

Last edited by k9reeder; 10-17-2018 at 12:08 PM. Reason: sp
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #47
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have created a wiki page for the Kindle paperwhite 4.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 02:27 PM   #48
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
... My pw3 does have light cones at the bottom but they've never bothered me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
So does mine. I wondered about it at first, but I saw that the cones could also be noticed in some youtube review videos. People were discussing the problem on reddit. Long story short, mileage varied, some luckier than others. (I also have an original Kobo H2O and its lighting is perfect, so I'm spoiled.)
My Voyage has some color blotchiness and my Oasis1 has faint light cones under certain light conditions. Neither is bad enough to bother me unless I look for it. Just curious how the PW4's lighting will be, especially since Amazon has made notable changes in the number of LEDs and LED placement. Of course, there's also variation among different units in the same product line, so one PW4 may be perfect while another is not ...
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #49
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
That was quick. Thanks for this one (and all of them that you put up).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #50
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
Great summary! Perhaps it might be helpful to add the various geographic limitations/variations? For example, not officially available for sale to NZ(and many other places, no doubt), no Audible support in those sold via amazon.ca and amazon.com.au
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 11:00 PM   #51
DrD123
Connoisseur
DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Well - it's more voyage-like in appearance now, with the flush screen (a step in the right direction), and adds in audible/bluetooth which many have been wishing for. Being waterproof is definitely a good thing for some folks. They didn't bring the adaptive backlight or haptic buttons over from the Voyage (two of the features I really like), but it's actually a little bigger than the Voyage. As a book reader, the extra storage space isn't meaningful - maybe if you do comics or something like that? The price point was kept at the paperwhite level ($129 for the 8gb version with special offers) which probably explains it a bit. too bad they didn't offer a 7" version for a little more...

It's a nice device, but I'm definitely going to be sticking with my Voyage.
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:54 AM   #52
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I have to admit I like the look of this Paperwhite. I currently have a Voyage, which I love. But it's developed a couple of pinpricks of light which can be annoying. Also, the waterproofing is very tempting; we don't have a bath, but it would come in handy when going on vacation or house sitting. The only thing I would miss is the adaptive lighting that the Voyage's got.

I can't pre-order the new Paperwhite yet. Both the UK and German website tell me it can't be delivered to the Netherlands, yet. A bit of a shame, because I'm going on vacation next month. But with Amazon's track record of having problems with new Kindles it might be a good thing. I'll wait to see what the reviews here will say and decide then if I want to get it.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:20 AM   #53
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
The comments of the pw4 on the verge states that the screen is a "seamless sheet of glass." But everyone else says plastic, and I suspect plastic is correct.
Plastic means the backpane of the screen, not the front of the device.

It is a big deal, because traditional e-ink displays are quite fragile, because the manufacturing technology requires the use of a thin plate of glass as a substrate for the display. And when you twist the frame, or drop something on display or apply a pressure it can easily crack.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #54
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
My Voyage has been freezing up since the last update, which made me think it was on its way out as it is four years old now. Hopefully the new update will fix that, so for now i've just splashed out on a new cover and am hoping my Voyage lasts a while yet.

At least if it doesn't its replacement will look very similar .
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #55
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I was really tempted to buy a PW4 but went ahead and ordered an Oasis. With trade-ins and credits, the Oasis only cost $70 more (for 8GB storage) and I get the larger glass screen and page-turn buttons. On the down side, I get a cheap Moku case as compared with the very-nice Amazon case. Anyways, the Oasis arrives tomorrow
kaibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #56
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
I was really tempted to buy a PW4 but went ahead and ordered an Oasis. With trade-ins and credits, the Oasis only cost $70 more (for 8GB storage) and I get the larger glass screen and page-turn buttons. On the down side, I get a cheap Moku case as compared with the very-nice Amazon case. Anyways, the Oasis arrives tomorrow
I don’t think you’ll regret it, the Oasis 2 is a thing of beauty
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #57
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I am very intrigued by the 5 LEDs versus 4 LEDs for the previous Paperwhites and 6 LEDs for the Voyage. Plus they've moved the LEDs to the top on the new PW while the previous PW and Voy had them at the bottom. Any guesses on whether this will be an improvement as far as eliminating color blotches and uneven lighting?
I was just thinking about that. If the older PW had 4, the Voyage 6, Oasis 10, the Oasis 2 12 -- is this the first odd numbered at 5? That's going to kind of bug me now.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #58
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I'm ordering a new Paperwhite 4 for my husband's birthday in a couple months. He could use the extra storage for audio books so it will be the 32gb. He didn't want the oasis because of the limited battery life. He always keeps wifi on also. The battery on his Paperwhite 3 has been going strong for years and that's what he wants, only this time with more storage, audio & waterproof. I'll keep using my voyage which I love, I'll wait till they have a Paperwhite with some kind of buttons. I've gotten used to buttons with both Voyage & Oasis 2, so it would be hard for me to go without them now.

I won't be ordering for a couple months so I have time to see the reviews first. I think this is a great value for an e ink reader with just about everything.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:22 PM   #59
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I don’t think you’ll regret it, the Oasis 2 is a thing of beauty
Thanks Josieb1. I'm looking forward to its arrival tomorrow and I'm sure I'll be very happy with it.
kaibob is offline   Reply With Quote