Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-15-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
momijizukamori
momijizukamori began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch (rooted), Kobo Glo
Looking to replace a rooted Nook Simple Touch

As the title implies, I currently have a Nook Simple Touch that I rooted when I first got it way back in 2012. It's been very good to me, but it's finally largely stopped working (and even before that, had hit the point where I couldn't add any new apps to it because the version of android was so old). So, time for something new!

Must-haves:
-e-ink
-customizability (I'm comfortable rooting/jailbreaking)
-Overdrive support (I run Linux, so I can't side-load from a PC - this was one of the things I most wished the Nook had)
-Some way of syncing files with it wirelessly

Nice-to-haves:
-Physical buttons
-Ability to install both Kindle and Nook apps

Budget is under $200. From my reading around, Inkbook and Onyx seem like they might have some stuff that fits the bill, or possibly a rooted Kindle Paperwhite?
momijizukamori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by momijizukamori View Post
As the title implies, I currently have a Nook Simple Touch that I rooted when I first got it way back in 2012. It's been very good to me, but it's finally largely stopped working (and even before that, had hit the point where I couldn't add any new apps to it because the version of android was so old). So, time for something new!

Must-haves:
-e-ink
-customizability (I'm comfortable rooting/jailbreaking)
-Overdrive support (I run Linux, so I can't side-load from a PC - this was one of the things I most wished the Nook had)
-Some way of syncing files with it wirelessly

Nice-to-haves:
-Physical buttons
-Ability to install both Kindle and Nook apps

Budget is under $200. From my reading around, Inkbook and Onyx seem like they might have some stuff that fits the bill, or possibly a rooted Kindle Paperwhite?
If you are looking for Overdrive support, all current Kobo models support Overdrive directly from the device.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Kindle Oasis has physical buttons, and with Calibre, works flawlessly with Overdrive.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:14 PM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Kindle Oasis has physical buttons, and with Calibre, works flawlessly with Overdrive.
Actually, if you're in the US, you don't even need Calibre to read library books on your Kindle.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:37 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Only if you're in the US, which of course 95% of people are not . Overdrive support on Kindles is US-only.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Actually, if you're in the US, you don't even need Calibre to read library books on your Kindle.

Shari
Depends on your local library. One of my multitude of cousins has 3 libraries he can access and only one supports Kindle format loans. Admittedly with a bit help setting up Calibre, he has joined the "I don't care what format" crowd.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote