Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 07-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
James Bryant
Ebook fanatic since 1962
James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook3/REB1100/Kolin/iRex iLiad/JetBook & JB Mini/Onyx C67, T68, Poke
Upgrading REB1200 Firmware V2.0 to V3.3

Does anyone know how I might do this?

The Gemstar site which did it automatically has shut down.

James - the puzzled
James Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
EDIT: 26 Sep 2011 All links referred to by 'www.ebooktechnologies.com' can be replaced with 'www.ebooksystem.net' to view webpages that existed previous to eBook Technologies being acquired by Google.

I went through this same upgrade path late last year, however up to the current firmware version 4.2f22. Unfortunately , I don't know of any "hacks" you can perform to accomplish this upgrade yourself.

It can be done, but requires that you send in your REB 1200 unit back to ETI. Being outside USA/Canada may complicate matters for you, though!

It is best to send them an email first at info@ebooktechnologies.com, and then you may get their standard reply:
Quote:
In order to do the "network-based" migration, one needs to start at the Gemstar servers (no longer possible). To do the card-based migration, one needs to be at version 3.1 or later.

With earlier firmware there is not much to do. Also, you must have a SmartMedia card (for migrating the 1150), or a CF card (for migrating the 1200/2150) in order perform the migration.

If you want to send us the device, plus a $30 check to handle return shipping and migration, we'd be happy to do it for you -- send check and device to:
eBook Technologies, Inc.
Attn: Shipping department
7745 Herschel Ave.
La Jolla, CA 92037
Please include your return shipping address and phone number. Also include a copy of this email so we know what to do with the device when we get it.
There is mention on the ETI support page, How to Migrate Your GEB-2150/REB-1200/ETI-1 eBook using a Compact Flash Card about this upgrade path and what happens afterwards, namely:
Quote:
Once you have migrated to the eBook Technologies servers, eBook Technologies will provide replacement devices for a $50 service fee. In addition, you will be able to purchase additional devices from eBook Technologies' retail partners. Your replacement device will be able to access any titles you downloaded from the Gemstar servers onto SmartMedia or Compact Flash cards following the procedure outlined above.
What new features have been added to the eBook reader?

Quote:
eBook Technologies has been hard at work adding new capabilities to the eBook software. Highlights of new features that will be available after your firmware has been upgraded:
  • Random House Webster's Concise Dictionary - Every eBook now comes with a built-in dictionary that can be accessed while you are reading by just tapping on the word you want to see the definition of. You can also look up words alphabetically.
  • Bookshelf Sorting - You can now organize your local bookshelf however you like. Your bookshelf can be sorted by Title, Author, Size, Recently Read and Recently Downloaded. Category display can now be turned on or off. To activate this feature, tap on the Bookshelf icon at the top of the Bookshelf screen.
  • Content Conversion Improvements - eBook Publisher has been improved to handle PowerPoint conversions. In addition there is a new Bulk Convert utility that allows entire directories of Word and PowerPoint documents to be easily converted to eBook format using a simple drag and drop approach. The new publishing tools are available at http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/sup...r_download.htm.
  • Improved Removable Media Handling - Compact Flash cards and Smart Media cards are now managed in a more useable manner. eBooks will be placed in directories that use the title as a basis for the name. This allows easier management of Compact Flash or Smart Media cards directly from your PC or Mac.
  • PC Archiving - It is now possible to permanently archive both your encrypted and unencrypted content on a PC without fear of loosing it if your device is destroyed or lost. To achieve this, you can simply copy the content from your Compact Flash or SmartMedia card to your PC if you have a Compact Flash or SmartMedia reader/writer available on your PC or Macintosh.
    Performance Improvements and bug fixes - A wide variety of performance improvements and bug fixes have been made.
Is it worth it? In a word YYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. once done, do look at the .imp ebooks specifically formatted for the REB 1200 here in the MobileRead .IMP Books eBook Uploads forum. They can be identified with the suffix '_1200.imp' and are usually posted along with a EBW 1150 .imp version. Happy ebooking....

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-26-2011 at 10:22 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
voidIndigo
Enthusiast
voidIndigo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, REB 1200, Kobo Glo
Alternative to REB 1200 firmware upgrade?

Hi,

Sorry to bump into an old subject, but I just bought a REB 1200 with a 2.0 firmware, and since I'm from Brazil (so please excuse any errors you'll find), it's not the easiest thing to send it to ETI.

I read a lot of things about this problem, and it seems to me that the firmware updates were first done trough the site (Gemstar's). Now, there are some programs (GEB Librarian, Impserve, REB1200 Librarian) that fool the REB in an ethernet conection with a HTTP Proxy so that you can serve books from your computer as if from a site.

It occurred to me that maybe this scheme could also be used to update older firmware (such as Yours Trully ) to a newer one. A 4.22 firmware update would be nice, but even 3.1 would facilitate things a lot.

I leave to the experts to see if this is possible.

Thanks for your attention,

Best regards.

void Indigo
voidIndigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidIndigo View Post
Hi,

Sorry to bump into an old subject, but I just bought a REB 1200 with a 2.0 firmware, and since I'm from Brazil (so please excuse any errors you'll find), it's not the easiest thing to send it to ETI.

I read a lot of things about this problem, and it seems to me that the firmware updates were first done trough the site (Gemstar's). Now, there are some programs (GEB Librarian, Impserve, REB1200 Librarian) that fool the REB in an ethernet conection with a HTTP Proxy so that you can serve books from your computer as if from a site.

It occurred to me that maybe this scheme could also be used to update older firmware (such as Yours Trully ) to a newer one. A 4.22 firmware update would be nice, but even 3.1 would facilitate things a lot.

I leave to the experts to see if this is possible.

Thanks for your attention,

Best regards.

void Indigo
The REB Librarian had a feature that BLOCKED a rom update from Gemstar, specifically because some early firmwares ( v2.1, v2.2, v2.3) actually prevented personal content from being loaded onto the REB1200.

That software is just a Proxy Server, like Impserve is, so it could be used to intercept the calls made, but you would have to know how to respond (echo) back to start the firmware download (along with a valid firmware).

Impossible, maybe no; doable unlikely.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
bronzon
bronzon began at the beginning.

Device: REB1200
hello, my name is vladimir i´m from bolivia and my reb1200 has the 2.1 firmware and i need upgrade to 3 or 4.

¿how to migrate? please help me
thank you
bronzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
bronzon
bronzon began at the beginning.

Device: REB1200
Hi, i understand litle english and i´m confused, my english is basic i need know if exist other form for upgrade my reb1200 v2.1 to 3.

¿maybe other user upgrade from v 2.x to 3 or 4?

¿this process kill the reb 1200?

¿if possible or not?

¿other idea?

thanks, thanks, thanks
bronzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Cheyd
Cheyd began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Bump. ETI is now owned by Google, has anyone heard of any other way to upgrade an REB1200 from 2.1?

Thanks
Cheyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
erk
Enthusiast
erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.

Device: SONY PRS505
If I recall correctly, the REB Librarian would do this. I don't think the original site is still up but I'm sure there are still binaries floating around.
There are a number of other ways to roll your own using, say, 'netcat'.

I seem to recall the REB1200 devices being a joy to mess with, with hidden firmware goodies and all.

A quick google search confirms my recollection:
http://openschemes.com/2009/09/23/se...o-the-reb1200/

I'm sure someone has the unencrypted roms for 3, and from those you can use the Compact Flash method.

Last edited by erk; 11-27-2011 at 07:43 PM.
erk is offline   Reply With Quote