Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
bittenfig
bittenfig has learned how to read e-booksbittenfig has learned how to read e-booksbittenfig has learned how to read e-booksbittenfig has learned how to read e-booksbittenfig has learned how to read e-booksbittenfig has learned how to read e-booksbittenfig has learned how to read e-books

Device: none
Using Calibre to open directories?

First, let me state that I've done a little preliminary research on Calibre and understand that you shouldn't try to change the metadata storage structure within Calibre. I'm not seeking to change that.

Emphasis on a little research. I haven't done extensive research on the capabilities of Calibre.

Some of my "books" are audiobooks, some are in HTML format (with several HTML files and a JavaScript library), and some are educational video lectures. This presents a bit of a problem for using Calibre. My question for this is, does Calibre allow the user to add a "book" (in metadata form that allows you to add an author, publisher, etc.), when in reality the metadata points to a filesystem directory when clicked on? For now, I only have a 1-2 dozen of these "books" that would need to be configured in this way, so I can do these manually. This number would grow, and I would like to keep video courses and audiobooks alongside e-books as an open option.

Thanks!
bittenfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I believe based on other posts I forget where, that you can send a .ink shortcut file via the right-click "send to" ==> "calibre" in the File Browser.

Or you could store it as a zipped folder, or add a file:// link to the comments field.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
In another recent thread here, there was a mention of a neat way to handle audiobooks in calibre.

You zip the files and change the extension to zab instead of zip. That means that you can associate zab files with the media player VLC, that has the ability to open and play zip-files. Most likely you could do the same with videoclips. That way you can access your media from inside calibre using the GUI. No need to open folders and manually launch mediaplayers.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
In another recent thread here, there was a mention of a neat way to handle audiobooks in calibre.
Its in here - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205016

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
bittenfig
bittenfig has learned how to read e-booksbittenfig has learned how to read e-booksbittenfig has learned how to read e-booksbittenfig has learned how to read e-booksbittenfig has learned how to read e-booksbittenfig has learned how to read e-booksbittenfig has learned how to read e-books

Thanks, with the previous threads mentioned, I figured out that you can simply drag and drop the .INK shortcut to the master list. Thanks!
bittenfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
filesystem, metadata