Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #91
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Does she do her own dusting? This was my primary incentive for going digital
Yep. She's on her own now. Takes good care of her apartment.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #92
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
My kids are the same way. They see me reading on an ereader every day and expanding my ereader collection (thanks to shopgoodwill). I point out that they are running out of space for all of their physical books in their rooms, they can can carry hundred of books on an ereader, many books they like are available free, etc. Yet, when I offer them one of my old ereaders to read ebooks they tell me they prefer to read "the old fashioned way."
My daughter says she just likes the "feel" of a book in her hands. I'm like you, I like that I can carry several books with me — and download more from the store or the library "on the run."
Old 09-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #93
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
If you mean The Ring of Allaire series, holy cow... those covers are truly awful.

Actually I can't remember having ever read them. So thanks for the tip. No paper books for me, I'm afraid. I'll just change the covers in Calibre.
Yep. That's the series. And (like an idiot) it never occurred to me that I could change the cover to the old one. I may not even like the series any more — I think it was what they would classify as "young adult" now (although I don't there was such a classification back in the 80s).

EDIT: Just looked on Amazon. Some delusional soul is trying to sell the same series of paperbacks I just bought for $608 plus $4 shipping? I paid $3.95 per book (which included shipping) but the seller gave one free for each two you bought, so the total price was $7.90. Maybe I'll go on Amazon and sell for them for "half" price.

https://www.amazon.com/Allaire-Sword...ing+of+allaire

Last edited by rcentros; 09-24-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #94
Ammonite
Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma
Life can be funny. I just splurged about $300 on a Kobo Forma, but lately have been reading more books on my phones, the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 and the Google Pixel 2 XL. Now, I'm debating whether to return the ereader. because I'm not getting the eyestrain I expected from an emissive display.

Books surrounded me in childhood so there will always be a special place in my heart for them. However, from 2000-2006 I mainly read on my PDAs with the Microsoft Reader app. Yes, the screens were small, however the convenience and portability were a game changer. Then came the Kindle Keyboards and e-ink, and I thought ereaders were optimal since the last decade.

Now? Google Plays Books + 6.4-inch OLED screen with >500 PPI is very nice.

Google's reading app makes syncing immediate so I can resume precisely on my desktop, laptop, tablet, work phone, or personal phone. Notifications can be removed so I'm not interrupted ever. Not to mention, I can use Twilight (similar to f.lux) or the phone's built-in night mode to change the color temperature and brightness of the screen even more than Kobo's hardware allows. I can make the background sepia or 'white text on black' immediately because a 2018 phone's processor is so powerful. Merriweather or Literata are two superb fonts on Google's app: they are more readable at dimmer brightness than Bookerly or Malabar on a Paperwhite 3 or Forma. The much higher PPI means text is so sharp. Also, the phone's volume buttons can be used as page buttons on the app.

The only advantage I can think for the Kobo Forma is the possible eye relief. I say possible because I can't find any recent studies comparing e-ink to the modern OLED/LCDs on phones (with adjustable night-mode). Also, if you read graphic novels/mangas or PDFs, then ~6-inch phones are still too small.

Last edited by Ammonite; 11-14-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Ammonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #95
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonite View Post
Merriweather or Literata are two superb fonts on Google's app: they are more readable at dimmer brightness than Bookerly or Malabar on a Paperwhite 3 or Forma. The much higher PPI means text is so sharp. Also, the phone's volume buttons can be used as page buttons on the app.
The Merriweather and Literata fonts can be added to the PW3 and Forma (I realize this isn't your only issue, but this is one that can be fixed.)
Old 11-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #96
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonite View Post

The only advantage I can think for the Kobo Forma is the possible eye relief. ...
Do you mean for you soecifically, or for other people. If other people, than screen size, battery life, form factor.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #97
Ammonite
Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The Merriweather and Literata fonts can be added to the PW3 and Forma (I realize this isn't your only issue, but this is one that can be fixed.)
You're correct. I should've wrote that differently.

What I meant to say I've used Merriweather, Literata, Malabar, and Bookerly at the dimmest brightness (and 2 notches higher) on both the Format and PW3. They are not as legible on those E-ink devices vs. the OLED screen on lowest brightness in night mode (with either white, sepia, or black background).
Old 11-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #98
Ammonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Do you mean for you soecifically, or for other people. If other people, than screen size, battery life, form factor.
Sorry, I meant for me. Those three are definitely very relevant factors for other people.

One area that I haven't seen discussed as much is audio books on phone vs. an e-reader. I think the software experience means phone would generally be better for that person.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:47 PM   #99
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Well, in Chicago I won’t be worrying about bright sunlight for another 6 months...so,yes, the superior reading in the dark of a phone or tablet...like you described...is far more important to me. It’s very nice on the eyes to read in dim light than even reading a real book
leebase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #100
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
My daughter is the same. If it's not a physical book she's not interested.
I have problem with it, but remind her that if she moves, she will have to move the books herself. Maybe that will at least keep her from hoarding books.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #101
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I have problem with it, but remind her that if she moves, she will have to move the books herself. Maybe that will at least keep her from hoarding books.
She has already moved into her own place – last year. Personally I kind of like the fact she likes the "old way" even if it isn't all that practical any more.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #102
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I've never been bothered by something else "winning" over what I am using. I use an eReader over a smartphone (I even use a flip phone over a smartphone!) I use a Fire HD tablet over an iPad. I use Linux over Windows. I use cast iron for cooking over the latest-super-duper-non-stick-miracle cookware. I listen to classical music over rap. I read instead of watching movies. I use AMD processors in my computer builds over Intel. I don't use Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or any variety of that stuff. I'm just not concerned over what is "winning" at the moment.

Except for the extreme case where what I'm using becomes unavailable because nobody wants it but me. I don't think eReaders are at this point yet. I'm also watching all the threads here and on other websites about the new PW4. It may be "winning" currently, but if and when I decide to buy one it will only be after several months when it is proven a winner because of features and performance, not hype. The new generation Echo Dots are out - me, I'm not trying to get one of those ... I'm looking to find the previous generation on clearance sale. Sometimes there are killer new features that will make me want to buy the newest "winning" thing, but generally, improvements come in small increments these days. Nothing worthy of rushing into IMHO.

Although I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon, I don't begrudge those that are the first to hop on. More power to 'em. All the reviews and chatter on the internet from the early adopters is useful information for those of us riding on the donkey cart behind the bandwagon.
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #103
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I've never been bothered by something else "winning" over what I am using.
For me it's not about my preferred tool "winning", it's more about my tool being popular enough to not go extinct.

I have my reasons for liking eInk, and ereaders. I wish for everyone to read on what they prefer, but I would like ereader technology to grow and progress, to get better over time. That won't happen if I'm the only one buying an ereader.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #104
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have no interent in e-ink devices other than using them for reading. Before I got a Kindle I read with paper books. Obviously, some technology will replace e-ink and if I'm alive, I will adopt the new technology to continue reading. The world will not regress to all paper books.

The new technology will undoubtedly have color and a resolution to display photographs and maps.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #105
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

I share the sentiments expressed by sveral here- e-ink ereaders are great tools for reading. I avoid paper books because of physical limitations and avoid audiobooks because of an aversion to them, so e-ink ereaders suit me. They also illustrate the value of single purpose tools when done well. My tablet and my phone are multi-function tools could not be without, but for reading, just reading, my ereader is best - for me. Having a device solely used for reading is nothing new, since that definition also fits paper books.