Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 04:59 AM   #1
malfromcessnock
malfromcessnock began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Australian's and eBook purchases

Hi board members

I'm an Aussie and have just bought a Sony PRS 505 and have found that all I can load onto my device are basically historic books, Dickens etc

Bare in mind I have nothing against Charles Dickens - but I've read these years ago. Now I want Steig Larson, Bryce Courtney & Tim Winton etc

I have established US identities so I can buy on Amazon but I think they now read your IP address.

Does anyone have any ideas or any good news re DRM changes in the near future?

Cheers, Mal from Cessnock NSW AU
malfromcessnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
use a service like hotspot shield to mask your IP address. Works for me :-)
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
If you like SFF books try Baen

DRM and geo restriction free

alternatively

Smashwords
Double Dragon are worth a look.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
malfromcessnock

Thanks iandix and sabredog

I'll google hotspot shield and go from there

and, I'll give Smashwords and Double Dragon a look too.

Cheers, Mal from Cessnock
Old 07-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
malfromcessnock

Board Members

Any tips on removing DRM from Kindle books. I bought a couple and now can't convert to ePub for my Sony reader.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Direct guidance on removing DRM is against forum policies. However you should find references to doing it easily enough via Google.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
malfromcessnock

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of the sensitive nature of my request..

I have tried and discovered that Kindle for PC is constantly updating and making it very difficult - maybe removing DRM is no longer possible?

Have u got a url?

Old 07-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #8
malfromcessnock

Pleased to say that I'm now sorted.

I have spend hours on the net, researching and making errors but have finally come through the end with bought Kindle Books on my Sony PRS505 - yay

I'm very pleased.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi malfromcessnock... another one that works for me (I'm oz too with a prs-505), is waterstones (http://www.waterstones.com). They still have drm, but no need for conversion as they are in epub format, (although drm removal is still straightforward... from what I've heard...)

Also, www.feedbooks.com has some very high-quality books that are completely free.
mukoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfromcessnock View Post
Board Members

Any tips on removing DRM from Kindle books. I bought a couple and now can't convert to ePub for my Sony reader.

IMHO DRM which prevents people from acquiring books is discriminative and hence immoral (while DRM that prevents piracy is OK).
avinatbezeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
DRM does not prevent people form purchasing an ebook, geographic restrictions do. DRM is simply an unwanted annoyance which is easy to remove.

Geographic restrictions is probably the biggest factor encouraging disenfranchised ebook buyers turning to piracy.

I would not call it immoral though, rather extremely short-sighted and anachronistic.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #12
malfromcessnock

Sabredog - not so easy to remove. I have lived with computers since the Apple 2e/c etc and have now had so many pcs I have lost count. I work with them all day and play with them all night - I may be boring but I know my way around them and the internet.

I have not found it easy, but I did eventually crack it. There were a few days when I'd throw my hands up in the air and give up, only to return with a new resolve some days later.

avinatbezeq - I'm definately with you. I think it's terrible that our administration doesn't hurry up do something about this. Why we can't buy Tim Winton or Bryce Courteny is beyond me and certainly not something I'm going to be measured about. I'm so glad I beat the system. Now all I need it a radar detector for my car lol

Cheers fellas, have a great week - Mal from Cessnock