Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Audible for Kindle Basic?

I have a kindle basic 7 and while looking for black friday deals found out that the kindle basic 8 will have Audible soon. I may consider getting it however I'm not sure if this feature will enable immersion reading. I already do have a kindle keyboard which plays audible material so I'm debating whether it's worth it to get the new kindle basic. One thing I like about the kindle keyboard is text to speech so if the new kindle basic offers this feature that would be a plus.

Last edited by Ricky D'Angelo; 11-20-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Is immersion reading when you can read and listen at the same time? If so then a common complaint is that you cannot. You need to choose between reading and listening; when listening the screen is said to be disabled. I can only imagine the pros and cons hypothetically but what I know is the Kindle you have probably supports multiple audio formats as opposed to the newest Kindles only supporting the Audible format. The newest Kindle does have a significant CPU upgrade which may improve playback. Don't know if it is worth it to you but hope this helps.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
bonacker
Connoisseur
bonacker began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 10, 11th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
what I know is the Kindle you have probably supports multiple audio formats as opposed to the newest Kindles only supporting the Audible format.
This is what I wanted to know after I read in the MR forum that has the Black Friday sales thread that the Basic Kindle (on sale now for $50) will play audio. So is it definite that the latest Kindle Basic will not play mp3s?

What is the Bluetooth hardware you need to buy to be able to play the audible books? I've never seen it anywhere.

There are a few Google hits for converting mp3s to .aax. I wonder if that still works. The articles are a few years old.
bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Any bluetooth speaker or headset should work.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
bonacker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Any bluetooth speaker or headset should work.
OIC, thanks. I thought there was some sort of a dongle that needed to be plugged in. I guess I was confusing it with an older Kindle I read about that had text to speech, I think, but with a dongle.

So if I could convert mp3 podcasts to the Audible format, I wouldn't need anything else to play podcasts? Will this capability be added to the basic Kindle with just a firmware update?
Advert
Old 11-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You are confusing it with the PW3, Voyage, etc, which require a dongle for audio.

The 5.9.x firmware can only play books from an Audible account, not user-loaded content.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
bonacker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You are confusing it with the PW3, Voyage, etc, which require a dongle for audio.

The 5.9.x firmware can only play books from an Audible account, not user-loaded content.
I see. This makes the audio feature useless for what I'd want to use it for. Your information was not available anywhere else when I went looking for it. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You’re very welcome .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #9
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonacker View Post

So if I could convert mp3 podcasts to the Audible format, I wouldn't need anything else to play podcasts? Will this capability be added to the basic Kindle with just a firmware update?
I understand Harry's point about only being able to play Audible material, but I do still wonder about the conversion question. Has anyone tried to convert MP3 to AAX? Is it even possible to mimic the format and its DRM stuff?
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:39 PM   #10
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
If text to speech is a priority, the recent Fire tablets do a very good job of it. It sounds quite a bit more natural than the kk tts.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:29 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonacker View Post
I see. This makes the audio feature useless for what I'd want to use it for. Your information was not available anywhere else when I went looking for it. Thanks.
The Kindle Touch has both TTS (Text to Speech) and Audible support. No Bluetooth, just use the built-in speakers or the headphone jack. You can still find Touches in good condition at Amazon or eBay (or even on Craigslist).

Should also mention that, if anyone wants the 8th generation Kindle Basic (for its Bluetooth features), you can also find them refurbished (currently) for $40. The one I bought during their last sale (Kindle 10th Anniversary) was "like new" with the same 1 year warranty.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-21-2017 at 12:32 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:52 AM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The Kindle Touch has both TTS (Text to Speech) and Audible support. No Bluetooth, just use the built-in speakers or the headphone jack.
Also plays mp3 music.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote