Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2017, 07:53 AM   #1
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
new Oasis battery life

I hope my battery just needed a full charge/drain calibration.

I received it on October 31 with a partial charge. I charged it all the way and it updated to the latest firmware.

The battery died last night.....so that would be 4 days including having read 200 pages with light at 12 of 20.

I only have 3 books on the Oasis so I don't think it was burning battery indexing. Wifi on, Bluetooth off.

How has your battery experience been with the new Oasis?

Last edited by mewmartigan; 11-05-2017 at 08:45 AM.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #2
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
So far my battery life has been exceptional. I have only loaded a few books and am on wifi only. No 3G and did not connect bluetooth until today but on my one charge from last Tuesday I was at 53% today. I have been reading about one to two hours per day. That seems pretty good to me.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #3
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
It's early days yet, but on my last charge I got about 16 hours of reading, which falls quite a bit short of any Kindle I've ever owned. Hopefully it'll settle down with use. But it recharges very fast. I read yesterday until it gave me notice at 10% that it needed charging and it went to 100% in just a little over an hour.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #4
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes, it does seem to charge pretty fast. I'm interested to see if the battery after the next full charge/discharge cycle last more than 200 pages.

It also seems to drain kinda fast in sleep mode which might be part of the reason it died after only 4 days.

Last edited by mewmartigan; 11-05-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Wifi on, Bluetooth off.
usually 'wifi on' is the killer of battery.
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yep. It’s certainly been the case with earlier Kindle models that turning WiFi off roughly doubles battery life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:03 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
For most devices, battery drain increases as wifi connection quality decreases.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:03 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I pretty much have to keep Wifi on all the time when I'm reading. I use the dictionary a lot and often from there I go to Wikipedia for more information. With Wifi turned off it all becomes very distracting.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
mewmartigan
Guru

yeah, I will try turning wifi off but I left it on with my Voyage and that would last a lot longer when reading and the battery would barely budge in sleep mode for days.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:14 AM   #10
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
indexing is a surer killer of battery than wifi. of course i loaded up about 2500 book which took 24 hours to index but before i connected it so it'd have power, it drained the battery.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:38 AM   #11
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
I am finding the same. Wifi off is much better, but leaving Wifi on it can drain the battery visibly. TBH, I am having library issues with my Oasis so I was thinking the device might be constantly trying to sync which might explain the battery drain.

I'd be interested to read more peoples experiences here.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #12
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
I keep my wifi on at all times but both at home and at work the signal is very strong.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:07 AM   #13
neanius
neanius began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
The same with mine: yesterday fully charged it, loaded some 100 books, battery drained overnight. Maybe it's indexing but the problem seems serious enough; this would be the most expensive Kindle with shortest battery life.
neanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:48 AM   #14
mewmartigan
Guru

So with the full charge up on the 5th I have now read 98 pages with the brightness between 9 and 12, wifi on bluetooth off and my battery is at 50%.

This looks to be right in line with 4 days and 200 pages of my original post which seems crazy low.

Even if wifi halves the battery life as some claim, that would be 8 days of charge which is still just a tiny bit off from the 4-6 weeks advertised.

I'll play the rest of this battery out and then leave wifi off for the next cycle and see how much of a difference it makes.

Last edited by mewmartigan; 11-07-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanius View Post
The same with mine: yesterday fully charged it, loaded some 100 books, battery drained overnight. Maybe it's indexing but the problem seems serious enough; this would be the most expensive Kindle with shortest battery life.
Why say "maybe it's indexing"? Look and see if it's indexing. Indexing processes can and do get stuck, and will drain the battery like crazy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, koa2