Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-18-2016, 08:35 AM   #76
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Done, though I have given it only the most rudimentary testing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:13 AM   #77
mcdummy
Connoisseur
mcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS-T3
Excellent job. Thanks a lot.

Almost all incomplete references are corrected, only the links in the header section (<head>...</head>) and in the area-tags (<area href="...>) are still incomplete.

Thanks,

McDummy
mcdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:16 PM   #78
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicJerk View Post

Also, another request, do you think it would be possible to have "parts" of the articles excluded? Being able to exclude things like Images, "See Also," "References," "External Links," and so on, would definitely be useful to many, let alone myself at the moment.

Again, thanks for the plugin!
Hello,

could I come back to this (now old) request? I am annoyed by the long list of "References" that I never need if I am reading on an e-reader. Could anyone please include an "exclude" (hah!) capability?

That would be very helpful.

Thanxx, Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:38 AM   #79
mcdummy
Connoisseur
mcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the rough

WikiLivres

I hope it is not too complicated, but could the plugin be extended to WikiLivres?

http://wikilivres.ca

Regards,

McDummy
Old 08-12-2016, 07:08 AM   #80
mcdummy
Connoisseur

Concerning the correction of incomplete (relative) references, it seems that the current version only corrects links in <a>-tags but not in <area> or <link>-tags.

The links in these tags could be corrected by adding

# <area> references
for area in soup.findAll('area', href=lambda x: x and x.startswith('/')):
href = area['href']
if href.startswith('//'):
area['href'] = 'https:' + href
elif url_prefix:
area['href'] = url_prefix + area['href']
# <link> references
for link in soup.findAll('link', href=lambda x: x and x.startswith('/')):
href = link['href']
link['href'] = 'https:' + href
elif url_prefix:
link['href'] = url_prefix + link['href']

in wikipedia.recipe

after the code

for a in soup.findAll('a', href=lambda x: x and x.startswith('/')):
href = a['href']
a['href'] = 'https:' + href
elif url_prefix:
a['href'] = url_prefix + a['href']

I guess the code could be simplified, but it is just a quick workaround for the time being.

McDummy
Old 12-19-2016, 03:06 PM   #81
compukol
compukol began at the beginning.

Device: none
Post Using Wiki Reader with Blog URL's

Hi I would like to use the Wiki Reader concept with a list of blog articles URL's. When I feed the URL's to Wiki Reader the result eBook contain only the links and not the content of the articles.
I am attaching the test output from trying to import few blog links.

Basically I am looking to use Calibre as a replacement to readlist.com from Readability that was shut down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Role of Branding in Your Ma - Wikipedia.epub (46.0 KB, 328 views)
compukol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:03 PM   #82
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Wiki Reader plugin uses the calibre recipe system (it has a recipe designed for extracting content from wikipedia). You cannot use it directly with arbitrary HTML pages. See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/news.html for how the recipe system in calibre works.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:29 AM   #83
mcdummy
Connoisseur

Wiki Reader does not download wiki-page

Hi,

when I try to create an ebook from

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexe

Wiki Reader creates an empty epub. If I add this Wiki page to a collection of pages, this page is not included in the generated epub.

Is there a Problem in the plugin or in the page?

Thanks,

McDummy
Old 02-15-2018, 09:39 AM   #84
mcdummy
Connoisseur

Removing improper characters from ids and references

Hi,

I've noticed that some writers on wiki articles use improper (not allowed) characters (such as, e.g., :,;()äöüß) in IDs and the corresponding references (href="..).

In the E-Books created by the Wiki Reader plugin, these characters are replaced in either the references or in the IDs (cannot remember which one) but not in both, which results in broken links.

Is there a simple way for replacing these characters in both the IDs and the reference? For instance in a pre-processing stage before calibre converts a Wiki-page to the final E-Book?

Regards,

McDummy
Old 02-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #85
mcdummy
Connoisseur

Creating E-Books without Feed-navigation bars

Hi again,

When the Wiki Reader creates an E-Book, it places a (feed-)navigation bar at the beginning and the end of each Wiki article.

These navigation bars contain dead links and are not necessary.

Is there a simple way to prevent the plugin from creating these navigation bars?

Regards,

McDummy
Old 03-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #86
covo
covo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle5 classic
Wiki Reader for Calibre 2.0

hi,
is there a version of Wiki Reader for Calibre 2.0?
covo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:19 PM   #87
bonzi
Enthusiast
bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2i, K3/KK WiFi, Basic (old), 2xFire, 2xPW (old), Voyage, Scribe
Lightbulb

This is an incredibly useful, practically flawlessly working plug-in, especially since Wikipedia has discontinued its e-book building tool, leaving only the practically useless "Print to PDF" feature. I have tried several other "Wikipedia bookifying" tools, and none comes close.

I have a pretty big feature request, though (two related ones, actually):
  • The easier one: when several Wikipedia pages are combined into a book, post-process the book so that Wikipedia hyperlinks leading to other articles in the same book are converted to intra-book hyperlinks.
  • The more difficult ones: after processing the requested pages, present a menu of other Wikipedia pages referenced from the book. Allow the user to select those that should be included, too. Process them, then repeat the process until done.
    Of course, do the hyperlink translation as per the first request, too.
    I know this I much more involved, requiring essentially iterating the whole processing the plugin does over and over, inserting a bit of UI dialog after every iteration, potentially rearranging already generated content etc. But it would be immensely cool.

I see your plugin does not have a contribution link. Well, I guess I will send a buck or two to Calibre itself, then

Thank you for this great tool!

Last edited by bonzi; 06-06-2020 at 12:22 PM.
bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:27 PM   #88
bonzi
Enthusiast
bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covo View Post
hi,
is there a version of Wiki Reader for Calibre 2.0?
I hate it when people offer me advice instead of actual answers to my question, but anyway:

Is there a good reason not to upgrade Calibre? I have been using it from something like 0.75, IIRC, upgrading fairly regularly (I am now on the most recent, 4.18), and never had any problems. Some invaluable plugin not compatible with a more recent version? Something else?
Old 06-06-2020, 12:45 PM   #89
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@bonzi: IIRC Wiki Reader already resolves internal links that point to articles downloaded as part of the book (it uses the recipe systems resolve_internal_links). If it isnt happening for you post a couple of articles that reproduce the issue.

As for allowing inclusion of extra linked articles, post download, that is too much work, at least for me.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:38 PM   #90
bonzi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@bonzi: IIRC Wiki Reader already resolves internal links that point to articles downloaded as part of the book (it uses the recipe systems resolve_internal_links). If it isnt happening for you post a couple of articles that reproduce the issue.
Of course, you are right. I tried to reproduce what I was certain I saw when I posted this, and, sure enough, the plugin resolves links perfectly.

Perhaps I tapped on a link I only thought leads to an included article...

My apologies, Kovid! I know how developers "love" sloppy bug reports and feature requests, especially as busy ones like yourself.

Quote:
As for allowing inclusion of extra linked articles, post download, that is too much work, at least for me.
Of course. And utility would be limited, because most articles of the lengths deserving "bookification" would serve hundreds of links.

Thank you again for this great tool!