Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
rolgiati
Groupie
rolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Several Kindle 3 KB's
Problem launching Sigil (SOLVED)

When I try to launch Sigil from the menu in the GUI nothing happens.

So I try in CLI and get the following, after which nothing happens
Code:
ron@localhost:~/ $ sigil
Warning: QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-ron'
Warning: Qt: Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
Warning: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
Warning: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
So I try Ctrl-C and get
Code:
^CPlease close browser and run mozplugger-update
followed by an error message window "Embedded Python Error" followed by another one "error in XMLprocessor repairXML -5"; after which Sigil starts.

The second message about mozplugger-update is interesting, since I do not have mozplugger-update on my system although the Mozplugger package is installed.

Any idea where I should start digging ?

Sigil 0.9.10, with Qt 5.12.1 under PCLinuxOS

Last edited by rolgiati; 02-13-2019 at 04:04 AM.
rolgiati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The warnings aren't really relevant. The embedded python errors are the real problem. Sounds like not all of Sigil's python dependencies got installed. There's been trouble with the PCLOS Sigil package in the past. It's pretty hard for me to keep up with what all of the various Linux distro package maintainers might get wrong.

I've no idea what the mozplugger-update stuff is about. That's nothing to do with Sigil. More than likely there's something wrong with PCLOS's system QtWebKit and/or WebKit plugins.

Sigil needs the Python3 shared library and the 'six' and 'lxml' modules--at the very least--to successfully launch. Make sure they're all present and accounted for. There's several other python modules you'll also need if you want to use any Sigil plugins. I'm not really familiar with the pclos package management system, so I'm no help there.

By the way: were you previously using Sigil successfully and pclos's update to Qt5.12.1 broke something, or is this your first time installing Sigil?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-10-2019 at 09:54 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
rolgiati
Groupie
rolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sigil needs the Python3 shared library and the 'six' and 'lxml' modules--at the very least--to successfully launch. Make sure they're all present and accounted for.
I have installed the "six" Python3 package that was not installed; sadly, no change, same errors; same also after (who knows ?) installing python-lxml just to see....

Quote:
By the way: were you previously using Sigil successfully and pclos's update to Qt5.12.1 broke something, or is this your first time installing Sigil?
Been using Sigil for years, but have very recently moved from Devuan Linux to PCLinuxOS.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Again ... I'm not familiar with the pclos package-naming standard, but can you verify that you've actually installed the python 3 module of lxml? python-lxml very-well could be the python 3 package on pclos (it is on Arch), but on others it might be the python 2 version of the module. I'm just being thorough, not condescending!

Just to clarify, though: you've not had any success with running Sigil on PCLOS yet?
Old 02-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
rolgiati
Groupie

Quote:
python-lxml very-well could be the python 3 package on pclos (it is on Arch), but on others it might be the python 2 version of the module.
PCLinuxOS offers both packages python-lxml and python3-lxml.
I have both installed. Only python3 offered for the six module.

Quote:
Just to clarify, though: you've not had any success with running Sigil on PCLOS yet?
Apart for the annoyance of having to start it from the CLI, kill whatever with Ctrl-C, and deal with the error message windows, it does finally start and run!
Advert
Old 02-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolgiati View Post
Apart for the annoyance of having to start it from the CLI, kill whatever with Ctrl-C, and deal with the error message windows, it does finally start and run!
Now that you got Sigil running, you might want to install and run the test plugin. (It'll let you know if you're still missing Python libraries.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

The menu shortcut not working could be any of a number of problems. But the package maintainer for Sigil on PCLOS really should find a way to specify that the Python 3 six and lxml modules are mandatory prerequisites for Sigil. That way they'd be installed automatically.

What desktop environment are you using, by the way? It might help to diagnose the issue with the menu shortcut.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #8
rolgiati
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Now that you got Sigil running, you might want to install and run the test plugin. (It'll let you know if you're still missing Python libraries.)
Have run it, with interesting results:
Code:

Verify sys.path settings manually
  /usr/share/share/sigil/plugin_launchers/python
  /usr/lib64/python36.zip
  /usr/lib64/python3.6
  /usr/lib64/python3.6/lib-dynload
  /usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages
  /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages
  /home/ron/.local/share/sigil-ebook/sigil/plugins/testplugin

Verifying proper Python packages are available
  Checking GUI modules
    Python Package: PyQt5 Missing
    Python Package: tkinter Missing
  Python Package: PIL Missing
  Python Package: cssselect Missing
  Python Package: cssutils Missing
  Python Package: html5lib Missing
  Python Package: lxml (/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/lxml/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: regex Missing
  Python Package: chardet Missing
  Python Package: six (/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/six.py) Found

Verifying Sigil Python Libraries can be found/loaded
  Sigil Python library: epub_utils Found
  Sigil Python library: quickparser Found
  Sigil Python library: compatibility_utils Found
  Sigil Python library: sigil_bs4 Found

Verifying Hunspell Spell Checking
  Hunspell en_US affix file and dictionary Found
  Hunspell shared library Missing
  Hunspell spellchecking works False

Verifying Sigil Gumbo Library operation
  Sigil Gumbo BS4 Adapter library Found
  Sigil BS4/Gumbo Parser works True

Verifying selected basic plugin interface elements
  bk.text_iter() works True
  Listing manifested files...
    Text/Section0001.xhtml
    toc.ncx
  bk.manifest_iter() works True
  bk.spine_iter() works True
  bk.other_iter() works True
  reading a non-manifest book file works True
  reading a specific OPF manifest id works True
  writing to a specific OPF manifest id works True
  Launcher Version 20180723
  ePub Version 2.0
  adding your own file to the manifest works True
  basename to id mapping works True
  deleting our added file works True

Failure -  10  Tests of Plugin Operations Failed
As you can see a lot missing.

Found and installed most of them, but I am still stumped by PyQt5, which I cannot find, and the Hunspell shared library, given I have both lib64hunspell 1.3-0 and 1.6_0 installed.

????
Old 02-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

You're having more luck than I am. I set up PCLOS as a Virtual Machine and sigil won't run at all. The version of sigil installed via synaptic is built against Qt5.11 and the version of PCLOS I have is on Qt5.12.

sigil-0.9.10-1pclos2018.x86_64

EDIT: I take that back. Much of qt5 is uninstalled. The sigil package lists python3-lxml as a dependency, but not all of the qt5 pieces it requires. That's a little silly.

EDIT 2: it also installed Sigil's supplimental material to the /usr/share/SHARE prefix. That there will break tons of stuff.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-10-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #10
rolgiati
Groupie

I am now at the point where the test-plugin finds everything, apart from the Hunspell shared lib.
Which is strange, since I have two version of shared lib installed...
Old 02-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Things are a bit of a mess on PCLOS. In choosing to support two different--specific--versions of libhunspell (v1.3 and v1.6), they've eliminated the possibility of a python script being able to accurately find the hunspell shared library it needs to find. Never mind the /usr/share/share/sigil weirdness.

Most distros have a libhunspell.so link that will point to whichever version the system has chosen as the default. PCLOS apparently has no default version of libhunspell. So Sigil's python plugin framework can't easily guess which version it needs to be looking for.

Not sure what the way forward is there for future Sigil support on PCLOS. We may have to create an environment variable that can be used to set the hunspell version at runtime so we can work around these fringe issues.

The good news is that not a ton of plugins out there are using the hunspell interface. You may be able to do without.

Or in the meantime, one workaround is to create a symbolic link in /usr/lib/sigil named libhunspell.so that points to /usr/lib64/libhunspell-1.6.so.0.0.1. That will work until they decide to move to hunspell v1.7.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:40 PM   #12
rolgiati
Groupie

Quote:
Things are a bit of a mess on PCLOS. In choosing to support two different--specific--versions of libhunspell (v1.3 and v1.6), they've eliminated the possibility of a python script being able to accurately find the hunspell shared library it needs to find. Never mind the /usr/share/share/sigil weirdness.

Most distros have a libhunspell.so link that will point to whichever version the system has chosen as the default. PCLOS apparently has no default version of libhunspell. So Sigil's python plugin framework can't easily guess which version it needs to be looking for.

Not sure what the way forward is there for future Sigil support on PCLOS. We may have to create an environment variable that can be used to set the hunspell version at runtime so we can work around these fringe issues.

The good news is that not a ton of plugins out there are using the hunspell interface. You may be able to do without.

Or in the meantime, one workaround is to create a symbolic link in /usr/lib/sigil named libhunspell.so that points to /usr/lib64/libhunspell-1.6.so.0.0.1. That will work until they decide to move to hunspell v1.7.
I noticed, when I looked into uninstalling either version of libhunspell.
Removing 1.3.0 would remove a shedload of porgs, like Thunar, PCmanFM, Claws-mail, etc while removing 1.6_0 only causes the removal of Sigil and Hunspell.

I'll try your ln method, and report. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-11-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I also meant to mention that after I updated everything PCLOS had to offer, Sigil launched from the menu shortcuts as well. The only warnings left were the two libpng warnings that I see on nearly all distros.

I verified the symbolic link workaround I mentioned worked on my PCLOS VM. There's another workaround that would involve a tiny modification to one of Sigil's python plugin framework files, but that wouldn't survive a Sigil update.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:36 AM   #14
rolgiati
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolgiati View Post
I noticed, when I looked into uninstalling either version of libhunspell.
Removing 1.3.0 would remove a shitload of porgs, like Thunar, PCmanFM, Claws-mail, etc while removing 1.6_0 only causes the removal of Sigil and Hunspell.

I'll try your ln method, and report. Thanks for the advice.
Created the libhunspell.so symbolic link in /usr/lib/sigil pointing to /usr/lib64/libhunspell-1.6.so.0.0.1 and still have the problem...
Old 02-11-2019, 05:27 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

That doesn't make any sense. Did I get the filenames exactly right? Can you right-click on the newly-created libhunspell.so link in the Dolphin file-browser and select "Find Target" with no errors?