Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-23-2021, 04:55 PM   #1
waldektroc
waldektroc began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Unable to upgrade Calibre Portable

Please help with following issue.

Current version is Calibre POrtable 5.8.1.
I am not able to upgrade it to 5.9 or 5.10.1.

The installer recognizes it is an upgrade and unpacks files and then reports that ebook-viewer-portable.exe cannot be moved because it is not existing (Error Code 2).

Indeed, until I dismiss error message I can see a folder "_unpack_calibre_portable" in the current Calibre location. It has same folder tree as current Calibre but is missing three .exe files in main directory.

Windows 10, the only antivirus software is Windows Defender.

Defender does not report anything. I am mentioning it because I tried to outsmart the installer by making a copy of ebook-viewer-portable.exe file to unpack directory and it disappears immediately after copying it.
waldektroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:42 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Where are you installing it, if in your Documents folder (or similar) you may have run afoul of Windows Controlled Folder Access (CFA) feature - it's an Anti-Ransomware measure.

Try turning CFA off, and if that fixes it then install it somewhere else, or exclude from CFA chacking

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-23-2021 at 09:45 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2021, 09:50 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Something is deleteing the files out from under the installer. Most likely the antivirus. Try rebooting in safe mode and running the installer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:02 AM   #4
waldektroc
waldektroc began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Nova 2
@kovidgoyal, Installing in Safe Mode did the trick, thank you.
Do you believe I should report it to Microsoft?

@BetterRed, I have separate folder for portable applications. For documents as well. Not a big fun of Windows directory structure, especially running non-English language version. Keeping my own scheme makes backup harder but saves a lot of confusion.

How do you say/klick "Thank you" with this forum engine?
waldektroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:31 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That means that some program on your computer is interfering, that program may or may not come from Microsoft, hard to say.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2021, 03:39 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldektroc View Post
@kovidgoyal, Installing in Safe Mode did the trick, thank you.
Do you believe I should report it to Microsoft?
Probably a 3rd Party program that runs at startup. You can use Task Manager->Startup to disable 3rd party tasks, a binary chop will probably find it in a couple of rounds, you'll need to restart/switch users to test.

Quote:
@BetterRed, I have separate folder for portable applications. For documents as well. Not a big fun of Windows directory structure, especially running non-English language version. Keeping my own scheme makes backup harder but saves a lot of confusion.
I do exactly the same for probably the same reasons (e.g. I regard Documents as a junkyard), but I don't see that it makes backup harder - au contraire, for me at least it makes backup easier.

Quote:
How do you say/klick "Thank you" with this forum engine?
Karma button on the left

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-24-2021 at 05:19 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote