20-30 19 18.45%
30-40 22 21.36%
40-50 28 27.18%
60+ 34 33.01%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2021, 09:47 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sorry if some people object but compared to my Kobos and their ease of modification without having to try to jailbreak them, the lack of fine control over left/right margins and font sizes, there isn't much to love about a Kindle.
I don't particularly care about left-right margins (the default smallest on a Kindle is fine with me), but I do care about fine control over font sizes and actually you can have that on a Kindle, with the FONT_RAMP hack. Problem solved.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:29 AM   #17
lymimi
lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With my Kobo, I don't need a specific firmware to jailbreak. I can modify the firmware if I want or not. I can install KOReader and/or Plato as other software for reading eBooks. I can install NickelMenu for more functionality. I have much better eBook organization then I do with a Kindle. If I am not in the USA, the Kobo handles ePub with DRM so I could borrow library eBooks that are in ePub. In the USA, some library have Freading and that is ePub only.

Kobo has the Forma with an 8" screen and a plastic backed screen in case you need to read with a larger font size and/or are worried about breaking the screen because it's glass backed. And Kobo's cost less then Kindles. The Forma is not much more then the Oasis. The Libra is cheaper then the Oasis and the Clara HD is cheaper then the PW4.
Wow, that's some thorough research I'll make sure to check out this Kobo device
lymimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #18
lymimi
lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnm View Post
I bought it because it was damn cheap, 58€ just 3 weeks after they released it. But it make me love eink and go for a better device.
Now that's another way to look at it
Old 01-17-2021, 11:05 AM   #19
lymimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I went through 3 iterations of Paperwhite, 1-3, before switching to Kobo. I'm not going to evangelise in a Kindle forum, because the Paperwhite is a great reader, but it is nice to see Kindle users being reminded that there are options.

In my case I went from a Paperwhite 3 to a Clara HD (basically a PW4 w/o waterproofing), then to an Aura H2O2 (6.8 inch waterproof) and now a Libra (effectively an Oasis at 60% of the price). For most of that time, the one area where Kindle TOTALLY outdid Kobo was in the stock dictionary - Kindle's was (and is) great. Kobo's was useless. Now they're more or less the same.

Of course, one big edge for many Kindle users is Kindle Unlimited. The Kobo equivalent is not offered to many countries, so if that sort of "all you can eat" book buffet appeals, Kindle is a GREAT choice.
My husband wanted an e-reader, and we got him a kindle as well, because it's so popular and I have it myself. However he wanted to consider other brands, but unfortunately we didn't find many alternatives, and I'm sure Kobo wasn't one of them. I'll know now
Old 01-17-2021, 11:08 AM   #20
lymimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Newer models hibernate. That's practically the same. I charge a hibernating Oasis only once every 4-5 months. Or possibly even 6, haven't kept an exact record.

I have a Kobo Libra and I love it, but I still use and love my Kindle Oasis too. I don't really have a preference toward either brand and I guess I'm an exception in that, as most users here seem to prefer one or the other. If I could only have one of them, I would be happy with either one.
Now that's a new opinion
Advert
Old 01-17-2021, 11:18 AM   #21
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have had almost all the different versions of Kindle e-ink and I have liked them all. But I still prefer the Paper White over all of them. The price is a good compromise and it fits my hands the best. I don’t need extra storage, or the cellular. I read daily, and often during the day.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:23 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Newer models hibernate. That's practically the same. I charge a hibernating Oasis only once every 4-5 months. Or possibly even 6, haven't kept an exact record.

I have a Kobo Libra and I love it, but I still use and love my Kindle Oasis too. I don't really have a preference toward either brand and I guess I'm an exception in that, as most users here seem to prefer one or the other. If I could only have one of them, I would be happy with either one.
But the PW3 is not a newer model. There are more older models out there then newer models. Why can't Amazon allow the Kindle to be shut off? It makes no sense at all.

I really liked the way Sony did it. If you have not turned on your Sony Reader in two days, it shut off. That's a good length of time to wait before shutting off.

And another thing I don't like about Kindle's is the sleep timer at only 10 minutes. That for me can be too short.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:26 AM   #23
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
-when choosing an e-reader, what made you buy kindle?
-what is your favourite feature on your kindle? (intuitive interface, how easy it is to use, the size, no glare, its weight and so on)
- are you happy with the color of your kindle? would you like one in a color that's not available on amazon?
I have Paperwhite 2. It was used and cheap.
Very solid hardware. Fortunately I was able to jailbreak it, so I was able to install Koreader. Otherwise the limited default software would reduce the value of the device for me.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 01-17-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:02 PM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogDrvr View Post
Don't have the Paperwhite, I have the Oasis.

1. vast Amazon book catalog
2. I like the size but, again, I have the Oasis, not PW
3. I think that anything other than black or white would be distracting
I do have a PW3, but prefer the Kobo H2O original or Kobo Libra for reading. I have a Sony PRS-350 for small, but my regular coat pocket takes the Libra. I read books bought anywhere on the Libra.

I can't see what age has to do with it. I know people as young as seven and as old as ninety equally happy with the Paperwhite. I'd be perfectly happy about it if I'd never used or known about Kobo.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-17-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:04 PM   #25
lymimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I have had almost all the different versions of Kindle e-ink and I have liked them all. But I still prefer the Paper White over all of them. The price is a good compromise and it fits my hands the best. I don’t need extra storage, or the cellular. I read daily, and often during the day.
That makes sense, thank you!
Old 01-17-2021, 01:05 PM   #26
lymimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I have Paperwhite 2. It was used and cheap.
Very solid hardware. Fortunately I was able to jailbreak it, so I was able to install Koreader. Otherwise the limited default software would reduce the value of the device for me.
Lucky you Thank you for your answer!
Old 01-17-2021, 01:06 PM   #27
lymimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I do have a PW3, but prefer the Kobo H2O original or Kobo Libra for reading. I have a Sony PRS-350 for small, but my regular coat pocket takes the Libra. I read books bought anywhere on the Libra.

I can't see what age has to do with it. I know people as young as seven and as old as ninety equally happy with the Paperwhite. I'd be perfectly happy about it if I'd never used or known about Kobo.
Oh wow you have a lot Thank you for your opinion!
Old 01-17-2021, 02:23 PM   #28
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I love my Kindle Paperwhite (7th generation) because it is my first ereader. And I love it now because it is the fastest ereader I own and it has a very good rendering engine. I love it also if I don't use it as my preferred ereader now. I choose it because I was a novice, kindles were the only ereaders I knew, there was still no Oasis 2 (may be I could choose it with its 7" screen) so it was the Kindle with the best value for money.

Then I bought the Kobo Aura One because there was no Kindle with a 7.8" screen, and finally the PB633 Color because I was too curious for colors. And I love all my ereaders also if none of them is perfect: but the perfect ereader doesn't exist.

Edit: 54 Years

Last edited by ps67; 01-17-2021 at 02:27 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:10 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

The 350 has too small a screen. If I wanted to read on a small screen, I'd use my iPhone. As for buying eBooks anywhere, you cannot buy eBooks from Barnes & Noble or Apple as the DRM cannot be broken. But you can buy eBooks from Kobo, eBooks.com, and Amazon as the DRM can be broken and the Amazon eBook converted to ePub. If you do not live in the US and your library has Overdrive, you can download ePub from Overdrive to read on your Kobo.

Speaking of Age, my mother read on a Sony Reader for many years. Her last Reader was a T1. She dies at age 89. I am age 57 years old.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-17-2021 at 04:47 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:18 PM   #30
lymimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
I love my Kindle Paperwhite (7th generation) because it is my first ereader. And I love it now because it is the fastest ereader I own and it has a very good rendering engine. I love it also if I don't use it as my preferred ereader now. I choose it because I was a novice, kindles were the only ereaders I knew, there was still no Oasis 2 (may be I could choose it with its 7" screen) so it was the Kindle with the best value for money.

Then I bought the Kobo Aura One because there was no Kindle with a 7.8" screen, and finally the PB633 Color because I was too curious for colors. And I love all my ereaders also if none of them is perfect: but the perfect ereader doesn't exist.

Edit: 54 Years
Aw, so it was love from the first sight Thank you for answering!

Tags
feedback/ideas/input?, kindle, paperwhite