Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-13-2021, 03:02 AM   #1
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Question What are the benefits of Calibre converting epub to kepub?

I'm both new to the e-reader world and Calibre. I installed Calibre 5.9.0 and a buncha plugins for use with my recently purchased Kobo Libra H2O:
Kobo utilities
Kobo touch extended
KePub metadata reader/writer

I tried comparing a few epubs transferred to the Libra twice: once by coping the files directly, renaming them to kepub.epub; and by converting them to kepub by Calibre.
I also tried to diff the two files, which shows some significant changes to formatting. ( I set Calibre's Common Options -> Page setup's output profile to Tablet so that it'll not mess with images).

The results, so far, seem indistinguishable to my untrained eye, which is good. But the question arises: What are the benefits of all these changes Calibre does to the text. Isn't kepub a super-set of epub? can't I simply transfer the file over? Can I tweak Calibre to simply copy epubs over and just rename them to kepub.epub?
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:10 AM   #2
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Can no longer edit the OP, I should've added that I disabled the Kobo touch plugin.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2021, 03:28 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kepubs are epubs with some extra spans. These are used by the kepub reader for the location in the books. If they are not added, the device cannot record the position correctly for either the reading location or for annotations. For the reading location, it will always open the book to the start of the chapter that you were reading rather than the correct location.

For annotations, I can't remember if you just won't be able to make them, if they won't be save, or if they won't be displayed in the book later. It has been a while since I tried this.

Without the spans, the book should display correctly. I cannot think of anything that won't work if you just read from the start to the end of the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:04 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The advantages of kepub:
  • it's faster
  • the images can be zoomed
  • there's all kinds of reading stats available

The advantages of epub:
  • typography and layout are somewhat better, so it looks a bit nicer

Most people prefer kepub, but a few (myself included) use mostly epub.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:01 AM   #5
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Most people prefer kepub, but a few (myself included) use mostly epub.

Given the Ligature love here, I wouldn't be surprised if most MR users were epub readers
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert