Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-29-2015, 08:10 AM   #1
bluesjunior
bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hisense Sero 8 help /advice needed?.

I have just bought a Hisense Sero 8 tablet as a present for my wife's birthday next week. I am pretty PC savvy myself as far as security, safe programs to use etc,etc but have never owned a mobile phone myself as at my age of 65 I have never felt the need. The missus has never been techy interested in the least but I did convince her to get an Android based phone a couple of years ago which she is quite used to. We read a lot and both have Ereaders which we could not do without now. Hers is old and I thought first about just buying her a new book reader but then having read up on some very good reviews on the Hisense Sero 8 I decided that it was a better option as she could also use it together with our 4yr old grand daughter.

I understand how to set up the tablet out of the box to get it working okay, and if it was a PC I would also know which programs to then install such as Comodo CIS, VLC Player, Calibre, Firefox etc what I am unsure about is which apps to use for those purposes in the tablet?. Reading through the install instructions it appears that Google has heaps of apps for most every function but not being a great fan of Google on the whole and knowing that there are certainly better ones available as substitutes for those mentioned above I thought I would ask here if anyone could offer any advice or point me towards a thread or post on this subject?. Thanks in advance again for any help offered, it is very much appreciated.
bluesjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:33 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, for ereading, Calibre Companion is a must-have -- it is developed by a MobileRead member and sometimes calibre developer, and makes it really easy to find the books on your Andoid device based on the full range of calibre metadata.

You will also need a reader app (CC is just a bookshelf), Mantano and Moon Reader are very popular here.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2015, 04:30 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjunior View Post
I have just bought a Hisense Sero 8 tablet as a present for my wife's birthday next week. I am pretty PC savvy myself as far as security, safe programs to use etc,etc but have never owned a mobile phone myself as at my age of 65 I have never felt the need. The missus has never been techy interested in the least but I did convince her to get an Android based phone a couple of years ago which she is quite used to. We read a lot and both have Ereaders which we could not do without now. Hers is old and I thought first about just buying her a new book reader but then having read up on some very good reviews on the Hisense Sero 8 I decided that it was a better option as she could also use it together with our 4yr old grand daughter.

I understand how to set up the tablet out of the box to get it working okay, and if it was a PC I would also know which programs to then install such as Comodo CIS, VLC Player, Calibre, Firefox etc what I am unsure about is which apps to use for those purposes in the tablet?. Reading through the install instructions it appears that Google has heaps of apps for most every function but not being a great fan of Google on the whole and knowing that there are certainly better ones available as substitutes for those mentioned above I thought I would ask here if anyone could offer any advice or point me towards a thread or post on this subject?. Thanks in advance again for any help offered, it is very much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, for ereading, Calibre Companion is a must-have -- it is developed by a MobileRead member and sometimes calibre developer, and makes it really easy to find the books on your Andoid device based on the full range of calibre metadata.

You will also need a reader app (CC is just a bookshelf), Mantano and Moon Reader are very popular here.
First disable Google search and voice search. Very frustrating apps the gesture to open them is very easy to use with out meaning to.

I use Firefox for web, when using adblock plus and Ghostery tracker blocker that will take care of most security problems. Use the virus scan of your choice.

Also ES Task Manager and ES File explorer will make transferring non ebook files between tablet and PC easy.

For ebook reading Calibre Companion is the best way to transfer ebooks from calibre to tablet. For reading app I prefer Mantano--plays well with CC--find the reader app that you prefer.

Also delete or disable most of the bloat-ware you do not use.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:42 PM   #4
bluesjunior
bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluesjunior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thank you again for the replies guys. I just finished doing the set up but other than Settings I haven't added any apps yet. I am aware of what bloat ware is but where should I check to see what is presently installed. I have a Google icon on the main page with a few entries some of which I use on my PC at times and some I am not sure if she will ever use.
As regards the firefox browser app, does it work the same as firefox as regards setting bookmarks of fave sites etc?.
bluesjunior is offline   Reply With Quote