Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-18-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
rlbenskin
rlbenskin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Unhappy [Kindle] Error Communicating with Device

I am trying to load books to my Kindle Fire but I keep getting the below error. Help, please!

calibre, version 5.9.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 89, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 512, in _books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 220, in books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 192, in get_driveinfo
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 182, in _update_drive_info
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 153, in put_calibre_file
File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 36, in check_thread
File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 445, in put_file
wpd.WPDError: Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error
rlbenskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:59 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is an error communicating with the device. Usually, this kind of error can be fixed by
following the steps below in sequence. First:

1) Try rebooting both the device and your computer
2) If that does not work, find the files driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre on the device
and delete them (you can use Windows Explorer or a file manager on the device itself to do this)
3) Reset the device

If none of those work, you can use one of the wireless communication methods described here:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd '''),
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #3
BillM10
BillM10 began at the beginning.

Device: Fire 8 (rooted)
I'm having a similar problem. Error report reads...

calibre, version 5.13.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to upload file named: driveinfo.calibre to ('SD Part2',): 2:PTP Layer error 2002: LIBMTP_Send_File_From_Handler(): Could not send object.
2:Error 2002: PTP General Error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 89, in run
File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 512, in _books
File "calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 220, in books
File "calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 192, in get_driveinfo
File "calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 182, in _update_drive_info
File "calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 153, in put_calibre_file
File "calibre/devices/mtp/base.py", line 25, in synchronizer
File "calibre/devices/mtp/unix/driver.py", line 400, in put_file
calibre.devices.errors.DeviceError: Failed to upload file named: driveinfo.calibre to ('SD Part2',): 2:PTP Layer error 2002: LIBMTP_Send_File_From_Handler(): Could not send object.
2:Error 2002: PTP General Error

The Kindle and SD card appear as icons on the Calibre menu bar and I can see the basic directory structure but no files (books or otherwise) are shown.

Deleting the driveinfo.calibre files made no difference. I couldn't find any metadata.calibre files.

This is on a Linux laptop. When I try on a Windows laptop the Device icons appear on the menu bar but Calibre then shuts down!

This is not a huge problem as I can move books around easily enough by other means but I was trying to use the USB link to fix a problem with displaying book covers.
BillM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
On linux you need to prevent your desktp environment from opening/mounting the device
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, error, kindle