Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-12-2021, 06:22 PM   #1
c4software
c4software began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo NIA − Kindle PW3
Display Image with Pickel (or alternative)

Hi,

I have a Kobo Nia and I want to use it as an « Image Viewer (with auto-refresh) », I see many ways to do this, but none seems to work in 2021.

I want to do something really simple like the script « /etc/bin/Kobo/demoloop.sh »

But, if I do from telnet :

Code:
zcat /etc/images/splash.raw.gz  | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
Nothing happen.

And If I do the same from the NickelMenu, I have glitch on screen (like a rotated screen maybe ?). But nothing more.

If someone have an idea ?

My fbset output :
Code:
[root@kobo ~]# fbset

mode "758x1024-0"
        # D: 0.025 MHz, H: 0.029 kHz, V: 0.028 Hz
        geometry 758 1024 768 1024 32
        timings 40000000 12 76 4 5 12 2
        accel false
        rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,8/24
endmode
c4software is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:47 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Oh, hai!

----

FWIW, pickel's showpic expects a raw framebuffer dump. It also expects it in its own framebuffer state, which never matches Nickel's on recent FW versions. It's usually @16bpp, in a broken and device-specific rotation.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-12-2021 at 06:58 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:55 PM   #3
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4software View Post
Hi,

I have a Kobo Nia and I want to use it as an « Image Viewer (with auto-refresh) », I see many ways to do this, but none seems to work in 2021.

I want to do something really simple like the script « /etc/bin/Kobo/demoloop.sh »

But, if I do from telnet :

Code:
zcat /etc/images/splash.raw.gz  | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
Nothing happen.

And If I do the same from the NickelMenu, I have glitch on screen (like a rotated screen maybe ?). But nothing more.

If someone have an idea ?

My fbset output :
Code:
[root@kobo ~]# fbset

mode "758x1024-0"
        # D: 0.025 MHz, H: 0.029 kHz, V: 0.028 Hz
        geometry 758 1024 768 1024 32
        timings 40000000 12 76 4 5 12 2
        accel false
        rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,8/24
endmode
As NiLuJe said, his FBInk library would be perfect for this use-case. It is truly a joy to use.

But I ran into issues with Pickel lately (when trying to show Xorg events on screen)... The raw picture wasn't displaying properly and it was distorted. Anyone knowing why? It should work since the Kobo is able to display update/poweron images. Or is it handled internally with another library?

@NiLuJe oh thanks I didn't read the last part of your post. Any way to still be able to display a picture with pickel? Thanks
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:04 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMa View Post
@NiLuJe oh thanks I didn't read the last part of your post. Any way to still be able to display a picture with pickel? Thanks
Not easily, no. And it's not a good idea to begin with (performance is terrible, and the fb state constraints make no sense in 99% of cases).

(Also, XOrg *really* doesn't like it if you modify the fb state behind its back).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:06 PM   #5
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Not easily, no. And it's not a good idea to begin with (performance is terrible, and the fb state constraints make no sense in 99% of cases).

(Also, XOrg *really* doesn't like it if you modify the fb state behind its back).
Yeah I think I definitely made the good move by using fbink-xdamage... Pickel is just a curiosity for me
Old 01-13-2021, 02:56 AM   #6
c4software

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Oh, hai!

----

FWIW, pickel's showpic expects a raw framebuffer dump. It also expects it in its own framebuffer state, which never matches Nickel's on recent FW versions. It's usually @16bpp, in a broken and device-specific rotation.
Annnnd its working 👌Thanks a lot for the fast answer !

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL-20210113-075343615.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	184720

PS: Still early wip project.

Last edited by issybird; 01-13-2021 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Oversize image. Please read the guidelines.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:53 AM   #7
c4software

The main idea behind this script is (if its possible)

- Wake up from sleep or similar ? (looks like its not possible)
- Enable & Connect to WiFi
- Download an image from an HTTP Endpoint
- Display the downloaded image (FBink ��)
- Disconnect Wifi
- Put in Sleep or similar (rtcwake maybe…)

As I see a CRON is not a great solution, so I will certainly do a « while true ».
Old 01-13-2021, 11:38 AM   #8
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:

1. Wake up from sleep or similar ? (looks like its not possible)
2. Enable & Connect to WiFi
3. Download an image from an HTTP Endpoint
4. Display the downloaded image (FBink ��)
5. Disconnect Wifi
6. Put in Sleep or similar (rtcwake maybe…)

As I see a CRON is not a great solution, so I will certainly do a « while true ».

1. Nickel DBus ?
2. Nickel DBus also
3. wget
4. fbink, yes
5. Nickel DBus also I think.
6. nickeldbus also i think
Old 01-13-2021, 12:10 PM   #9
c4software

Yes downloading image and display it is pretty straight forward (and classic, not a problem).

I will look for the suspend part with « Nickel DBus ».

Thanks
Old 01-13-2021, 02:40 PM   #10
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Note, suspend/sleep does not (yet) exist in NickelDBus. It was an oversight I forgot to add. Will be in the next version.

Although, not sure about waking from sleep.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 04:57 PM   #11
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

- Wake up from sleep or similar ? (looks like its not possible)
- Enable & Connect to WiFi
- Download an image from an HTTP Endpoint
- Display the downloaded image (FBink ��)
- Disconnect Wifi
- Put in Sleep or similar (rtcwake maybe…)

Hi, did you ever figure these steps out? I am trying to do the EXACT same thing, but my coding skills are very limited.
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote