Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
TechieLady
TechieLady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire/Kindle 3
Conversion output folders

Ok I hope I can explain this right. When I convert a bunch of books, let's say 100 books, Calibre puts them into my library into folders by author and series and however else they organize them.

Initially I am using Calibre to convert my entire book collection (I'm OCD LOL) and moving them back into my documents by author.

My question... is there a way to set up Calibre so instead of putting them in all those sub folders, it will put them in one big folder? So I don't have to go into all those sub folders to pull the converted file from each.

TechieLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:43 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you do conversion using the Calibre Command line (CLI) tools then you have explicit control over where files are placed. If you do it via the GUI then Calibre assumes it is managing the books and keeps them in its database.

It sounds as if you are going into the underlying file structure of the Calibre library to get at the converted books? This is strongly discouraged (think of it as a black box you should not peek into). Instead you should get books out of Calibre using its Save to Disk facility. In the Calibre Preferences you can customise the template for the folder/file names to be generated when using Save to Disk this may suit you better as it would allow you to tell Calibre both the folder structure and filename format to be used when exporting the books.

Last edited by itimpi; 11-23-2011 at 02:45 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
George's Kindle
Enthusiast
George's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: kindle 3
I have the same problem as the thread starter. I am using a Kindle 3 and whenever I load an epub book on my device with conversion through calibre, it is put in a folder with the author name - which I don't like. Is there no way to prevent calibre from generating this author folder during conversion and transfer?
George's Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by George's Kindle View Post
I have the same problem as the thread starter. I am using a Kindle 3 and whenever I load an epub book on my device with conversion through calibre, it is put in a folder with the author name - which I don't like. Is there no way to prevent calibre from generating this author folder during conversion and transfer?
make the K device template: {title}
or anything VALID that has no slashes (is a folder before all that appear)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
George's Kindle
Enthusiast
George's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: kindle 3
I deleted the folder entry in the kindle device template - but Calibre still generates a folder with the author's name in the documents folder during conversion and transfer onto the Kindle.

Any other suggestions?
George's Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Conversion output folders

Quote:
Originally Posted by George's Kindle View Post
I deleted the folder entry in the kindle device template - but Calibre still generates a folder with the author's name in the documents folder during conversion and transfer onto the Kindle.

Any other suggestions?
Just drag it from the Calibre folder (only the .mobi file) to the documents folder on your kindle.

Why do you care about this?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #7
pdxNat
pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieLady View Post
My question... is there a way to set up Calibre so instead of putting them in all those sub folders, it will put them in one big folder? So I don't have to go into all those sub folders to pull the converted file from each.
So you want all your mobi files in one big folder, is that right?

If so, there are ways. For example, Calibre puts them all into their directories-within-directories (myEbooks>authors>dickens,charles>hard times>hard_times.mobi) Have you considered going to the "authors" directory, or whatever top tier directory you've got above all your authors, and doing a "Search this directory" for "mobi". That should return a result of all the mobi files you're looking for.

I'm probably missing some critical point, but I thought I might be able to help, so there you go.
pdxNat is offline   Reply With Quote