Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-28-2009, 04:26 AM   #1
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Sorting the book titles (Feature Request)

When sorting the books on title that is done by alphabet. That is normaly fine, but there are a lot of bookts that start with the word 'The' So they are all grouped together. Is it possible to sort on the second word and move the first wordt to the back?

So a title like 'The Adventures of John Doe' would become 'Adventures of John Doe, The'

And if it is possible, it would be nice be able to be able to make a list of words that are handled this way. In Dutch we have two of 'those' words, De and Het. Perhaps the French would like something like this for Le and La
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:30 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
When sorting the books on title that is done by alphabet. That is normaly fine, but there are a lot of bookts that start with the word 'The' So they are all grouped together. Is it possible to sort on the second word and move the first wordt to the back?

So a title like 'The Adventures of John Doe' would become 'Adventures of John Doe, The'
Could you not simply enter your titles in this format, if that's what you prefer to do?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 05:40 AM   #3
rhmorrison
Connoisseur
rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle 3 (WLAN) & hp Jornada 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
When sorting the books on title that is done by alphabet. That is normaly fine, but there are a lot of bookts that start with the word 'The' So they are all grouped together. Is it possible to sort on the second word and move the first word to the back?

I don't know about other languages but in calibre 0.6.24 it sorts just as you want:

rhmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:52 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
While one could re-write the titles as a work-around, it's quite common for lists of titles (in English) to ignore "A" and "The".

So it sounds like a reasonable feature request to me. Ideally there's would be a list of excluded words for each language, and it would also be good to add the book's language to the metadata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Could you not simply enter your titles in this format, if that's what you prefer to do?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhmorrison View Post
I don't know about other languages but in calibre 0.6.24 it sorts just as you want:
Yes it already ignores "the" as a prefix in the title.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Doesn't that happen by default with both The and A?
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Yes it already ignores "the" as a prefix in the title.
I never realised that it already worked like that in the English version. I only used the example to make my point. It would be great if the words that are treated in this way could be on a user controlled list. Then it would be completely language independent and people who don't want this behaviour simply keep he list empty.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
You may be interested in the paper by 2007 Ig Noble winner Glenda Browne
Quote:
for her study of the word "the" -- and of the many ways it causes problems for anyone who tries to put things into alphabetical order
available at The Indexer, vol 22, no. 3 (pdf)
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
For non english languages this feature will have to wait until support for book language is added to the metadata. As this requiresd atabase changes, it is a low priority, but it will happen eventually.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
EliNoah
Enthusiast
EliNoah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader Pocket Edition
I don't know if this is the place or not, but I would LOVE to be able to print a booklist from Calibre.

I try to keep lists of what I read so that I know if I have read that book or not. (read a lot of authors like Nora Roberts, etc) I hate reading books twice, but it happens.

Being able to print all my titles would help with this.

Then I would have a lists of both ebooks and paperbooks when I go to a bookstore.

I tried highlighting and copying and pasting, but it did not work. Having a print function would be GREAT!
EliNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliNoah View Post
I don't know if this is the place or not, but I would LOVE to be able to print a booklist from Calibre.

I try to keep lists of what I read so that I know if I have read that book or not. (read a lot of authors like Nora Roberts, etc) I hate reading books twice, but it happens.

Being able to print all my titles would help with this.

Then I would have a lists of both ebooks and paperbooks when I go to a bookstore.

I tried highlighting and copying and pasting, but it did not work. Having a print function would be GREAT!
Use the command line utilities:
I made a batch ( .bat ) file that contained my desired options.
Code:
calibredb list -w 132 -f authors,series,series_index,title,timestamp  --sort-by timestamp --ascending > foo.txt
foo.txt is my output file that can be view/edited or printed (landscape since I made it 132 chars wide so as to not wrap/truncate)

I sorted my list with the NEWER stuff at the top (timestamp --ascending)
The command line documentation has the full list of fields and options you can use.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
rhmorrison
Connoisseur
rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle 3 (WLAN) & hp Jornada 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
Doesn't that happen by default with both The and A?
YES, both 'The' and 'A' are ignored by the sorting in Calibre.
rhmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Code:
calibredb list -w 132 -f authors,series,series_index,title,timestamp  --sort-by timestamp --ascending > foo.txt
The command line documentation has the full list of fields and options you can use.
If I use your code I get a list sorted with the newest stuff at the bottom. I removed '--ascending' and get the list with with the newest at the top.

Neat idea though.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
If I use your code I get a list sorted with the newest stuff at the bottom. I removed '--ascending' and get the list with with the newest at the top.

Neat idea though.
Top <-> Bottom
I wanted top and probably forgot to fix the bat file....
Doing so, right now. Done

Seemed to be a convoluted way to get a list on my PEz of the latest additions.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
EliNoah
Enthusiast
EliNoah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader Pocket Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Use the command line utilities:
I made a batch ( .bat ) file that contained my desired options.
Code:
foo.txt is my output file that can be view/edited or printed (landscape since I made it 132 chars wide so as to not wrap/truncate)

I am sorry, but I don't know what this means...where do I find the command line utilities? Is it the search function?
EliNoah is offline   Reply With Quote