Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 01-20-2014, 02:50 AM   #1
GeorgeH
Addict
GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nexus 7
Eliot, Charles W. (editor): Harvard Classics Volume 52 Part 1 V2.0 20 Jan 2014

The Harvard Classics Volume 52 Part 1 (Guide Assignments) Published 1909-1910

Material from Harvard Classics edited by Charles W Eliot LL D. (March 20, 1834 - August 22, 1926)

This book is based on Volume 52 of the Harvard Classics—The Fifteen Minute Daily Reading Guide. The first in this series is Part 1, which is the January recommended assignments. These assignments are included within the volume for ease of reading. Each volume, when uploaded, will consist of one month's worth of reading, starting with this volume—January. I realize that the month is nearly done but there are still 12 days left! Next month, February, will be uploaded in a more timely fashion.

Part 1 contains all of January, but this year's remaining days are as follows:

Jan 20. "Ah! It Is St. Agnes. Eve—"
Jan 21. The Nightingale's Healing Melody
Jan 22. A King's Pleasure Now Yours
Jan 23. Pascal Knew Men and Triangles
Jan 24. Odysseus Silenced the Sirens
Jan 25. A Field Mouse Made Famous
Jan 26. In the Cradle of Civilization
Jan 27. Dante and Beatrice in Paradise
Jan 28. Man's Wings
Jan 29. Visits the Land of Fire
Jan 30. First Problem Play Popular
Jan 31. What "Don Quixote" Really Slew

I'll also continue with the normal series, volume 31 is in progress now.

Version Update: V2.0
Book now includes the original preface. Subsequent parts will only contain the selections for that month. Prev D/L: 41
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Harvard Classics Reading Guide - January.epub (597.2 KB, 1040 views)

Last edited by GeorgeH; 01-20-2014 at 08:44 PM.
GeorgeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:15 AM   #2
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Amazing! Didn't know a reading guide was part of the Harvard Classics. Fifteen minutes a day ... I might just be tempted to actually do this.

Thanks again for your wonderful work on this project!!
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 03:26 AM   #3
GeorgeH
Addict
GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your support doubleshuffle! The guide portion is relatively easy since it's mostly copy/paste from the source files I created.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Nice to see the actual text inserted to make the reading easy so the 50 volumes will get reduced to 12 vols with, of course, the comments and criticisms missing. However when I looked at the January edition I was hoping to find the preface from the original volume 52 but it was missing. It is in the mobi version I believe.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thank you so much! I tried doing this myself a few times and kept getting it wrong. This is a huge gift, thank you!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
GeorgeH
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Nice to see the actual text inserted to make the reading easy so the 50 volumes will get reduced to 12 vols with, of course, the comments and criticisms missing. However when I looked at the January edition I was hoping to find the preface from the original volume 52 but it was missing. It is in the mobi version I believe.

Dale
Hi Dale,

I deliberately left the preface material out (for no good reason) but it sounds like a good idea. I'll create a new version in the next day or so which includes that.

What comments and criticisms are you referring to? If it's integral to reading the assignments, I'd be happy to put them in. Keep in mind that in many cases only a portion of the book/play/poem, etc is meant to be read as part of a given selection.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
GeorgeH
Addict

Thank you ficbot!
Old 01-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeH View Post
Hi Dale,

I deliberately left the preface material out (for no good reason) but it sounds like a good idea. I'll create a new version in the next day or so which includes that.

What comments and criticisms are you referring to? If it's integral to reading the assignments, I'd be happy to put them in. Keep in mind that in many cases only a portion of the book/play/poem, etc is meant to be read as part of a given selection.

Thanks!
I do not think that the comments and criticisms are integral to the reading assignments. They are the sections on biography of the author and criticisms that are in the preface section of each of the volumes. They would be difficult to integrate as the daily readings only include a subset of a particular book. I noted their existence only to point out that the reading plan does not cover everything. To some extent the value of the collection versus reading the same book contents from other downloads is contained in these prefaces. Of course the collection also contains some volumes that are out of print or have no eBook so it is particularly valuable in those cases.

Dale
Old 01-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
GeorgeH
Addict

Understood now, Dale. Thanks, and I agree. All the Classic volumes are in ebook format now, at least, and I hope to have the rest of the epub versions out within the next couple of months.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #10
GeorgeH
Addict

Updated to version 2.0. Book now includes original preface. Subsequent parts will only contain the selections for that month.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you

Dale
Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #12
SamEmm
SamEmm began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
This is amazing! Thank you so much for taking on this project. I'm in my last semester of graduate school and often make the joke that "I can't wait until I finish graduate school so that I can get back to my education." Reading the Harvard Classics was my plan to start this education and having this broken down by the reading plan is so amazing.
SamEmm is offline   Reply With Quote