Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-22-2020, 08:36 PM   #16
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
The books I am, at the moment, most looking forward to receiving and reading are these:

. . .

Fiction

[INDENT]Shorefall by Robert Jackson Bennett

. . .
Well, I got the book, Shorefall, read about 100 pages, and gave up. The first book in the series, Foundryside, was great. Shorefall had, for me, a significant flaw -- it seemed like every other word spoken by a character was a 4-letter word (to say it politely). I'm not a prude, and I don't mind the language when it advances the story, but overload is overload and unnecessary is unnecessary.

I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone who lacks a very high tolerance for "foul" language. I've scratched this author off my to-buy list.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:04 PM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm looking forward to Darkness as a Bride by John Irving.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:06 PM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^I'll second that. One of my favorite authors.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:18 AM   #19
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
The Evening and the Morning by Ken Follet. A prequel to the Kingsbridge series.

https://ken-follett.com/news/index.html
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #20
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I'm curious, but pessimistic, about Kim Harrison rebooting The Hollows series this year. She was supposed to be done with the series, but there's a long story there. I was not as impressed with some of the direction in the last 2 books and her catering to fan enthusiasm to make it too much a PNR rather than Urban Fantasy, and I also think some things got a bit overdone; still, it was one of my favorite, long-running series, so I will definitely buy it and try it on for size. Crossing fingers.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 06-09-2020 at 11:48 PM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #21
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I'll be picking up The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett this year. It's coming out this month so there may be a delay for me buying it, but I read her fictional novel debut, The Mothers, and was impressed. The Mothers was a decent success and word of mouth, and it's being promoted a bit now, anyone else planning on picking it up?
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:15 AM   #22
rainerm
Addict
rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I guess "picking up" a book now doesn't mean what it did back in January. I'd been waiting for Garth Greenwell's Cleanness till Feb. Although I think the book was published in Jan itself, at least in North America and Europe, if I'm not wrong.

Still haven't picked this up or ordered it. I was reading to apply for a Masters until March, and with the pandemic still shaking things up, I've dropped plans of applying just yet. So I'm going to order this this weekend. Can't wait really. I'm also reading introductory accounts of what data models and predictions mean. I've been working with a researcher friend of mine who's doing outreach to demystify what these numbers mean and mainly to encourage people to practice physical distancing.

Kind of her to let me in on the process. I've learnt a fair bit these past couple months. Currently reading an account of the z-score formula -- a widely employed statistics-based approach (if it interests anyone).

Stay safe, guys!
rainerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:57 AM   #23
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"Unwitting Street", by Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky. I have three of his other titles, also published by NYRB. I love his writing and his sense of humor.

This new translation is supposed to come out next month.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081Y52TD7...v_lig_dp_it_im
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote