Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-29-2020, 03:43 AM   #181
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I dislike white, silver or colour, especially bright colours on anything with a screen. Grey or black is best for the edges and front. Phones, tablets, laptops and ereaders should primarily be functional, not desk or living room fashion accessories. Too often things are styled to look good in a catalogue or shop display or web page than have good ergonomics.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:48 AM   #182
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Yeah the Nia seems to largely be a device designed to push people to the Clara. Even if rcentros is right about the pricing at Walmart. The rest of the world gets to see the Clara with several better features for a small jump in price.

I’m still unsure if the Nia will be priced the same as the Aura at Walmart. But time will tell there.
Could be, but we have no stats on how many people see a Kindle Basic but then buy a Paperwhite. Even if some truth, a viable quantity of actual Nia sales have to be forecast or it would never have been produced. It's not exactly the same scenario as stupid crippled "Home" Editions of Windows versus proper editions. The Home Edition essentially costs nothing extra to produce and all the editions of Windows, inc Server are artificial marketing distinctions.
Advert
Old 06-29-2020, 06:02 AM   #183
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In Germany the Tolino Page 2 retails for €89, while the Tolino Shine 3 (equivalent to the Kobo Clara HD) retails for €119.

But like Amazon, Tolino often offers them on a discount. Right now you can get the Page 2 for €59, while the Shine 3 often drops to €99 or €89.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:46 AM   #184
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I dislike white, silver or colour, especially bright colours on anything with a screen. Grey or black is best for the edges and front.
That hasn't been my experience when using the white-bordered Glowlight Plus.

When you're reading, the border disappears, or you aren't invested enough in what you are reading.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:25 PM   #185
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

When you're reading, the border disappears, or you aren't invested enough in what you are reading.
I think this is a very individual thing.
When I bought my first Sony ereader it was available in white or black. I figured the white one would end up looking grungy so I stuck with black.

My next Sony reader was red because that was what I was able to get. I thought I would get used to it. However, even after using it for a long time I still found the shiny red frame annoying. It probably doesn't help that red isn't a color I'm particularly fond of anyway. Maybe if I could have a reader in a more subtle color such as a dark green or blue that would be OK.

The two readers I currently use (Kobo and Tolino) are both black.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2020, 06:28 PM   #186
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
It probably doesn't help that red isn't a color I'm particularly fond of anyway..
Aw! Red is my favorite.

I recently purchased a car that I think looks best in blue, but I got a red one because red is my favorite.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:19 AM   #187
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Kobo Nia now up (and available to order (reserve) for in-store pickup or for home delivery) at Best Buy Canada. $129 Canadian. Will be available on July 9th.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...black/14689279

Looks like the Nia will be announced today. (Unless Best Buy Canada is jumping the gun... again.)

Last edited by rcentros; 06-30-2020 at 04:59 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:02 AM   #188
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

The one advantage of a white bezel is that you can have the text out to the edges of the screen because it's not going to be black next to black.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:43 AM   #189
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Kobo Nia now up (and available to order (reserve) for in-store pickup or for home delivery) at Best Buy Canada. $129 Canadian. Will be available on July 9th.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...black/14689279

Looks like the Nia will be announced today. (Unless Best Buy Canada is jumping the gun... again.)
They've moved the charging port to the left side of the power button. Slightly different logo. Can't see any other difference from the Clara.

The Clara is still only $10 Canadian more on the same site. I just don't get the purpose of the Nia. Do people some people dislike the color temperature lighting? Or is Kobo going to let the Clara sell out and leave the Nia as their entry-level device?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:59 AM   #190
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
They've moved the charging port to the left side of the power button. Slightly different logo. Can't see any other difference from the Clara.

The Clara is still only $10 Canadian more on the same site. I just don't get the purpose of the Nia. Do people some people dislike the color temperature lighting? Or is Kobo going to let the Clara sell out and leave the Nia as their entry-level device?
My first response is o way they would get rid of the Clara as it competes with the Paperwhite. But maybe Kobo views the Nia as good enough, and hope people would buy the Libra as the next step up? A WAG.

Personally, if Kobo didn't have something like the Clara I would get a Paperwhite (when my Glo HD dies).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:32 AM   #191
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I think this is a very individual thing.
When I bought my first Sony ereader it was available in white or black. I figured the white one would end up looking grungy so I stuck with black.

My next Sony reader was red because that was what I was able to get. I thought I would get used to it. However, even after using it for a long time I still found the shiny red frame annoying. It probably doesn't help that red isn't a color I'm particularly fond of anyway. Maybe if I could have a reader in a more subtle color such as a dark green or blue that would be OK.

The two readers I currently use (Kobo and Tolino) are both black.
I had red Sony Readers and I really liked the color.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:18 AM   #192
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
It feels like Kobo learned nothing from the roll out of the Aura 2.

But I checked Best Buy Canada and it looks like the basic Kindle is usually priced at $120. So if Kobo drops the price $10 they are the same.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #193
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Expect a breaking Goodereader headline soon.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #194
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The one advantage of a white bezel is that you can have the text out to the edges of the screen because it's not going to be black next to black.
True for text as long as the "white" isn't too shiny or too much brighter than the screen.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #195
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Expect a breaking Goodereader headline soon.
He's already got them on sale at his site. "Normally" $150 (plus $20 shipping) but currently "on sale" for $148 (plus $20 shipping). Supposedly available on July 10th.

https://goodereader.com/blog/product/kobo-nia-e-reader

He's also has Nia Sleepcovers advertised for "only" $50 (plus $13 shipping).

https://goodereader.com/blog/product...nia-sleepcover

Meanwhile, absolutely nothing from Kobo? Next week... maybe? (I guess next week is the seventh... announcement and immediate availability at that time?)

Last edited by rcentros; 06-30-2020 at 02:03 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote