Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #196
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Kobo Nia now up (and available to order (reserve) for in-store pickup or for home delivery) at Best Buy Canada. $129 Canadian. Will be available on July 9th.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...black/14689279

Looks like the Nia will be announced today. (Unless Best Buy Canada is jumping the gun... again.)
there's been no announcement that I can find
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:08 PM   #197
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
He's already got them on sale at his site. "Normally" $150 (plus $20 shipping) but currently "on sale" for $148 (plus $20 shipping). Supposedly available on July 10th.

https://goodereader.com/blog/product/kobo-nia-e-reader

He's also has Nia Sleepcovers advertised for "only" $50 (plus $13 shipping).

https://goodereader.com/blog/product...nia-sleepcover

Meanwhile, absolutely nothing from Kobo? Next week... maybe? (I guess next week is the seventh... announcement and immediate availability at that time?)
First off, who would be stupid enough to buy anything from BadEReader? Second, why would anyone be that stupid to pay more for the Nia that's not as good as the Clara?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:12 PM   #198
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Aw! Red is my favorite.

I recently purchased a car that I think looks best in blue, but I got a red one because red is my favorite.
Ticket-me red is the cops' favorite, too.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:39 PM   #199
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
there's been no announcement that I can find
Nope. I'm wrong again. (I'm getting good at that.) Meanwhile Best Buy Canada still has them up and are now saying they will delivered on July 10th (before it was "available" on July 7th). So I've got to believe they'll be announced (and available) on the 7th. (But then I was all but certain they would be announced today and I was pretty sure it was going to be last week, so strike three?)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #200
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
First off, who would be stupid enough to buy anything from BadEReader? Second, why would anyone be that stupid to pay more for the Nia that's not as good as the Clara?
With shipping, the price of the Nia (on BadEReader) is as much a Libra H2O delivered from Walmart. The Clara delivered (from Walmart) is $50 cheaper.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-30-2020 at 03:47 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #201
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nope. I'm wrong again. (I'm getting good at that.) Meanwhile Best Buy Canada still has them up and are now saying they will delivered on July 10th (before it was "available" on July 7th). So I've got to believe they'll be announced (and available) on the 7th. (But then I was all but certain they would be announced today and I was pretty sure it was going to be last week, so strike three?)
no worries - I really thought the listing meant it would launch today
Old 06-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #202
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Ticket-me red is the cops' favorite, too.
  1. The car is a Chevy Volt.
  2. I drive like an old man.

Tickets aren't really a problem
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:43 PM   #203
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I suspect the device ID for the Nia is 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000382. I've added it to my firmware page, although there aren't any updates for it yet.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:24 PM   #204
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I suspect the device ID for the Nia is 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000382. I've added it to my firmware page, although there aren't any updates for it yet.
Question: I am looking for a project where I can hack a Kobo and hang it on the wall. (The goal is to learn how to do this.) What could I do? What would be fun?
Old 07-01-2020, 01:19 AM   #205
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Question: I am looking for a project where I can hack a Kobo and hang it on the wall. (The goal is to learn how to do this.) What could I do? What would be fun?
You could do anything which requires a touch display which updates infrequently. Do you have any programming experience (or are willing to learn)?
Old 07-01-2020, 11:16 AM   #206
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
You could do anything which requires a touch display which updates infrequently. Do you have any programming experience (or are willing to learn)?
I have a degree in CS but haven't used it for years. My skill level is closer to implementing a solution than coding one.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #207
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
I have a degree in CS but haven't used it for years. My skill level is closer to implementing a solution than coding one.
The thing is, to do anything useful, you'll need to write some code yourself. Most existing webapps are too heavy or modern for the Kobo, and native apps will need porting.

You could start with making a clock and running it in browser in full-screen, but I suspect you're looking for something a bit more complex. If you have any smart home devices (lights, etc), you could make a dashboard in HTML/CSS/JavaScript. You could also make a weather app.

If you want something a bit more interactive or want the battery to last significantly longer, you probably would want to look into making native apps. If it only needs to display something, I'd suggest using a shell script and FBInk. If it needs to be interactive, I'd suggest writing a KOReader plugin in Lua, or using Qt (someone made a QPA for the Kobo a while ago).
Old 07-01-2020, 01:44 PM   #208
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
The thing is, to do anything useful, you'll need to write some code yourself. Most existing webapps are too heavy or modern for the Kobo, and native apps will need porting.

You could start with making a clock and running it in browser in full-screen, but I suspect you're looking for something a bit more complex. If you have any smart home devices (lights, etc), you could make a dashboard in HTML/CSS/JavaScript. You could also make a weather app.

If you want something a bit more interactive or want the battery to last significantly longer, you probably would want to look into making native apps. If it only needs to display something, I'd suggest using a shell script and FBInk. If it needs to be interactive, I'd suggest writing a KOReader plugin in Lua, or using Qt (someone made a QPA for the Kobo a while ago).
Actually, a clock would be a good place to start. It's stupidly simple and can be programmed entirely in JS (whether it will work in the Kobo web browser is another matter).

A quote of the day would also be a good first try - I'd have to get and parse an RSS feed, and then display it.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:47 PM   #209
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Aw! Red is my favorite.

I recently purchased a car that I think looks best in blue, but I got a red one because red is my favorite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I had red Sony Readers and I really liked the color.
Shiny bright red is a good color for sports cars. I just didn't like it for an ereader. I actually thought about trying to paint my red Sony but being a klutz, I was afraid I'd mess it up and make it worse.

If I were going to have a dedicated ereader in a color besides black, I'd want something more subtle, like a nice soft blue or green.

I'd be OK if my phone had a brightly colored case/bezels because usually when I'm using it I'm looking at something bright/colored on the screen anyway (like online shopping) so what's one more color?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:57 PM   #210
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Actually, a clock would be a good place to start. It's stupidly simple and can be programmed entirely in JS (whether it will work in the Kobo web browser is another matter).

A quote of the day would also be a good first try - I'd have to get and parse an RSS feed, and then display it.
As long as you stick to ES5 (Babel will also work, too) and use a canvas rather than CSS transforms, you should be fine.

For a quote of the day app, I'd actually suggest finding a JSON API instead, and using something like Vue.js for data binding, which makes the implementation dead-simple (even easier than a clock). Also, for any significant amount of remote data, I'd recommend using a polyfill for fetch and ES6 promises instead of trying to deal with XMLHttpRequest.