Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-21-2020, 02:06 AM   #136
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's the same price they were selling the Aura Edition 2 for. I'm guessing the U.S. price will be $99. This has a 212ppi screen and no warm light – I'm guessing any Clara replacement will match its current features and will probably be waterproof (water resistant).
Yes, but the Aura edition to is a clear step down from the Clara HD

1) Less storage
2) no comfort light
3) lower resolution

Lets skip the "are those features make or break" argument, they're all enhancements the Clara has over the Aura 2. The Nia equalizes at least the first two, and unless I've missed something (it's possible) you're guessing at the resolution based on the Tolino Page 2's resolution.

Even assuming you're right on the resolution, it's unwise to clutter the sku's with hardware that's so close feature-wise. It might drive a few people toward the Clara, but they've already got that push with the Aura 2, why create new hardware to replace something to serve the same purpose?

The Clara is all of 10 bucks more on Staples.ca which does not appear to be a sales price.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:40 AM   #137
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Kobo Nia listed on Staples.ca. $129 Canadian dollars (not yet available).

https://www.staples.ca/products/2982...a-6-inch-black

(It's got the same specs as the Tolino Page 2. I'm pretty sure .26" thick is supposed to be .36" thick.)
And the connections in Figure 3 correspond exactly to those of the Tolino Page2 - it also installed a 16 GB SD card, of which only 8 GB are used.
The Kobo Nia should therefore be the cheapest entry into the Kobo device series, whereby I hope for him that the touchscreen has been revised - with the tolino Page2 it is almost impossible to enter a password, so it works imprecisely.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:49 AM   #138
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Yes, but the Aura edition to is a clear step down from the Clara HD

1) Less storage
2) no comfort light
3) lower resolution
I know. The Nia is a replacement for the Kobo Aura Edition, NOT for the Clara. That's the point I wasn't quite making. Sorry for not making that clear.

Quote:
Lets skip the "are those features make or break" argument, they're all enhancements the Clara has over the Aura 2. The Nia equalizes at least the first two, and unless I've missed something (it's possible) you're guessing at the resolution based on the Tolino Page 2's resolution.
The Kobo Nia IS a hardware clone of the Tolino Page 2. It's the low-end Kobo, not a replacement for the Clara.

Quote:
Even assuming you're right on the resolution, it's unwise to clutter the sku's with hardware that's so close feature-wise. It might drive a few people toward the Clara, but they've already got that push with the Aura 2, why create new hardware to replace something to serve the same purpose?

The Clara is all of 10 bucks more on Staples.ca which does not appear to be a sales price.
I know. And the (as mentioned before) the Kobo Aura Edition was also $10 less than the Clara. It never made a lot of sense in that case either. But I'm guessing Walmart will be selling the Nia for $99 in the U.S.

The "purpose" of the Nia is to compete with the Kindle Basic (hardware-wise it's superior to the Kindle Basic, and it can still be put on sale $60 or $70.) The purpose of the Clara is to compete with the Kindle Paperwhite (more of an even match, the Clara has warm light but the Paperwhite is waterproof and has a flush screen).

Kobo now has the same (hardware) as their cousins at Tolino. Apparently Kobo sees value in carrying 4 SKUs.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:27 AM   #139
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
The Kobo Nia IS a hardware clone of the Tolino Page 2. It's the low-end Kobo, not a replacement for the Clara.
Don't be so sure about that. When Kobo launched the Aura Ed. 2 within a few months they discontinued the Glo HD and it was quite awhile before the Clara HD came out. History can easily repeat itself.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:46 AM   #140
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I know. The Nia is a replacement for the Kobo Aura Edition, NOT for the Clara. That's the point I wasn't quite making. Sorry for not making that clear.
No, I got that. I disagree with this. Specifically I don't think it's a given.

Quote:

I know. And the (as mentioned before) the Kobo Aura Edition was also $10 less than the Clara. It never made a lot of sense in that case either. But I'm guessing Walmart will be selling the Nia for $99 in the U.S.
The Clara came out nearly a full two years after the Aura ed. 2, pricing it over the Aura made sense. And keeping the Aura ed 2 made sense as its diminished feature set versus the Clara would make consumers jump to the only slightly more expensive Clara.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #141
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

(It's got the same specs as the Tolino Page 2. I'm pretty sure .26" thick is supposed to be .36" thick.)

Kobo Nia sleepcovers at BestBuy.ca

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/search?search=kobo+nia
'Breaking news' story from GoodEreader's 'inside sources' is furiously being typed up as we speak, I'm sure.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #142
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

Kobo Nia sleepcovers at BestBuy.ca

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/search?search=kobo+nia
published, with credit given

kudos!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:39 AM   #143
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Kobo launchng hardware? Not soon.
How much do you want to bet, Felix?
Old 06-21-2020, 12:17 PM   #144
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Staples ad clearly specifies Nia with comfort light.

Enjoy reading at night with built-in, adjustable ComfortLight

It looks a lot like a Clara to me.

Last edited by Calenorn; 06-21-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #145
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post

I don't like Kobo's cutesy naming. But anyway, ComfortLight is any/all lighting. ConfortLight Pro is the lighting that turns orange on the Clara, Libra and Forma.

The Nia looks a lot like the Aura 2 to me.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:26 AM   #146
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
How much do you want to bet, Felix?
Look at the date of the post. What's your definition of "soon"?
Any time within a year? Months, weeks?

The thread started in April.
We're in late June.
Not only is mother's day past, but also Father's day.
July is around the corner.

(And it isn't actually shipping yet, is it?)

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-22-2020 at 06:28 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:48 AM   #147
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Look at the date of the post. What's your definition of "soon"?
Any time within a year? Months, weeks?

The thread started in April.
We're in late June.
Not only is mother's day past, but also Father's day.
July is around the corner.

(And it isn't actually shipping yet, is it?)
Your post is from last week.

It looks like the new device is going to launch tomorrow.

Edit: I would say that counts as soon.

Last edited by Nate the great; 06-22-2020 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:58 AM   #148
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post

Now 404 on that Staples link.

So now I'm wondering: Yesterday will be tomorrow, and today is now - where's that predictive launch?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:14 PM   #149
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Now 404 on that Staples link.

So now I'm wondering: Yesterday will be tomorrow, and today is now - where's that predictive launch?
Don't worry.
It'll be here... Real. Soon. Now.

I'm still not holding my breath.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:15 PM   #150
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Don't worry.
It'll be here... Real. Soon. Now.

I'm still not holding my breath.
that's good, because I wasn't looking forward to giving you mouth to mouth resuscitation