Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #46
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not to counter your claim that it's working for you with v0.9.0, Doitsu, but... doesn't your plugin use the system PATH to locate the java executable?
You're correct in that it'll only work if the Java executable path has been defined via the Windows PATH environment variable. I.e., if you open a Windows command line prompt and enter, for example, java -version, it should display the version number.
(The actual epubcheck.jar file is in the same folder as plugin.py and is located via Sigil Plugin Launcher functions.)

Whatever the Calibre Open With code does, it doesn't seem to affect the execution of the epubcheck plugin, at least on 64bit Windows 10 machines.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
@DNSB: Could you please provide the following information:

Sigil version:
Installed Python version(s):

Also please indicate whether you've installed the 32bit or 64bit versions of Sigil and Python.
Calibre: 2.4.3 x64, multiple plugins
Sigil: 0.9.0 x64
Installed Python: 2.7 32 bit and 3.4.3 64 bit

The 32 bit version is needed when I use a 3D printer.

To do some testing, I booted up an Insider Preview Windows 10 VM.

OS: Windows 10 x64 build 10576 running under VMWare Workstation
Calibre: 2.4.3 x64 with Open With and Kobo Utilities plugins
Sigil: 0.9.0 x64
Installed Python: None

Result: Flightcrew works either way, epubcheck works from Sigil when launched from command line but does not work when using the Open With plugin to launch.

Code:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Sigil\plugin_launchers\python\launcher.py", line 135, in launch
    self.exitcode = target_script.run(container)
  File "C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\EpubCheck\plugin.py", line 32, in run
    result = jarWrapper(*args)
  File "C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\EpubCheck\plugin.py", line 9, in jarWrapper
    process = Popen(list(args), stdout=PIPE, stderr=PIPE)
  File "subprocess.py", line 859, in __init__
  File "subprocess.py", line 1112, in _execute_child
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified
Error: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #48
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Thanks for the detailed information. I believe you're getting this error message because the plugin can't find the Java executable.

Did you follow the instructions at the bottom of the very first post about adding a path to the Java executable to the Windows PATH environment variable and do you see the version number, if you enter java -version in a command prompt window?

If not, this might be the cause of the problem, because the plugin assumes that the java executable can be found via PATH (or other environment variables).

(I've added the path to the PATH environment variable and have no problems running the epubcheck plugin via Calibre.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Result: Flightcrew works either way, epubcheck works from Sigil when launched from command line but does not work when using the Open With plugin to launch.
FlightCrew will always work, because because the FlightCrew binary is in a pre-defined, known location, while the Java binary might be in any number of directories.

Maybe a Calibre plugin developer could develop a Calibre epubcheck plugin for you?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #49
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed information. I believe you're getting this error message because the plugin can't find the Java executable.

Did you follow the instructions at the bottom of the very first post about adding a path to the Java executable to the Windows PATH environment variable and do you see the version number, if you enter java -version in a command prompt window?

If not, this might be the cause of the problem, because the plugin assumes that the java executable can be found via PATH (or other environment variables).

(I've added the path to the PATH environment variable and have no problems running the epubcheck plugin via Calibre.)
When I ran java -version, it displayed the version. However, this was using Oracle's symlink path. When epubcheck didn't work, I added the direct path to the x64 java as the first item in the PATH variable.

Code:
Original:
Path=C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;

Modified:
Path=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_65\bin;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;
Quote:
FlightCrew will always work, because because the FlightCrew binary is in a pre-defined, known location, while the Java binary might be in any number of directories.

Maybe a Calibre plugin developer could develop a Calibre epubcheck plugin for you?
I've been using a batch file to check epubs so will just continue using that when I need/want to use epubcheck.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-10-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #50
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Further on...

I edited the plugin.py file to add the java path to the 'java' item in line 29 and the plugin works when spawning Sigil using Calibre's Open With plugin. So it would appear that the Open With plugin is not passing the path properly.

Code:
args = ['C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.8.0_65\\bin\\java.exe', '-jar', epc_path, temp_dir, '-mode', 'exp']
Admittedly this is not an answer since I don't want to edit plugin.py every couple of weeks.
Advert
Old 11-11-2015, 10:54 AM   #51
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Find the basename of java.exe : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...s-command-line

Tell Open With to insert the value of that^^ into clean_env['PATH']
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #52
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Find the basename of java.exe : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...s-command-line

Tell Open With to insert the value of that^^ into clean_env['PATH']
Unfortunately since the path changes with every Java update, it's going to be the same issue as my adding the path to the .py file—update every Java update.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-11-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #53
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Disabling the path removal before launching Sigil from the Open With plugin corrects the issue. So far in opening, editing and validating 10 epubs, I haven't had an issue with Sigil so looks as if that code is not needed for Sigil 0.9.0.

One note is that I am—probably—one of the few people who drag Calibre's Book Detail pane into non-existence so right clicking on the format in that pane to launch Sigil is not an option without adding what I consider to be a waste of precious screen space back into view. As usual, YMMV.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:14 PM   #54
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There has to exist a Windows API (or maybe direct registry queries) to replicate these commands:
Code:
assoc .jar
.jar=jarfile

ftype jarfile
jarfile="C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_31\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #55
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unfortunately since the path changes with every Java update, it's going to be the same issue as my adding the path to the .py file—update every Java update.
Perhaps you didn't fully understand what I suggested?

That link provides a way to search the current PATH, and determine what
Code:
C:\> java.exe
resolves to.

There would be no need to manually update either Doitsu's epubcheck plugin OR the calibre Open With plugin, because the calibre plugin is saving the java path before clearing everything else away.

Trust me, I wasn't suggesting Yet Another Way to manually update it every time, I have no patience for manual updating myself.

That being said, using calibre to open a book in Sigil is slightly roundabout, considering calibre has its own builtin Editor...

I'd also like to know why, oh why, does Java feel the need to make highly unpredictable paths, and why has Microsoft never figured out how to provide a decent CLI, but that is getting waaaaaaaaaaaay offtopic.
java is always /usr/bin/java on MY computer.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #56
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Perhaps you didn't fully understand what I suggested?

That link provides a way to search the current PATH, and determine what
Code:
C:\> java.exe
resolves to.

There would be no need to manually update either Doitsu's epubcheck plugin OR the calibre Open With plugin, because the calibre plugin is saving the java path before clearing everything else away.
Okay, I see what you mean. Unfortunately, I'm not able to modify the Open With Python code to be able to extract the returned path from running a Windows CLI tool. My current solution of removing the path clear from Open With works for now and given the rate of updates to Open With, my only worry is forgetting what the bleep I did to fix the issue before a new version comes out.

Quote:
Trust me, I wasn't suggesting Yet Another Way to manually update it every time, I have no patience for manual updating myself.
That's what a computer is for -- to do those repetitive tasks.

Quote:
That being said, using calibre to open a book in Sigil is slightly roundabout, considering calibre has its own builtin Editor...
Again personal preferences. I've used the Calibre editor and prefer Sigil.

Quote:
I'd also like to know why, oh why, does Java feel the need to make highly unpredictable paths, and why has Microsoft never figured out how to provide a decent CLI, but that is getting waaaaaaaaaaaay offtopic.
java is always /usr/bin/java on MY computer.
On my Windows box, it's always C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\ for the latest version. A few versions back Oracle added that symlink which is updated when Java is installed.

As for the unpredictable paths? There are quite a few programs that require a specific version of Java. Some install the Java files within their own directory, other's expect to find the version where the Sun/Oracle installer would place it. I supported Java 1.4.2 for quite a few years after 1.5 and 1.6 were released for that reason.

Anyhow, time to let this thread die since we need the Hubbell to see the topic.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-11-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #57
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
One note is that I am—probably—one of the few people who drag Calibre's Book Detail pane into non-existence so right clicking on the format in that pane to launch Sigil is not an option without adding what I consider to be a waste of precious screen space back into view. As usual, YMMV.
@DNSB - You could set a calibre keyboard shortcut for Open With... Sigil, I use Shift 'S' (had it with the Open With PI, now the built-in Open With has it).

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #58
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
On my Windows box, it's always C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\ for the latest version. A few versions back Oracle added that symlink which is updated when Java is installed.
Glory be.
I've had one of those for a long time now...

Quote:
As for the unpredictable paths? There are quite a few programs that require a specific version of Java. Some install the Java files within their own directory, other's expect to find the version where the Sun/Oracle installer would place it. I supported Java 1.4.2 for quite a few years after 1.5 and 1.6 were released for that reason.
Yes, there is always bundling it of course, old versions are evil.

Quote:
Anyhow, time to let this thread die since we need the Hubbell to see the topic.
Very good point.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #59
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@DNSB - You could set a calibre keyboard shortcut for Open With... Sigil, I use Shift 'S' (had it with the Open With PI, now the built-in Open With has it).

BR
You can also access the builtin open with functionality by right clicking the view button and choosing view specific format (or right clicking a book entry and choosing that).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #60
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Disabling the path removal before launching Sigil from the Open With plugin corrects the issue. So far in opening, editing and validating 10 epubs, I haven't had an issue with Sigil so looks as if that code is not needed for Sigil 0.9.0.
Did you just remove the path change, or also change it so that Sigil was opened in the same way as other Windows apps? The other differences were probably about making the PATH removal work, so it will probably work that way.

I'll do a little testing and talk to kiwidude about updating the plugin.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote