Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Trouble classifying our book with great detail to readers

Okay, simple question, maybe no simple answer;

Our book, "Tree of Life", while set in a Fantasy realm with elves, mages and such, it isn't really about fantasy elements, it's a story about mortality. So while it lives and breathes in a land of fantasy that's not the core focus of the story, it really tends to fall more into the complexity of relationships, bitterness of unjust death and the consumption of revenge.

So what would you classify it as? Perhaps that's too much to ask - though I was hoping maybe someone else had written a similar story line that could provide a degree of classification.

( Extended previews for any interested available here - http://elitadaniels.com/?page=books )

Many thanks,
Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Most of the fantasy I read (at least the "good stuff") is not really about magic and elves and what-have-you. I'd still classify it as fantasy, but that's just my opinion.

For example (and I know I've used this example a few times recently, but they're good books, darnit!), Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy. It's classified as fantasy, it involves magic, the magic is central to the story-line, but in the end the books are truly about the growth of characters and the personal relationships between them.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Okay, I'm not an author, however, when I categorize books, I categorize them by genre, not content within.

Does that make sense?

Tree of Life has to be fantasy, because of the magic, elves, and setting.

The rest is just icing on the cake......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks - I appreciate that; Of course, I suppose the sub-catagory aspects are also what I was trying to get more of a grasp on - eg, Fantasy-Romance/dark...ack, too many options, not enough coffee.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wikipedia offers the following sub-genres by theme. Based on these choices, I would suggest saying your book is "High Fantasy"
  • by Theme
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Valmore,

Many thanks once again. Glad to see that "high-fantasy" is where it falls, since that's what I started out promoting it as... well that and a bit of romance

Paul.