Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-07-2023, 10:56 AM   #1
mt.msla
Enthusiast
mt.msla began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 3gb
Horizontal scrollbar in editor window

Is it possible to get a plugin for Sigil, or an update to the program itself, such that a horizontal scroll displays in the editor window under the currently open pages, reminiscent of VS Code?

Man, that would be nice.

Thanks for listening.

- Andy
mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:53 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Not sure why you would need to scroll under normal circumstances??? The main editing window (code view) automatically wraps… and if you select to not wrap then a horizontal scroll bar appears IIRC.

Unless you are talking about a scroll bar instead of the arrows to select the different tabs when you have multiples open at a time???
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 01:49 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
As Turtle91 says, the CodeView editing window does auto wrap while still properly numbering the lines. If you turn off wrapping (the default) then a horizontal scrollbar will appear if needed.

Also fyi, Plugins in Sigil can not modify the Sigil ui itself by design for safety reasons (to help prevent a plugin from crashing Sigil), so a plugin is not what you are looking for.

What version of Sigil and what Platform are you using? If Linux perhaps some desktop theme is interfering with the scrollbar being shown?
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 04:40 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Perhaps the OP is referring to the scroll bar slider, they can be very hard to see in Windows. It's a Qt dark mode 'thing', there are threads about it in the calibre editor forum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-08 083035.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	198870

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 04:59 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could be.

But even in your image both horizontal and vertical scrollbars are visible and right where you expect them to be. They just don't jump out at you, which I personally like, but to each their own.

Of course, one could use Sigil/Qt's .qss file approach to try to style them.
Old 01-07-2023, 06:30 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A horizontal scroll bar with a slider you can't see is about as useful as….

But I normally have line wrap enabled so it rarely bothers me.

I wonder if the OP realises that line wrap is toggled in the CV context menu. I recall initially looking for it in preferences, then in the menus; and cursing before I finally found it

BR
Old 01-07-2023, 07:26 PM   #7
mt.msla
Enthusiast
mt.msla began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 3gb
"Unless you are talking about a scroll bar instead of the arrows to select the different tabs when you have multiples open at a time???"

Yes.

mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 07:36 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Sorry, the tab bar will create arrow buttons when it gets too crowded but a scrollbar there is not something we will be adding.

Use the BookBrowser to force the tabbar to bring the file you want to the front when too many tabs are opened. You can also right click on a tab to close all others to help keep a small working set size.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:43 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
A horizontal scroll bar with a slider you can't see is about as useful as….

But I normally have line wrap enabled so it rarely bothers me.

I wonder if the OP realises that line wrap is toggled in the CV context menu. I recall initially looking for it in preferences, then in the menus; and cursing before I finally found it

BR
Funny, the horizontal slider is at the bottom left corner in your image and I can easily see it (even without your red box!). I have more trouble seeing the vertical slider as it is expanded and therefore fainter in your image.

Custom colours for the slider may be possible. But if calibre suffers from the same thing, it might be something that Windows dark mode needs to address or Qt itself.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:20 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Other applications in Windows dark mode are fine out of the box, e.g. file managers, office, browsers, editors etc - for me its just Qt apps Sigil and Calibre.

FYI : Calibre Editor: Scroll bars with higher contrast

BR
Old 01-08-2023, 10:26 AM   #11
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I would be happy to add in a windows dark mode specific Qt .qss stylesheet to the CodeView editor to increase contrast but since I do not have access to a Windows box and can not see the issue or compare against other non Qt apps in dark mode, I have no way to test anything.

Sigil can already read and use a .qss stylesheet, so if someone with access to Windows can generate a piece of stylesheet, I would be happy to include it.

See:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-15865

and

https://forum.qt.io/topic/104646/why...is-transparent

for ideas and approaches.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-08-2023 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-08-2023, 02:02 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There's already a generic windows dark mode qss resource (:/dark/win-dark-style.qss) that gets loaded by Misc/SigilDarkStyle.cpp (which in turn is loaded on Windows whenever main.cpp determines that windows dark mode is wanted).

That existing resource might be the place to put some changes. Especially if assigning a new qss file/resource to CodeView causes any issues with the default qss.

Preview's scrollbars are styled by css being injected.

@BeckyEbook is pretty handy with this qss stuff. She contributed a lot to the Windows dark mode when we were first tweaking it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-08-2023 at 02:09 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
editor, horizontal scroll, plugin, scroll, update