Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 02:17 AM   #1
mouso
mouso began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nook Color vs. Pocketbook IQ

So, thanks to all of y'all on this forum I have it narrowed down to 2 choices: Nook Color or the PocketBook IQ 701.

Currently I read on my iTouch and I do a lot of reading in the dark, so I do want an LCD reader.
The most important requirement is that the new reader be able to download library ebooks from Overdrive (Adobe DRM, yes?), and as far as I know my ipod can't. I am tired of paying for books!

I like the idea that the PocketBook is not locked and that I can access a Kindle app too, as I have a lot of Kindle books. But the Nook sounds like it has a better touch screen.
I am interested in being able to browse the internet easily as well, if possible.

The weight may or may not be a factor. I often read in bed while getting my babe to sleep, so I am often one-handed.

As the difference is $100 I am willing to buy either one. And it's my birthday Tuesday so I can get whichever I want! What would you buy?

Feel free to mention another if you feel it's a better fit.
Thanks for your help!
mouso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Happy birthday, Mouso. Good to have your new company, I've never used a colour LCD reader, but many here have. I'm sure you'll soon get the sound advice you need. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Happy birthday, Mouso. Good to have your new company, I've never used a colour LCD reader, but many here have. I'm sure you'll soon get the sound advice you need. Best wishes. Neil
Happy birthday, Mouso! I, too, can't really give you any solid advice as I haven't used either device, but I have to say that I like the idea that Pocketbook IQ has a Kindle app, that way you get the best of both worlds - a Kindle bookstore and epub. On the other hand, I just read a good review for the Nook Colour last night that says that it handles PDFs well, another good feature. Maybe you could try to find some video reviews on youtube for both devices? That might give you a feel for what there strong and weak points are. Best of luck with your choice.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
My gut-feeling says, go for the IQ... Can't really explain why. Maybe because it's an independent device.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:45 AM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
My gut-feeling says, go for the IQ... Can't really explain why. Maybe because it's an independent device.
I'm sort of leaning that way too, but it might be because I've admired the Pocketbook devices in general for a while and have been thinking of getting one, whereas I was never too impressed with the Nook. Also, there is quite a price difference - the Pocketbook IQ is $150, making it almost an impulse buy. And now I've half talked myself into getting one, so I'd probably better stop before I get out of hand
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I'm sort of leaning that way too, but it might be because I've admired the Pocketbook devices in general for a while and have been thinking of getting one, whereas I was never too impressed with the Nook. Also, there is quite a price difference - the Pocketbook IQ is $150, making it almost an impulse buy. And now I've half talked myself into getting one, so I'd probably better stop before I get out of hand
You might as well finish the other half as well then, and write a review of it!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It really comes down to what you will use it for.
The NookColor *does* have the better screen and touch controls.
But it is *not* an Android webpad tablet. It is limited to the apps B&N allows on it. The way they talk, I'm not even sure it can be hacked to get generic Android apps to run. So if the out-of-box NookColor meets your needs, it is a good buy.

The IQ looks like it'll need some early care and feeding.
Until we get some real-world reports on the release firmware we really won't know how the native apps will perform. The pros are substantial: you can just about buy an IQ and a PB360 for the price of the Nook (at least while the PB360 remains on sale at US$129. ) The screen has a book-like aspect ratio. It is, in fact, a wide-open android tablet, so yes; Kindle runs. Side-by-side with the Nook app, the Kobo app, Aldiko, FBreader, and the native Pocketbook reading environment. The latter, on the *eink readers* is a very polished and flexible package. On the IQ? Unclear.

Which brings up the cons of the IQ: it is a fresh release. There is a risk you might be in for a few months of wrestling with the "firmware of the month".
The touchscreen thing? All the evidence is the IQ's resisitive touchscreen is good but it is *not* a capacitance screen. Fast swipes will *not* be reliably detected. Taps, drags, and *slow* swipes will. That much we already know. It's the nature of the tech and part of the reason for the price differential.

If you can live with the lockdown B&N has imposed on NookColor it looks like a good buy.
If you can live with the uncertainty of its outright newness, the IQ could be a great buy. If you are willing to exploit the Android environment, rather than relying just of the included features, the IQ has a ot more to offer than merely ebooks in color for $150.

Me, I have a PB360 (and love it) and I'm intrigued by the potential of the IQ so I'm likely going to get one as my christmas toy. But I doubt it will displace the 360 as my primary reader; the 360 is too good for that, it fits my ebook needs too well for any touch device to replace it, color or no color...

Bottom-line: better screen and swipe-responsiveness with NookColor versus the freedom and significantly-lower cost of the IQ. You really *can* get a second reader for the extra $100, you know. A Libre, a Kobo, a Jetbook, a black friday Nook, a PB360, or even a Kindle WiFi.(A slight stretch the last two but the point stands.)

Neither looks to be a bad choice.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-22-2010 at 07:29 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
The Pocketbook IQ looks like it will be a decent reader, but after my experience with the Pandigital Novel and the Velocity Cruz Reader (both have similar hardware) I would try one out first.

The main issues are: touchscreen, resolution, and processor.

Resistive touchscreens can be frustrating, and screen response issues will definitely hinder your enjoyment. The nook color had a very nice capacitive, multitouch screen.

The resolution on the Pocketbook is 800 x 600, which isn't bad until you compare it to the nook color's 1024 x 600 ips screen. To me, if you are going to get an lcd reader, you want the best possible screen. The Samsung Galaxy Tab, ipad, and nook color all have superior screens which makes reading much better. The nook color also has really nice pixel density.

Then, there is the processor issue. The nook color has a great processor with 512mb of ram. The Pocketbook is clocked at 533mhz, and only had 256mb of ram. This will effect performance, especially with future apps/updates.

My experience with the nook color has been mostly positive so far. The main issue with it right now is that the software is not optimized yet for the hardware. In time, much like the original nook, it will mature and performance will be significantly improved. But, the reading experience really isn't hindered at all. Also, the device is locked down right now, so until the app store opens in early 2011, you only have what is shipped with the device (music playback, Pandora radio, video, chess, soduku, etc.). The good news is that the device seems to be close to being hacked. If that occurs, it will truly be the best tablet/lcd reader in its class.

Last edited by Noah98; 11-22-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #9
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Then, there is the processor issue. The nook color has a great processor with 512mb of ram. The Pocketbook is clocked at 533mhz, and only had 256mb of ram. This will effect performance, especially with future apps/updates.
The hardware of the IQ is supposed to be an improvement from the PDN, going up to 800mhz for more demanding activities. So I've read in the Pocketbook forums. I think there were other slight technical differences, can't recall.

In any case, it's indisputable that the Nook Color is the superior ereader in terms of hardware. You get what you pay for, and although the IQ isn't bad at all from the impressions and reviews I've read, if this factor is important to you, it obviously has to sway your decision greatly in favour of the Nook Color.

If hardware isn't so important to you, then there's the various softwares to decide between. Most have already covered the positives and negatives of either, I think, but to reiterate, the Nook Color is pretty much locked down to third-party apps except those which they'll permit through their own marketplace, and you won't be seeing a Kindle app officially any time soon, I bet. Of course you can root the Color when hacks eventually come out, though whether it's worth the bother is up to you.

How important is an integrated bookstore to you? The IQ has BookLand, but seems to be an unknown quantity, and I'm guessing many IQ users would get their content from other sources. On the other hand, Nook users clearly enjoy being able to browse and purchase from B&N directly.

(... Just as a sidenote to my learned companions, is there anything stopping a person from running the Nook Android app on the IQ? Not that it pertains to your thread, OP, but I'm suddenly seized by curiosity. )

Disclaimer: I'm getting the Pocketbook IQ. I like the low price, am intrigued by the Pocketbook software, and as a non-American it's a better fit for me than B&N's offerings.

Last edited by viviena; 11-22-2010 at 07:56 AM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
All the evidence is the IQ's resisitive touchscreen is good but it is *not* a capacitance screen.
That's a huuuge pro in my book. I never liked those capacitive touch screens. I prefer stylii (stylusses?) Call me old-fashioned...
Old 11-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Interesting, I just discovered the PB IQ this morning and came here to check into it. Perhaps an open platform like this is the best of both worlds? But master of none?

It's certainly priced right. Wonder if the trade-offs limit its usability, i.e., are you better off with a dedicated device like the K3 or CNook and live with the limitations imposed by the platform and system... or get something open that can run Kindle apps (does BN have something like that too?) and can still do epub, etc.?

Don't y'all love it when a newbie comes on here and messes with the forums by tossing out these black and white questions in a very gray world?
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
That's a huuuge pro in my book. I never liked those capacitive touch screens. I prefer stylii (stylusses?) Call me old-fashioned...
Okay. I will.
A friend of mine bought an iPad and then spent an extra $300 trying to turn it into a TabletPC (keyboard, stand, stylus). The stylus he got was specially made for the capacitance screen; it looked and worked a lot like an old-fashioned crayon. He's happy.

Me, I'm *not* into swiping or pinching (you tend to get slapped for that, or so I hear ) but I do like being able to use a multi-purpose pen/stylus with my Axim. Resistive screens have their uses, Apple's hyper-screen notwithstanding.

Ultimately, it all depends on whether you buy your toys for their functionality or for their specshheets.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
(does BN have something like that too?)
Yes, it's called Nook For Android. (Used to be called BNReader.)
Kobo/Borders also has one.
Sony is (belatedly) planning one.
Even iSilo runs on Android. (for some people that alone is a selling point. Long story. )
And Overdrive should be finishing theirs up any day now.
Plus there are several good DRM-free readers apps, too.
The only one of consequence that is missing is Stanza.
On the other hand, it has several good Browsers and email clients and a full complement of news and media apps. And with documents-to-go you get to work with Office Documents, too.

Open Android webpads have their uses; it's up to you to figure out if they fit your needs.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Ultimately, it all depends on whether you buy your toys for their functionality or for their specshheets.
Duh! You buy your toys because they look good!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #15
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Here is a Pocketbook IQ review from The E-book reader (a great site):

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/pocketbook-iq.html

(Man, I really think I might pick one up for my hubby... and then usurp it.)