Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
Kythe42
Zealot
Kythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Android tablet
4.3 viewer feedback.

Thank you, Kovid, for re-adding the side toolbar. It's not 100% the same as the previous one, but I'm not sure that anything that's missing is anything that I actually used.

Will it be possible to get the top toolbar added back as an option as well in a future version? As I stated as feedback in a previous version, the ability to add the book position to the page header doesn't do me much good if I can't actually click on it and type in the book position. I realize that this has been added as an option in the control menu, but it takes two clicks to get to it which is very inconvenient when you want to quickly switch back and forth between two or more positions. It would also be nice to be able to have the search box permanently docked. I think overall I just also really liked having the top toolbar there to frame things. It just feels more comfortable for my eyes somehow.

Regarding the headers/footers themselves, would it be possible to be able to set the font size for them in a future version? They're too small as they currently are.

I find that I'm still really struggling with the new control and preference menus hurting my eyes within a few seconds making it extremely difficult to use them. Despite the pain that it's causing me, I'm trying to look back and forth between these menus on the different versions to try to pinpoint what I think might be the problem for me. It's difficult to be certain, but I think what might be hurting my eyes about these new menus is that things are too large. I'm not sure the actual text is any larger, but the buttons, tabs, or whatever you want to call them that the text is in are definitely larger in the new version.

Then on top of them feeling too large, they all feel really crowded and squished together being contained within the confines of the viewer, whereas in the previous viewer it was a popup menu that could be resized to a larger size than what I had the viewer itself set as. I realize people's mileage may vary on this depending on what size they tend to have the viewer window set as, but I have mine set at a comfortable size for me for the purposes of reading which is the full vertical length of my screen, but less than half the width of my screen.

As I said, this is my best guess for why the menus on the new viewer hurt my eyes, but this sort of thing can really be subject to trial and error to figure it out.

Thanks for your continued work on this project. I hope my feedback has been helpful.
Kythe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Kythe
The toolbar is dockable. Grab the bar in the Left margin and move it to where you want it.
(my pref was the Right edge)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #3
Kythe42
Zealot
Kythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipse

I'm sorry if this wasn't clear, but I want both a left toolbar and a top toolbar like I previously had, and the current toolbar does not have the functions that the previous top toolbar did.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kythe42 View Post
I'm sorry if this wasn't clear, but I want both a left toolbar and a top toolbar like I previously had, and the current toolbar does not have the functions that the previous top toolbar did.
Sorry, I was not even aware the old viewer HAD multiple tool bars

(I only used the one I moved to the Left. And that looked just like what I restored in 4.3)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #5
Kythe42
Zealot

Interesting. It was the default when I started using Calibre, and I liked it just fine. I can't even find an option to disable just the top toolbar. I can only find an option for hiding them in general which hides both of the toolbars. I wonder if you might have had both of them docked on the same side of the viewer, which is possible to do, but if you had it set up that way, it would probably look like more options were missing from the toolbar being added back in 4.3.
Advert
Old 11-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I hoped/assumed the shortcut to toggle show/hide the toolbar would also be restored, it takes 2 keystrokes and 3 mouse clicks to do what Ctrl/F11 did.

Problem: show the toolbar when not in full screen mode, then press F11, there's no tool bar - there's empty space where it ought to be. Close the viewer, then view same or another book, it will open in full screen mode and the toolbar is there.

There's no option to clear the recently read list, it used to be at the top of the list.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:51 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As is noted in the chagelog simply press the ; key to go to a location.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
Kythe42
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As is noted in the chagelog simply press the ; key to go to a location.
Thanks, I suppose I didn't see that when I was reading it. While that does make it faster to get to the go to menu, it would be vastly preferable to be able to do it without it covering up the entire text of the book, which is another reason it would be nice to have the option to add the other toolbar back in a future version. I also greatly prefer solutions that aren't dependant on keyboard shortcuts because with the exception of the keyboard commands for cut/copy/paste, I find them to be quite difficult to remember.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #9
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
The improved startup time on big epubs is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #10
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
+1 appreciation for improved startup time!

An unrelated thing; I didn't realize how much I used the combo box drop-down of previously searched words. Any chance of adding that in the new viewer?
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
An unrelated thing; I didn't realize how much I used the combo box drop-down of previously searched words. Any chance of adding that in the new viewer?

Also see this.

BR
Old 11-09-2019, 08:42 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's still there, just type a letter and completions from previous searches will pop up
Old 11-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #13
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
True, but only those you remember the first character for--which I confess I don't always.

And if it's going to be keyboard focused, I don't think it's working quite right. I can arrow down, but only the letter(s) typed are searched for.

IE, I search, type 't', arrow down to previously searched 'tomorrow', hit enter, search highlights the next 't'.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:08 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Freshly discovered feature/bug - press space in search box, then backspace - et voila - list of recent searches

Please don't fix it

BR
Old 11-10-2019, 02:19 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

you dont have to press space you can press any key